SITE REVIEW: Online Storage

• Olga T.
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Olga T.
  • Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Could you evaluate and critic our web site: http://www.edocsonline.com?

Any comments about design and content are greatly appreciated.

Olga.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ctrenks
  • Student
  • Student
  • ctrenks

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very clean design, I like how the clickable links in the header have 0 visual defects while mousing over them, the layout and colors are very crisp and the site looks very pro!
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very Clever design with the header.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have a lot of modifications to make before your site hits the w3c standards (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.edocsonline.com%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=%28detect+automatically%29&ss=1).

A lot of that is just puting alt tags on your images. Your code is really neat, so you shouldnt have much trouble fixing things up. On the index page, you need some space between those 3 paragraphs you have at the top left. I know you're trying to keep it so that it doesnt mess up the rest of the page, but it looks too bunched up. I'm also not a fan of the double link thing you have going with those 3 boxes below (individuals, small business, prof. service). You've linked both the paragraph itself and the learn more link. Why have 2 links leading to the same place spaced right next to each other? Drop the paragraph link and just keep the Learn More link.

In the pricing plans section, you have an overlapping image (Special Prices) that cuts off some of your site content, unprofessional.

In your FAQ, make anchor links next to each answered question to go back to the top of the page. Makes it easier on the user instead of making them scroll all the way back to the top of the page for the other questions.

The rest of the site seems to be well done. I'd have to say its a great site, good job!
  • Olga T.
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Olga T.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for your comments.

But, is service really clear? Could you catch the overall idea or should you dig to find it out?

Daremedy, you wrote:

On the index page, you need some space between those 3 paragraphs you have at the top left.

Could you explain what did you mean?

Olga.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

The service is pretty straight forward, you explain it on the index.

What I meant with the 3 paragraphs was the whole section under "eDocsOnline.com... Your Online Storage and Document Management Solution". The paragraphs under that needs some space in between them.

So turn:
Code: [ Select ]
There are many different ways to store your documents, to re-locate them and to distribute them to others. But, most of these solutions are either expensive and complicated or too limited.
eDocsOnline.com gives the power of easy, affordable and secure Internet access to store, share, manage and backup your documents, files and folders online.
You do not need any special equipment or software, just a web browser, the Internet connection plus your secure eDocsOnline.com account. More >>
  1. There are many different ways to store your documents, to re-locate them and to distribute them to others. But, most of these solutions are either expensive and complicated or too limited.
  2. eDocsOnline.com gives the power of easy, affordable and secure Internet access to store, share, manage and backup your documents, files and folders online.
  3. You do not need any special equipment or software, just a web browser, the Internet connection plus your secure eDocsOnline.com account. More >>

into:
Code: [ Select ]
There are many different ways to store your documents, to re-locate them and to distribute them to others. But, most of these solutions are either expensive and complicated or too limited.

eDocsOnline.com gives the power of easy, affordable and secure Internet access to store, share, manage and backup your documents, files and folders online.

You do not need any special equipment or software, just a web browser, the Internet connection plus your secure eDocsOnline.com account. More >>
  1. There are many different ways to store your documents, to re-locate them and to distribute them to others. But, most of these solutions are either expensive and complicated or too limited.
  2. eDocsOnline.com gives the power of easy, affordable and secure Internet access to store, share, manage and backup your documents, files and folders online.
  3. You do not need any special equipment or software, just a web browser, the Internet connection plus your secure eDocsOnline.com account. More >>

You can even shorten your description, for example, "There are many different ways to store your documents, to re-locate them and to distribute them to others. But, most of these solutions are either expensive and complicated or too limited." can be turned into "Dont waste your money on expensive online storage for your personal documents, let us do it for you at a fraction of that cost."

Just get straight to the point.
  • Olga T.
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Olga T.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I have got just 3 reviews.

Does it mean that the site is so bad that everything should be criticized?

Or does it mean that everything is fine? Frankly speaking, this sounds strange as it is my first web site.

Please let me know your opinion.

Olga.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all, good job on your first website Olga :iconthumbleft: I wish I could have made sites like that when I first started!
Now on to the nitty gritty stuff ;)

I noticed your site is not scalable. You should change it so it is, that way no matter what resolution people are viewing your site at, it will fit accordingly. Noone likes to have horizontal scrollbars.

Your header links are hard to read "Access, Share, Storage" etc. It's not always a good idea to put text on top of a busy background image. Also, those links look like they are part of the background image, they don't look like navigational links. I'd suggest moving them and placing them in a more static location, had I not been resizing my browser window, I would have never happened to mouse over those links.

Your site doesn't have a focal point. I don't know what to read first. Pick a central point at eye level and have your main points listed there. It's a pretty cluttered main page right now. Not that too much information is a bad thing, but you have to know how to set it up so the user doesn't feel lost or confused.

Your header graphic is shifting a bit on this page
http://www.edocsonline.com/jsp/share-documents.jsp, it doesn't seem to do it on any other page.

There are sections of your site that you have a title and its underlying text hyperlinked. Don't think it's necessary. Just hyperlink the title.

I notice you've got a "printable version" of your site. That's great but you should mention in brackets that it's a PDF version because I was expecting the page to change into a printer friendly version (basically stripping of all graphics on page), in case some people don't have acrobat reader installed. Also, whenever you're linking to a PDF you should put a disclaimer mentioning to go to this link to download acrobat reader for free if they don't already have it installed.

You've got way too many different font faces. Try to choose only one and just use different sizes with it. Keep your site consistent and professional.

On your subscription page, your header navbar disappears.. actually all your navbars disappear. Keep them on EVERY SINGLE PAGE. Remember.. consistency is key!

This is just me being picky, so you don't have to do this but I always think that when you have a bulleted list, keep all info under each bullet indented. Right now on your faq page, you've put in graphics so the information underneath each headline wraps around and isn't indented. If you want to still use that graphic for your bulleted list then set it up properly with CSS so that it wraps and indents correctly. Just looks cleaner that's all. :)

Don't make your privacy policy & your terms of service pages open in a new browser window. They are also missing navbars!

Your sitemap needs to be cleaned up. I don't know why the second coloumn is so far apart from the first?

Elaborate on keywords. The more the better!.

Missing alt tags on images.

Your first table width is set to "779px", if you want your site to be scalable use percentages or set it to the unofficial web standard of "600 px" which caters to those on 800 * 600 resolutions.

Keep up the good work

:)
  • Jedi
  • Jedi
  • Loc: Glasgow

Post 3+ Months Ago

i Like it nice an Clean
  • goplanit

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice.
Neat, easy on the eye. You know what the site is about at first glance.
  • henryq
  • Born
  • Born
  • henryq

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice looking. But it seems to be designed for lower resolution screens (800*600 or lower). I set my monitor at 1024, and it only occupies 2/3 of the screen.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

henryq wrote:
Nice looking. But it seems to be designed for lower resolution screens (800*600 or lower). I set my monitor at 1024, and it only occupies 2/3 of the screen.

You're supposed to design sites that scale to all resolutions, starting with 800x600. Besides that, I'm at 1024x768 and the site loads up perfectly to my window. Are you looking at the same site? :?
  • deaddevil
  • deaddevil

Post 3+ Months Ago

The design is quite original and suits the eye.Clean work.The header thing is good rated as 4/5.The images of the globe etc on the index page didn't go that well with the index page.You may think... of changing it( just a suggestion!).
  • Sharandyr
  • Sharandyr
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the site, my only major comment about it is that the links in the header should not really be there, I found them by accident and would never have guessed they were actual links.

nice!
  • fuzu42

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site looks great! Very clean, professional design.
However, I had difficulty reading the "Share, Protect, Manage, Access, Store, Notify" links on the right hand corner of your header image. Using a darker colour for them would help.
A personal comment: you have too much white space. Centering your body content would probably fix this problem on larger screens. There's nothing wrong with having static widths, only they have potential to make your site look slightly lopsided.
Alexander Wenzowski
  • hannah
  • Born
  • Born
  • hannah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your design looks really cool and professional.

My suggestion would be on fixing your navigation. The links like access, share, store etc… can be grouped under a context for example say “features” or create a drop down menu with them under features next to pricing plans.

I use this similar kind of online storage service. Check their website you may get some more ideas.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers