SITE REVIEW: my online portfolio

• jordan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jordan
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Decided to do some work at last and create my own online portfolio with graphics, animations and web sites that i have made recenetly. The site isn't yet complete and i haven't entered all my latest projects but i would be grateful if you guys would take a look at give me some feedback.

what still needs to be done:

- date formatting for projects
- style sheets
- more projects adding
- few image tweeks
- advert adding

open for criticism guys....
please criticise taking the above into account

Sorry... http://www.adamjordan.info
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

which link??
you signature has two iam guess the first one [urlwww.adamjordan.info[/url]
  • jordan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jordan

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry added it now... yes it was http://www.adamjordan.info that i was relating my topic to!
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h

Post 3+ Months Ago

very nice site, very profeessional looking, tyhe buttons at the top to take a while to hover over or is that the effect.

i really like the little subheadings in those boxes very very neat.

all in all a very nice website good job keep it up
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lots of images, took my cable connection a little longer than usual to load. It looks to me that it was worth the wait though :wink: . Your index page looks great, easy to navigate through and read. In your about section, I'll just throw some friendly advice that I was given, dont post your full date of birth online, maybe just toss in the month and day. Its more of a security issue, my dad works for a fraud dept. in a bank and gave me the same advice. But thats just a side note. Browsing through the remainder of your site, I honestly cant find any design flaws worth noting, everything looks organized and professional. As with your other site, you'll have to toss in some meta content/description/keyword tags and also throw in some alt tags for your images. Also looking at your code, it would be a good idea to put your scripts and css into an external file and just reference them, makes it easier on the eyes and easier to debug. Awesome job though, very good work.
  • jordan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jordan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers....

the buttons at the top for some reason do that delayed thing? don't know why...

sorry about shafting your connection... the big image will be replaced by a flash animation that alternates... not that that is going help the connection LOL

thanks for the note about DOB... mods have been done, before you turn into me. LOL

Cheers for the tips guys

(i've updated a little more since... should look sweeter apart from a few broken images) !!
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h

Post 3+ Months Ago

good to hear but yeh you did well
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice site, no doubt at all. Reminds me of the macromedia site a bit which is def. a good thing. I would hire you to design websites if I couldn't do it myself for sure. This site is one of the better looking I've seen in fact.
  • jordan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jordan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers, it does remind me of macromedia's range now you come to mention it. Once it has the large flash animation at the top too... it will definately look like one! :D
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

jordan wrote:
Cheers, it does remind me of macromedia's range now you come to mention it. Once it has the large flash animation at the top too... it will definately look like one! :D

sometimes I think sites could do without the flash. Done tastefully and making it subtle, it's all good but a lot of sites go way too far and it's just distracting.
  • jordan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jordan

Post 3+ Months Ago

My idea was to use some flash software called zoomify which allows you to have a massive image scaled out and zoom into areas of it to view closer detail.... and the idea was that the large image would be a large design!
  • mhmmm
  • Born
  • Born
  • mhmmm

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice site ;)
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h

Post 3+ Months Ago

jordan wrote:
My idea was to use some flash software called zoomify which allows you to have a massive image scaled out and zoom into areas of it to view closer detail.... and the idea was that the large image would be a large design!

really that is interesting i might go to that
  • jordan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jordan

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.zoomify.com (i thinks)... so easy to use... can't do anything with the controls on the free basic release
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman
  • Loc: England, Hartlepool, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi, really nice site, smooth layout, everything fits nicely and a really nice feel, i was thinking as i seen more of the site like others have thought, that is has a feel and slight look as what macromedia's site does, very professional looking, keep up the good work, i would definatly buy your web services if you do them and if i couldn't do them myself

well done!
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeh i no i wouldnt mind puting some flash on my site
  • jordan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jordan

Post 3+ Months Ago

cheers guys... i've done a few minor tweeks to improve the look, i've uploaded a demo of what the large graphic/flash thing should look like so you can get an idea of how zoomify work...

http://www.adamjordan.info/demo/index.html

please note that graphic is not yet complete....

And i've also decdied to promote MS iE 6!!! reasons for this are because of the problems FireFox still has with basic features making a designers job a bitch! lol check the link on the left... should annoy a few firefox people... Sorry Y'all......
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h

Post 3+ Months Ago

up looking good, i might be repeating myself but i those subtutlies are soo kool, i found somehting like that in photosho that i can make acceot just a bit dfferent, the effect is that it sucked into the screen looks pretty kool, lol. but again well done
  • Anty
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Anty
  • Loc: Switzerland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't fall in the trap ! IE is the bad one !
Firefox supports fully XHTML, CSS as IE doesn't ! IE makes me cry because of its random behaviors with W3C standards.

Yeah I know Zoomify but I don't understand why you're using it jordan. :?:
It's designed for images, not for .swfs.
If I try to understand...you want to make a big image which users will be able to zoom in so that you can display sections of your site, don't you ?
So your site will be based on the Zoomify navigation system, you're already loosing originality !

One more thing : adamjordan.info returns a 404. Is your site no more online ?

+
  • jordan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jordan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Server errors..... sorry! out of my control

The zoomify will be used to show a massive graphic... only on the main page! It is a design site so surely i should show a combination of all my designs????

i like IE, i understand your feelings. I would just rather they all put their heads together and produced one browser that does it all... because they are only doing themselves out of friends when someone installed their softwate and their site no longer works..

The firefox browser looks child like too i think!
  • Anty
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Anty
  • Loc: Switzerland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I see...actually you want to make a kind of gallery for your artworks, don't you ? Anyway you can't do either way.

Well, as for everything on the web, there won't be a unique solution-based browser, maybe that's better and it encurages new challenges...

To be honnest, I was rather suspicious about Firefox by the time I was on IE and I can say that currently, Firefox works well and is better than IE (just for example, the tabs are so useful). :)
Moreover, IE encounters many security issues. For example if you want to use Flash + HTTPS, IE bothers you ! :evil:

As you can see, I'm completely converted to Firefox. :D

Well, good luck in your dev. I hope your server will soon be fixed.
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h

Post 3+ Months Ago

jordan wrote:
i like IE, i understand your feelings. I would just rather they all put their heads together and produced one browser that does it all... because they are only doing themselves out of friends when someone installed their softwate and their site no longer works..

The firefox browser looks child like too i think!

totaly agree with you there jordan it hink they should make one awsome browser.

-sycofi5h
  • jordan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jordan

Post 3+ Months Ago

It just bugs me so much that you design a site and have to test it in every browser and version and then you get some little fool that uses IE 1.0 and starts moaning....

BTW

http://www.adamjordan.info is working again now. Had a few server errors earlier... Done a few more updates too .... thanks.
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep jordan i have that with every website i make BUGS they bloody suck there is always a little problem and sometimes it takes you for ever and ever to work it out.
-sycofi5h
  • jordan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jordan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Imagine if when you press the preview button the site you view would be the same site that everyone sees?,,,, but it never is the case!
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h

Post 3+ Months Ago

jordan wrote:
Imagine if when you press the preview button the site you view would be the same site that everyone sees?,,,, but it never is the case!

yep exactly
well wil those people learn something and create a browser like that??
  • jumungo4
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it easy to read etc.Well done :D
  • jordan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jordan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have made some improvements to my site...

http://www.adamjordan.info

and i have included what i intended to do from the start using a large image and a program called zoomify. Please can you check out the new idea and tell me what you think of it being place on the home page of my design site. Thanks

http://www.adamjordan.info/aj_index.php ...is where the idea can be located
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h

Post 3+ Months Ago

looking good mate.

on http://www.adamjordan.info/aj_index.php the image is bigger and well you cut off the little bit of your logo so that is the only think i found.
i liked the Lastest news list you click the date and it comes to that bit of news well done

-sycofi5h
  • jordan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jordan

Post 3+ Months Ago

cheers. i need to tweek a few little things to save the logo on the image. I mainly wanted to get the image working to see if it looks okay. Thanks again :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 46 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers