SITE REVIEW: Onyx-Design

• Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys,

I just finished my online portfolio at http://www.onyx-design.net.

For now it's only available in Dutch so nobody (except righteous_tresspasser :P ) can read the content. I'm still working on translating it, when I'm finished I'll say so in this topic so you guys can also review the content.

But... for now, please your comments on the design.

I've checked all the pages and except one they're all valid XHTML strict ;), also valid CSS.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know what the first thing is I'm going to say ...

Please make the link of the page that a user is on, unclickable, for example if a user is on the "home" page, make the "home" link unclickable etc etc ...

It bothers me a bit that the menu just stops like that, why don't you make the menu's right hand side the same as the left hand side ... (Do you understand what I mean ...?)

Maybe on the "contact" page, you can say that all fields are necessary, or put a little asterisk(*) next to them all ...

On the "complete websites" page, you can add a little "padding-bottom" because the content touches the bottom line ...

There where a user has to choose a sub-category for the website-designs, you could maybe add rollovers for those two links ... and the same for the Graphic-designs ...

On the "About this site" page the menu doesn't highlight the correct item ... "Websites" is highlighted and the incorrect path is shown ...

Further than that ... Excellent ...

//I really still can't believe that you're 14 ...
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:

Please make the link of the page that a user is on, unclickable, for example if a user is on the "home" page, make the "home" link unclickable etc etc ...

That's a good one. I did it with the breadcrumps but forgot to do it in the menu. Will take some time though, because it's scripted with PHP and that uses the $_GET to make sure which of the menu-items has to be active. That one has to be active and unclickable now...

It bothers me a bit that the menu just stops like that, why don't you make the menu's right hand side the same as the left hand side ... (Do you understand what I mean ...?)

Yeah, I understand. I'll change it to see what it looks like and maybe change it back later if it doesn't looks good...

Maybe on the "contact" page, you can say that all fields are necessary, or put a little asterisk(*) next to them all ...

Good one! Job's done!

On the "complete websites" page, you can add a little "padding-bottom" because the content touches the bottom line ...

That one is weird...
You see IE7 shows some padding, but Fx don't... See the screens:

IE7:

Fx:

// I've done it manually now: just added some <br /> tags ;)

There where a user has to choose a sub-category for the website-designs, you could maybe add rollovers for those two links ... and the same for the Graphic-designs ...

And the same for the whole site. I've edited the stylesheet. Links get underlined when hovering over.

On the "About this site" page the menu doesn't highlight the correct item ... "Websites" is highlighted and the incorrect path is shown ...

It did that because you can also access that pages via portfolio > websites > complete websites but I guess it's not that user-friendly this way... I'll change it.

Further than that ... Excellent ...

//I really still can't believe that you're 14 ...

Thanks :D Why can't you believe? Too young to make websites or speak English the way I do :P?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The english doesn't bother me, and the making of websites doesn't bother me either, it just amazes me ... at 14 I just played PC games the whole day ... I was like a game playing guru again ... there wasn't a game that I couldn't finish ... hehe ... i guess that's why I still want to be a game tester ...

Too young ... Never, for nothing ... Keep it up ...
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks :), I play games too, I've got the Gamecube and 2 gameboys and I play Oblivion, GTA san andreas and Company of Heroes often. Sometimes I play games the whole day then I'm working on a website or designing the whole day. Depends on my mood ;).
  • iorgus
  • iorgus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fabinator wrote:
Hey guys,

I just finished my online portfolio at http://www.onyx-design.net.

For now it's only available in Dutch so nobody (except righteous_tresspasser :P ) can read the content. I'm still working on translating it, when I'm finished I'll say so in this topic so you guys can also review the content.

But... for now, please your comments on the design.

I've checked all the pages and except one they're all valid XHTML strict ;), also valid CSS.

Nice site, but for me the pallet of colors is neatractive
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

"neactractive", never heard that word before. Does it mean not attractive?
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some updates:

I've made the site SEO friendly by using mod rewrite to turn this: index.php?lang=nl&page=home into /pagina/nl/home ;)

And I've also added key-words, meta tags and more used the h1, h2, etc. tags.
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

First Glance: Simple and Neat!

However, I think the navigation bar should have a border on both sides. Probably, RT has noticed that too. One thing that impresses me is the clean source code and appropriate use of DIV's. As there isnt much content, WHICH i understand, so I will have to say very well done.
I didnt know you were 14! I remember my site when i was fourteen *shudders* I was horrible with css! But wow, you have pulled it very nicely! Good Job.
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your reply Sana! There will soon be more content and the english version of the site will ben available next week, I hope.

I've added borders on the right side of the menu, but that doesn't look good. So I tried something else:
http://www.onyx-design.net
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice site! But I would add more space to:

CSS
Code: [ Select ]
margin-top:20px;

to #footer on the stylesheet.

Good Job

:D [/code]
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply murcielagossi ;)
I suppose you're right, but like I posted before IE does display this space and Fx doesn't...
  • zhaoke
  • Loc: Islab.org

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do really like your new header image.. cool work.
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like what you have done with the site Fabinator. It looks much better now
  • TripleHelix
  • Born
  • Born
  • TripleHelix
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Design looks great. At the bottom of the page, though, there's a change in page width, which should be an easy fix. I'm interested to see how it turns out when it's all finished!

Good work.
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

TripleHelix wrote:
Design looks great. At the bottom of the page, though, there's a change in page width, which should be an easy fix. I'm interested to see how it turns out when it's all finished!

Good work.

I suppose you're using IE6, I've still didn't figure out how to fix that problem (and others)..
I've tested the site in a couple of browsers and it looks good in IE7, Fx (all versions), Safari 3 and Opera 9.

Thanks sana and zhaoke :D
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going on holiday now for a couple of weeks (4) so I'll will go further with this topic later on...
  • vjjohnson
  • Student
  • Student
  • vjjohnson

Post 3+ Months Ago

the design is quite artistic. The only thing that bothers me is the colour of the text and the link structure. Change the colour of the hyper link also blue is too common.
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

@vjjohnson04

I've read a book about website usability and a very common mistake is that a webdesigner thinks that because he understands the navigation everyone will understand it. But it has to be clear and one advice was to assure that hyperlinks look as common as possible so everyone will recognise them. Blue also fits my design so that's why i made that choice ;)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The menu looks kind of out of place for me. Can't really explain it, my eyes tell me that but forget it. I like the clean and neat layout of the site. At your age, you should be proud, and I'm not being age-discriminator. At your age, my site was a horror to look at. It was on a free host before. Its off now.
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.onyx-design.net/pagina/en/home : English Translation is Done

Hey, I finished translating the site into English. I'm still working on some site description but almost everything is done and you wont get 404 errors. Any comments on the content?
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Stilll a very nice site, but in your artwork section...you cannot click on the image, you have to click on the link...maybe you should make a simple image viewer that can be brought up and closed...instead of just routing them to the image file in the browser...it looks bad that way.

Heres a link to what Im talking about:

http://vikjavev.no/highslide/ /* I took a little while to load the for some reason */

The image viewer example is toward the bottom.

Good luck.
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a good one. I should do that...
  • jammer2552
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very very very very very well put together. I think it's time you started to dabble in javascript though. Maybe make the menu more dynamic. You could even start messing around in flash. I think the header image would look cool with a nice animation somewhere. Cool and clean.
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

@jammer2552, Thanks for your comments :D, I don't like javascript, I think PHP is a better option. But Flash is a good idea. I will do that!
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I made a Flash header. See this test page:
http://www.onyx-design.net/test/flash.php

What do you guys think? Should I apply it to the rest of the site?
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the site, it looks nice :D
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Only thing that I have to say is that you may want to swap the "onyx" and the "design" because now it looks like design-onyx ... and make the animation a little longer ...
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also suggest you make it longer, and when the text is going down, you can see a faint outline of "onyx" and also in the animation, the design bumps up at the last second...i would change that.

Also the text of "design" looks awkward, i would change it to verdana or some other font.

But I like the flash banner more than the image.
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You guys are right. I just got Flash yesterday and I never used it before, so the result is not that good. I have to swap the 'design' and 'onyx'. But I don't think the font (Acens) is that bad, I'll think about it though.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 69 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers