• Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, please don't make me trawl through your posts to see if you've posted enough reviews :(
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have many many reviews ... I promise ... These days not so often though ...
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: i was just joking around.

I believe ya.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

me like very much.... some of your pages jump around a little bit - you know, some are set a few pixels to the right, some a few pixels to the left.... actually only the 'about' page is out of line.

the look is really good, and I love the coffee stains and the scotch tape holding up the portfolio images :D how about making the images clickable too, though? I just naturally imagine they'll lead to the sites as well as the 'see site' button...

one more thing - for me the images - 'photos' - don't really separate well enough from the page. any chance of giving them a slight drop shadow?

otherwise brill! I think it's a lot more exciting visually than the previous one.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I absolutely love the coffee-stained paper. It speaks so much about our profession, lol

I agree with cel about making the images clickable in your portfolio. It's just intuitive to click on them to view the sites.

@celandine: The pages are actually all lined up correctly, it's just the scrollbars that do that.

The only thing I don't like here is the text. Since it doesn't actually line up with the "paper lines", it's a bit difficult to read. Well, not difficult, but it seems cluttered. I'd consider putting the text in it's own box with a translucent background (~70% opaque) so that the background still shows through, but the box provides enough solid contrast to the text.
  • Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Sydney, Ozland.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
The only thing I don't like here is the text. Since it doesn't actually line up with the "paper lines", it's a bit difficult to read. Well, not difficult, but it seems cluttered. I'd consider putting the text in it's own box with a translucent background (~70% opaque) so that the background still shows through, but the box provides enough solid contrast to the text.

That is what I have been trying to say R_T!

I like the overall design, but the text for me, is making it look weird.

I think it would be awesome to make the banner text seem burnt into the paper or something too. Just like the oblivion case. ;)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
:lol: i was just joking around.

haha nice, I actually thought about finding some first and I was like, "nah, that's just going to be too much trouble."

celandine wrote:
me like very much.... some of your pages jump around a little bit - you know, some are set a few pixels to the right, some a few pixels to the left.... actually only the 'about' page is out of line.

Yeah like spork said, it's just the scroll bar on the longer pages.

celandine wrote:
how about making the images clickable too, though? I just naturally imagine they'll lead to the sites as well as the 'see site' button...

Done.

celandine wrote:
one more thing - for me the images - 'photos' - don't really separate well enough from the page. any chance of giving them a slight drop shadow?

I added a border-right and border-bottom, do you think that's enough, or should I maybe add an actual drop-shadow ...?

spork wrote:
The only thing I don't like here is the text. Since it doesn't actually line up with the "paper lines", it's a bit difficult to read. Well, not difficult, but it seems cluttered.

I hear ya, I realized the same thing yesterday evening late, I don't think I'm going to use the box idea, but I have a few ideas I want to try and I think it's going to sort that little "problem" out ...

Divinyl wrote:
That is what I have been trying to say R_T!

Noted. Thanks.

Divinyl wrote:
I think it would be awesome to make the banner text seem burnt into the paper or something too. Just like the oblivion case. ;)

Wow, not making it easy 'ey? lol, I'll see if I can make something like that happen ...

And then thanks for the positive input so far aswell form everyone, I appreciate it ...
  • TonyMeszaros
  • TonyMeszaros

Post 3+ Months Ago

I REALLY like the whole paper coffee spill look, looks great!
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

TonyMeszaros wrote:
I REALLY like the whole paper coffee spill look, looks great!

Thanks Tony, is there anything on the site you would change if it were yours though?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I changed the font size to try and make it a bit more "neat" ... I think it's already better ... I know what you are saying spork, but I'd really like to keep the paper just as it is with the text on top of it without anything in between ...

Well firstly, does it still seem "cluttered" ?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only thing I have is in your portfolio page, the VW cover design link is a dead link. :iconshaking:

But other than that it looks like a winner.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
The only thing I have is in your portfolio page, the VW cover design link is a dead link. :iconshaking:

But other than that it looks like a winner.

Excellent, thanks, I'll fix that as soon as I get to work ...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok the images do look a lot better with the right/ bottom border, but I'd separate them out a little more I think... the paper is pretty 'strong' visually and they need to really stand away... I might give them the same border all around, and then add a subtle drop shadow.

also the 'featured site' image should get the same treatment - both standing away from the page and being linked...

your font is currently a 12 times new roman or something, I'm presuming this is a between-phases place holder... cuz it's really hard to read. but damn that site looks sweet :D
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the featured site image should be a hyperlink as well, and perhaps the title ("CyclesOnline") too?

I'm not sure you need the "Visit site" links, especially if you make the titles of the sites links.

Quote:
LJ Roodt really excels in Graphic Design and coming up with fresh ideas that will make your Website\Banner\Business Card stand out from the crowd.
Caps on the B^

http://www.ohdesignx.co.za/vwcover.png
and http://www.coreretailssystems.co.za/ return 404 - no custom 404 page too :(

Perhaps the header image should link to the homepage?

The text is a bit hard to read, maybe slightly larger/clearer font, or (somehow) getting the text to line up with the background image lines?

Other than the above, excellent site, beautiful simple navigation and design. :)
  • seularts
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

NICE.. but may i suggest to make your menu a bit more noticeble:)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
ok the images do look a lot better with the right/ bottom border, but I'd separate them out a little more I think... the paper is pretty 'strong' visually and they need to really stand away... I might give them the same border all around, and then add a subtle drop shadow.

Okay, will do that later ... a little busy right now ...
celandine wrote:
also the 'featured site' image should get the same treatment - both standing away from the page and being linked...

cool ...
celandine wrote:
your font is currently a 12 times new roman or something, I'm presuming this is a between-phases place holder... cuz it's really hard to read. but damn that site looks sweet :D

Yeah, I don't know which font to use yet ... I'm a bit stuck ... any suggestions ... ?

alex89 wrote:
I think the featured site image should be a hyperlink as well, and perhaps the title ("CyclesOnline") too?

I think I'm going to make the image a link, but I'll still decide about the header ...
alex89 wrote:
I'm not sure you need the "Visit site" links, especially if you make the titles of the sites links.

I kinda like it there, but I will try taking it away anyway and see what it looks like ...
alex89 wrote:
Quote:
LJ Roodt really excels in Graphic Design and coming up with fresh ideas that will make your Website\Banner\Business Card stand out from the crowd.
Caps on the B^

Thanks.
alex89 wrote:
http://www.ohdesignx.co.za/vwcover.png
and http://www.coreretailssystems.co.za/ return 404 - no custom 404 page too :(

will find out what's wrong there ...
alex89 wrote:
Perhaps the header image should link to the homepage?

Brilliant idea ...
alex89 wrote:
The text is a bit hard to read, maybe slightly larger/clearer font, or (somehow) getting the text to line up with the background image lines? Other than the above, excellent site, beautiful simple navigation and design. :)

Will look into the text as I have said to Celandine aswell ... and thanks.

seularts wrote:
NICE.. but may i suggest to make your menu a bit more noticeble:)
[/quote]
Have you got any suggestions on how I will achieve that ... ?
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

fonts... I always tend to default to arial or verdana, they look the cleanest... although maybe too clean for you with your 'natural paper' feel.... still, try it. simplest is usually best....
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have, does not look good at all ... it looks like I just chose it because it's default ... nothing special at all ... damn I hate having so many choices some days ...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah choosing fonts is one of my toughest tasks with any site... everything looks great till I put in the letters.....

tried century gothic?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That does look pretty sweet, but I'm unsure of whether it'll work on all browsers/OS's ... because according to this site, it's not supported everywhere ... arghhh ...

//gotta sleep first ... tomorrow seems like a better day to continue my search ...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't believe that I'm actually suggesting this to YOU, but shouldn't you be disabling the link on the menu item of the current page?

Also, umm... yeah. Give this a look.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

lolz, yeah I was till busy with that ... and I did see ... I am just on weekend until tomorrow morning at 8 ... then I'll make the changes ... I take off from friday at 5pm until monday at 8am from any work whatsoever ...

but thanks spork ...
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:

I still need to implement this ... haven't had time yet ...
celandine wrote:

Don't you think that'd defeat the point of the coffee stain on top of it ... ?

spork wrote:
I can't believe that I'm actually suggesting this to YOU, but shouldn't you be disabling the link on the menu item of the current page?

Done.
spork wrote:
Also, umm... yeah. Give this a look.

Fixed.

The featured site image still needs to be a link ... That's not done yet ...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know, I think it might work... the way I'm imagining it is that someone left a photo on a piece of paper, then put the coffee cup over it... so the photo still needs to have that tiny bit of thickness/ shadow, to show it is a separate polaroid... just a little shadow in there somewhere.

also I just spotted that your coffee stain png is not transparent in IE6... but I presume you don't care :D
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

you're absolutely right, I don't ... I am however still going to implement a little script that tells an IE6 user to upgrade (because it really is time) ... And what you say makes sense ... I'll implement the shadows later ... I'm a bit busy right now ...
  • Mentos
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really liked the filling of the old and grungy paper, but you might want to consider a couple of things:

~ First try to make the wax stamp (the one that says "oh") to be more realistic. I mean that the color of the text and that emboss should be more carefully done

~ Another tiny detail is that the tape you use in order to "keep" the thumbnails in place somehow doesn't match with the old feeling... Perhaps if you use something like an old pin it might looked better

The next one I'm not sure if it's my screen's problem or if it was made to be that way, but the background on the left of the paper is lightest that the one on the right.

That's all from me. Keep it up

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers