SITE REVIEW: Nottingham Website Design

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone

It has been a while since I have had anything to post up here, but there is something that I have been working on.

This is the beginning of a website development company that I am starting up. This is the website, it is very much incomplete with the portfolio and price lists not online as I am currently working on them.

What I would like reviewing is the look, feel, coding, etc. I haven't had chance to run it through validators but I have been working on the general design and SEO.

Please let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions to improve it, do let me know

Thanks alot all

Nottingham Web Design
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ooo, just checked wc3... better get to fixing them tonight!
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very clean, modern and easy to navigate. Just wish I could see some of the work. The only suggestion would be to do a little something different with the footer. The gradient kind of looks off compared to the rest of page. But definitely a great start. Simple, but not boring. Modern but not cliche. Very good.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the review, i agree about the footer! I will get to work on that. I am writing up the pricing & portfolio page at the moment, they are lengthy sections, like the services section.
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remember this is a site about wed design. I wouldn't make it too wordy. Just dazzle with your work and make the prices clear and they will bite. You don't want to bore them with too many words.
  • theBruney
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it! I don't mind the gradient on the footer, but there's something about it that's not right. Maybe the alignment, think there should be some margin at the top from the edge.

Good job anyways.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Portfolio Added, various modifications including fix to footer. Anyone care to take a look
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

very pretty - I like the design, and I like the portfolio page. one thing that always bothers me - the pages jump about as you navigate. the first, third, fourth and fifth are a bit to the left, and the second and sixth are a bit to the right. It really ticks me off when sites do that.... get them all to center :D

other niggles - I wish the little pictures under the 'recent work' section were links to the sites themselves. Also the 'recent work' title bar is out of line with the 'pricing guidelines' and 'navigation' which it logically seems to want to be in line with......

Otherwise it looks really good... just, I don't know whether it bothers me that it's virtually all in tones of the same shade of blue.... maybe a color accent somewhere?
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quick Note: The recent work section is higher then the other 2 columns also they don't link to the actual projects.
  • emedia
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have a smart design. I think adding a price section is not good idea. You can add a alternative section like "Request for a quote". Try to shorten your word contents. Since a portfolio site will have to speak with the design. Any how this is a good start and great job!
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've noticed the bug on recent work, it was fine until i made the above changes, will fix now

Edit
Fixed one little bug, Thats one hell of an eagle eye Celandine, fixing that now
  • thesquareone
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • thesquareone

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like this site alot it does lok slightly dark but then i was squinting whilst wearing dark sunglasses :P seriously though it works fine on my computer, nothing i can see wrong, portfolio clickable would be good, i dont think prices should be added for certain elements as surely it would be quote on a bespoke site ?
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Thats one hell of an eagle eye Celandine, fixing that now

heh thanks :D that's what we're here for....

the title boxes are in line now, but the pages still jump about. guessing you just didn't get around to it yet....

visually, the more I look at it the more I like. real smooth design...
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do I get to any of the stuff you've done?
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

will look into the pages jumping about, just need a spare 5 mins away from SEO.

We decided that actually retaining links on the site was a bad idea as it is generally unreliable, a couple of examples were intranets and some have gone down over time. I guess the templates that were built can be put on as links, do you think this will be sufficient?

the more recent project, kekodesigns and cpm-services have links. But they were done before the company was formed and all creative minds came together ;)
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can the experts speak on this? I would like to know as I'm putting together my site, finally.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would think it's very important to show your customers reasonably large images representing your work. Not all portfolio sites link to real live examples of their work online, some just give images of the pages to illustrate the design work - (for the very reasons you list - not all of our work always ends up online, for various reasons, and some doesn't stay up - but you still want to show it to your future clients..)

I'd say it is crucially important that your site shows what you can do as a designer. this doesn't require live sites, because the coding of your own site will show that you know how to code. but do show people large image examples of your design work. you could include a gallery of stills or a little javascript that will give an enlarged image of the site in a tooltip box when the mouse hovers over the little thumbnail image............ I'd definitely do that for the 'recent works' section, and maybe even for the portfolio section (when I look at people's design I really want to see the fine detailing.... so your images for me are still a little on the small side)

unrelatedly to that, currently viewing in IE and I see a 1px turquoise blue line separating your header nav tabs from the main section of the page.... I think in other browser the dark blue tabs connected seamlessly to the main section. a new little bug? (I'll give you a screenshot if my explanation was unclear :D )
  • surogram
  • surogram

Post 3+ Months Ago

Loved the Website, Looked Good, Curious as to what city You used in the banner! Everything was easily laid out, but I would have liked to have seen your sample work enlarged or have the option, just saw thumbnails. Everything looked Great though and very easy to Use!
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, thanks for all of the input, it is greatly appreciated.

This is what I will do... hopefully tonight:
- Re-write the portfolio section, include local versions of the websites online as links. Include larger images as thumbnails?
- Attempt to fix IE bug
- Fix middle heading (around 1 px out horizontally from left & right sides)

anything else anyone can think off
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

that sounds like you've got it covered.... :D

I think thumbnails are fine thumbnail-sized, and they fit in with your design just the way they are. just make them into links to a larger version of the same image, so people can look at detail if they want to...

it'll be a really smashing site :D
  • brianxaviar
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • brianxaviar

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it, somtimes simple is better.

good job, not my cup o tea but it works

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers