SITE REVIEW: Obviatus.com

• X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I made a site for my brother's band, and the new design is at

http://www.obviatus.com/alpha_m/alpha.html

I really need some ideas. There are so few links, and a lot of room I need to fill up. I was thinking of putting a tagboard there, but I don't know if it would fit correctly.. any other ideas of things I could fill up with, or change the links so they take up more space? looks a bit odd right now.. :P
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• OSGEN
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • OSGEN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Band sites normally have stuff like performances, sample tracks, pictures, "latest news" and the link. stuff like that would really fill up your site.

take a look at what other band sites have on their sites to get some ideas.
  • onur
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Mesothelioma

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks too dark IMO. You could make the obviatus logo with a much lighter glow, I think that would give some breath of air to the site.

I like the "alpha" metaphor :)
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not a bad layout at all. I dislike the fact that the content covers the photoshopped pic all the way. I would get rid of the IFrames because they just cause complications. Try using tables and such for that. Nice job on making that photo line up within the iframe and all!

In the content, the text needs some padding so it doesn't ride the left border. Using CSS, just set padding: (top padding) (right padding) (bottom padding) (left padding). Or set padding: (num) to set it for all sides. Be sure to include what units you are using (px. pt. in. cm. %).

Perhaps on the lyrics page you could open it up into a well decorated page with the names of the songs as hyperlinks to the actual song lyrics so the visitor doesn't have to scroll.

I think the "obviatus" text at the top of the site looks funny being crossed over by this ~5px gray border. Maybe put the border under the name.

Also, after a quick code lookover I noticed you didn't use any CSS. Great job making more work for yourself! Lol. Learn CSS and use it. It'll save your life!

:-Corey-:
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site is taking a heck of a long time to load. Too long actually. You've gotta do something about that. It's still loading in all my browsers (IE, FF, NS & Opera).

You're missing alt tags on your images.

In your Lyrics page, I find your text is too close to the border, try adding a bit of space between the black border and where the text starts.

Also, you are aware I pressume that your content shows up differently in IE than any of your other browsers? In IE the background shows through the text but in all the other browsers, it's a white background. Try to stick to scripts or code that is cross browser compliant. Test your sites on all popular browsers!

On your navbar, don't shorten titles to save space. "Merch" should be displayed as the full title MERCHANDISE. You don't see any other professional site shortening words to save space. It just doesn't look very good. Make your font smaller if you need to keep it at that exact width.

Try to align your content better in the contact section. It's hard to read in IE as well because of the background transparency.

Don't forget to include your meta data!

If you're going to use jvs code, make sure to also include an alternative code to display to those browsers where users may have their jvs option turned off.

No need to display that last TD "<td></td>" remove it, it's located at the very bottom of your content.

As it was mentioned earlier, if it's a band's self promo site, include some sound bytes and/or photos maybe even some clips from shows.

Keep up the great work :)
  • X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know I should include some photos and some samples of music and stuff, but the problem is that we don't ahve any good recordings of live performances. We have taped them before, but the sounds from the DV cam just don't cut it. I have yet to find a good way to record the audio well enough so that it doesn't sound like crap -.-

And yes, I know that only in IE do the tables have transparency; this is because it is impossible to do in any other browser, so because many people use IE I decided to do that.

As for the problem with the border on the content pages - I am fixing it right now.

I know the page loads very slow.. The problem is the large image in the back which I cut up into some smaller pieces so that each piece could have less colors, an attempt at decreasing the load time. I'm going to have to find a image loader script with a progress bar (I used to have one which I used all the time that I found but I don't know what happened to it) so that actual content will load faster. And no, I can't cut out the image in the back, because the band liked that a lot and wanted me to keep it in there.

For the links on the navbar - I didn't know what I should do.. I had 6 links and ALL this space to fill it up with. When I enlarged the text, I had to cut off the rest of Merchandice because it just didn't fit. I am planning to make the navbar box smaller and put another box there where one can sign up for a mailing list.

When I am done with these changes, I will post the new link.

//Forgot to say that when I do get some not-so-poorly-recorded sound clips from live shows or whatnot, I am going to use flash to put a simple sound player in the corner of the page.

Thanks for the constructive criticism! :D
  • eyell
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it's perfect considering it's for your brothers band.

The grey font could be a little darker.

Nice Work!
  • shadow
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

1st hat's off to ya for making your site functional over design first.
Most all web designers go for design then functionality and get everything messed up. I should know i do it all the time.
And you are right it is easy to judge someone elses work but since you posted.... Twisted Evil

You have a useful site with some great information on it. A+ for effort listing and linking it all.

Here comes the but part.

Let's think user friendly here, You really have to understand what your website is about to find what your looking for. especaillly with all the neat toys on the site
You can literally click your self out of interest or just all together away from your web site

I would strongly suggest making your link pop-up as a separate page rather than forwarding to the link so you don't loose the page visitor.

In your middle cell with all the IP links , try to uniform it a bit (left margin)for text with bold font to better stand out and keep your hyperlinks links lined up as they are.

But overall I can say thanks for the great site I added you to my favs and will use the heck out of it

Good

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers