SITE REVIEW: i-olympic.com

• lawy
  • Loc: Nanjing

Post 3+ Months Ago

I lunched the website http://www.i-olympic.com mainly about olympics, I want to know what you think. Any feedback is appreciated!

thanks a lot,

Eric Yu
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's a really nice site, just has one problem that jumps out at me right away - the left and right columns of your main content float to the edges of the screen, so if the screen I'm viewing on is any wider than your header, the main columns stick to the edges and leave a big white gap in the middle of your page.

I thought you might be missing a div that holds them together but I see in your code that the div is there - so it must be something in your css. I tried looking through that too but whoah - that's a whole lot of tightly packed text! I couldn't even find what was controlling it. so if you just make that div (the one that contains both the left-side and the right-side content divs) the same width as the header, and center it, it should solve your problem.

the issue occurs in every browser I've tried, by the way - Firefox, Opera, Explorer.

Otherwise good work!
  • calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36
  • Loc: Glasgow, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hiya,

My resolution is 1280 x 960 and when I viewed it I had a huge white area on the right hand side of the page. It looked like the page was not centred. This was the same in FF and IE7. The focused events and latest news section did not display in IE7.

The following also did not display at all in IE7

Published news
Published images
Published videos
Launching your olympic journey in China
Something fresh
Latest news
Latest images
Latest videos
Switzerland travel centre banner

Regards,

Pete
  • mechanix9
  • Born
  • Born
  • mechanix9

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site..but then again it would be good if you rectify the edges./.!
  • calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mech, we aim to help each other here, your reviews could contain more detail and since you have been developing for 3 years I am sure you could explain in deeper detail exactly what you are saying in your very short posts.
  • lawy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks you guys! U'r help me a lot.I just updated it.1024*768 is my working screen.When i saw celandine's review.I switch to 1280*1024 and waw!A big white came.So ugly :) .Now it's better.
You guys are in America,Europe?When i wake up,you just go to bed,that is fun
  • tipsguru
  • Born
  • Born
  • tipsguru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The whole site is very nice
but i didn't like the logo u have used.it's too simple.
You may put the copyright info in the middle of the site instead the left side.
  • lawy

Post 3+ Months Ago

tipsguru wrote:
The whole site is very nice
but i didn't like the logo u have used.it's too simple.
You may put the copyright info in the middle of the site instead the left side.

yeah,great suggestion.but the logo would take me a lot of time to think about.
half mouth before the exam.I don't think i have so much time :( ,So just leave some words on it.

Thanks a lot tipsguru,calvi36
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the look and feel. You've managed to display quite a lot of information without feeling too crowded, which is great. It looks good in FireFox 2, IE 7, Opera 9, Maxthon 2, and Netscape 9 - at least for me. In Lynx it works, but not very well, as the "Published News/Images/Videos," "Hotels/Travel/Cities/Friendly Tips," and other such boxes could not switch (i.e. you could only view "Published News," there was no way to switch to Published Images or Videos). I don't think that too big a problem though - it works on the major players.

The only things that bothered me were:
1. The "About Olympic" page doesn't seem to have anything there.
2. It doesn't validate - 263 errors.

Other than those two things, there really isn't anything I don't like. It looks very professional, and has a lot of information - two thumbs up!
  • calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good review Hob,

I never bothered with validation until I encountered ozzu. I have since found out how important it is for seo. Well spotted. I tend to immediately have a look at how the website looks rather than validation. I have now managed to get my own site validated after a brill member on here told me it was not validated. I had paid someone, a so called expert to build the site and it's purely for business. I have found that since validating the site and attaching alt tags to images that my raning on all search engines has jumped massively.

Lawy, take the amazing free advice you get here, use it, put it into practice adjust your site then watch what happens. I moved from nowhere on google to first page just by attaching alt tags to the images. It shocked me and one of the mods on here.

It works, well done Hob for spotting it.

BTW I am Scottish and it's Hogmanay!
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I like the site for the most part. Only thing I would personally change is the width of the two columns. They're almost equal. I think the column on the right should be a little more narrow. Just a thought. One more thing, there is something about the dropdown/accordion effect that you have on the right hand side. It's too much. Maybe some how don't include all of the subpages. But it looks really good so far.
  • lawy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hob Bramble wrote:
I like the look and feel. You've managed to display quite a lot of information without feeling too crowded, which is great...

waow.That is really a professinal review.I am so moved.There are so many errors found by http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=。That's really helpful and thanks again for the tips.

calvi,you are a so sweat guy.Indeed,I also think the SEO become the very important part at building a website And I take the feel of the visitors for the fist part.But the visitors come from the search Engine,SO!It tooks me a few days to learn.I do believe it will pay me back. :) BTW I love Scottish pipe.It has such a beautiful sound.And the pipers dresses so colorful.

zaiah,you are the second one said it's to large.If there is one more,i will think about it :).About the too much dropdown/accordion effect,I have not thought it through yet.One hand,I don't want the homepage so long.On the other,visitors would be too busy with switching them.
That's a tricky question.
  • MoeAlza
  • MoeAlza
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the color scheme of it. The use of flash is cool. The domain is attractive but the only problem is everything is cluttered together. Its a bit messy.
  • calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36

Post 3+ Months Ago

"calvi,you are a so sweat guy."

Hi lawy, I hope you meant sweet and not sweaty lol!
  • lawy

Post 3+ Months Ago

calvi36 wrote:
"calvi,you are a so sweat guy."

Hi lawy, I hope you meant sweet and not sweaty lol!

yeah. :lol: Sweet ,it is

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers