SITE REVIEW: OnlineLance.com finished!

• SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm finally done with everything but cleaning up the code on OnlineLance.com. any other ideas? any things that really need to be changed? thanks,
Raj

edit that's a good idea ;)

http://www.onlinelance.com/
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm gonna check it out now, but you should make a clickable link to it in your post please :wink:
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I'm back

It looks good to me, technical looking and business like! I wonder though if it's ok to use the AIM/other logo's on a commercial site? Do you have permission? I'm not really excited about the font that you used throughout your menu, but at the same time I don't have any suggestions for replacement fonts.. I think the dropdown menu's could be spruced up a bit by including a border around the outside instead of just between the menu items.

On This Page there is a typo that I noticed, it says:
Quote:
That's it! Your project is then closed, your are put...

It is not very clear to me when browsing the site which parts are for the freelancers, and which parts are for the people seeking the freelancers. Is it not set up for the employers to have accounts, and also for the freelancers to have accounts?

For instance:

Your menu items "webmasters menu" & "post project". When I open the dropdown webmasters menu and click "post project" it takes me to the same page as if I were to just click "post project" in the main menu. This post project page is like the kind of page that an employer would fill out if they were placing a help wanted ad - which is perfectly fine, but -

It seems confusing to me though because I would think that there should be the "post project page" for employers, but instead of "post project" under the webmasters menu you could say "list skills" maybe.

The "list skills page" would be similar to the "post project page" in the sense that it would be a list of items with radio buttons, except that they would be selectable "skills" to indicate a freelancers abilities and price range. And somewhere on these pages I think there should be some indication as to if you're browsing as the employer, or as the freelancer.

If you already have something like that set up and I missed it then please forgive me, after all I did not actually sign up and it's possible that these pages that I desire do exist when logged in.

Otherwise as of now I am confused by the menu structure as I have described to the best of my ability.

I hope some of this is helpful :D
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok yes the colors and text of the dhtml menu aren't right. that's then main problem. as far as having the post project link in two spots.. it wasn't planned that way and i will be deleting the one on the menu. thanks for taking the time to look though the site :)
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good job on finishing the job SSH-Raj :)

I just have a couple of suggestions to improve the overall look content wise:

Think about making your font much smaller.

Under the "Project Types" when you click to go to the respective sections, you should re-think about the layout of your content. Use the space provided more efficiently, you've got too much white space right now with the list of expertises all in one column.

Under the log-in & pword area, line up your textboxes better.

I'd change the colour of your footer navbar. THe one where you have a blue background on blue font colour. Change the text colour to maybe white or black.

You seem to have 2 different buttons for "view all" keep the site consistent

Your FAQs don't have the layout of your site, implement it into the site layout or at least include a back to site button
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it is dumb that all usernames have to be in lowercase letters only. No numbers, no capital letters, no spaces, no underscores or even hyphens. What is this all about?
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

blame the freelancers 2.9 writers!!! :D

thanks truce and 613flavah i'll fix those bugs. :)
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry Raj, I blame you. If you want to be lazy and not code your own scripts then you have no right to complain! I'm not hating on you or anything, just saying that if you want it done right to do it yourself. That is why all of the code on my site and all of the sites I design is 100% mine. I don't use anybody else's code! You end up learning a lot and it gets really fun to know that you created a script like a shoutbox that is better than one that thousands of people are copying. Plus you have one that is original!
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Um, someone is pissed that you are spamming other sites with onlinelance.com: http://www.onlinelance.com/cgi-bin/free ... =suckadick

Maybe add a feature so all projects must pass by the admins before being added?
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

OUCH! good catch Truce! Definitely all projects should pass through the admin to be screened first!!
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

not me spamming. it's the owner. the bad thing is now when i use that site in my portfolio people will think i spam. :( oh well
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
Sorry Raj, I blame you. If you want to be lazy and not code your own scripts then you have no right to complain! I'm not hating on you or anything, just saying that if you want it done right to do it yourself. That is why all of the code on my site and all of the sites I design is 100% mine. I don't use anybody else's code! You end up learning a lot and it gets really fun to know that you created a script like a shoutbox that is better than one that thousands of people are copying. Plus you have one that is original!

if that was an option then i would. it's one thing to be lazy and another thing to be practical. making a shout box is easy. making a full blown script with forums, reverse auctions, 5 payment gateways, escrow, reviews, user management, etc..

it would take me a month or two to write a freelancers script with all these features. then it would surely have tons of bugs. plus i would make no money off of it until it was working completely. in order to make the the money I'm making right i would have to sell 100 copies at 50 a piece.
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey btw fixed the script to allow uppercase usernames. :)
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't know the script had that nice a back-end! Good system then! Thanks for fixing the capital username thing!

Hope you get that admin screening thing up soon so the client doesn't get a bad rep!
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah it has that already just need to turn it on.
  • Spogg
  • Spogg
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should compress the icons and menu graphics using gif instead of jpeg. Looks much crisper. Also being more consistent with the typography used would help making the site look more professional. E. g. use a sans-serif typeface for the button (preferably the same as in the menu).
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

k it should have been done that way but some how during the splicing i saved all but the selected slice as jpg :) i was going to change it but didn't.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers