SITE REVIEW: noiseweb

• vt220
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

Trying to get a specialized web design service for bands & musicians going, and have set up a site for it at http://noiseweb.tornes.co.uk.

I know the page looks simple, but that is exactly what I'm trying to achieve. I feel quite strongly about making websites more clutter free and user friendly, and my philosophy is that the design should support the content, not take away from it.

Anyway, please let me know what you think!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is good and clean, and you are correct that the style should supplement the content. A good website is one that the visitor doesn't think anything about it when they are on it, but when they come back they remember it. You site though, has a lot of white space. I think adding a little bit of color would help it quite a bit.
  • sv2
  • sv2
  • Loc: Russia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really clean HTML and CSS :)
I agree - too much white space around. Probably making website with fixed weight would decrease the effect.
Also, I think for website like that would be simple but effecient to add theme's selection (just switching different CSS) - it could attract visitor's attention.
  • vt220
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right, site's been updated a bit:

- "flare" background image added
- Content is wrapped in a centered div with a width of 900px IF the browser window is more than 900px, otherwise wrap and content width is set to auto

Any improvement?

vt
  • drojdierii
  • drojdierii
  • Loc: GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

the use of frames = strike one.
I think you should use divs if not straight pages....
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice, I'm very glad that you have a W3C Valid page ... Good job ...

drojdierii wrote:

HUH?

please make the link of the page that a user is on unclickable, for instance, if the user is on the "home" page, make the "home" link unclickable ... That way, users don't redirect to the page that they are already on ...

On the "home" page the "home" link is in red, but it isn't so on the "services" page ...

Maybe your url is a bit difficult to remember ... is it going to stay on a subdomain, or will you get a domain for it ... ?
  • vt220
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

drojdierii wrote:
I think you should use divs if not straight pages....

What frames?

righteous_trespasser wrote:

please make the link of the page that a user is on unclickable, for instance, if the user is on the "home" page, make the "home" link unclickable ... That way, users don't redirect to the page that they are already on ...

Good idea... Done!

On the "home" page the "home" link is in red, but it isn't so on the "services" page ...

Oops... Fixed!

Maybe your url is a bit difficult to remember ... is it going to stay on a subdomain, or will you get a domain for it ... ?

Yeah, I own noiseweb.net, just haven't got around to hosting it yet!

vt
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great stuff ... LOL @ drojdierii for that frames comment ...
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

The flare thing is a nice touch, it kind of gives it that sparkle. If you wanted to go a little fancier, you could make an image like this one using the red/black color scheme you have on the borders, then incorporate a guitar or a drum set or something using a gray scale coloring like in your logo. That might look pretty sharp if you put some time into photoshopping it, but it might also start distracting site visitors from the actual content. What I am imagining is to have your logo and W3C validations use a position: absolute; style and then the same for the fancy graffic at the bottom, then the rest of the content would move when scrolled. It might look pretty cool, but then it is kind of going against your simple website goal.

edit: The pages in your portfolio are real good too, keep it up!
  • zhaira
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • zhaira

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site is good and clean but you need to add more content and features. Add sitemap at the footer of your page.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers