SITE REVIEW: Onyx Design Weblog

• Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys,

I made myself a new website: http://www.onyx-design.net/weblog2/
It's a blog for webmasters, but also my portfolio.

I would like you're thoughts about:
- the design
- the content
- my english (maybe it's not good enough to write articles... or maybe my style sucks...)

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Guy who knows things
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Guy who knows things
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oooh..........actually I think it's a really great site and could grow into a pretty comprehensive resource.

I really love the simplicity (that's always the first thing I look for......I really hate clutter). I guess some might argue it's TOO simple though. Maybe change the body bg to an image of some kind. Maybe even just a gradient. It's just looking a bit flat right now IMO.

Um, that padding between your sidebar and content section, I'd reduce that and make it the same size as the top padding.

Also, your post headers, that looks like Times New Roman, which I don't think fits in with the overall design. I'd probably go with Arial or Verdana.

Also, I'd install feedburner to handle the RSS feed.

Hope this helps! ;)
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree, some of the font types like the Times New Roman just don't seem to fit with the overall design like your header text.

Other than that, it's simplistic, looks clean and is done pretty well.
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

@GWKH: I have feedburner installed ;)
http://feeds.feedburner.com/OnyxDesign

@both You're right about the headers of the articles... I will change that..
And I will make a nice background and adjust the padding ;)
  • cammangels
  • cammangels

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fabian,

I really like the design. It's very clean and organized. I also like the information, it will get people coming back.

Along with the above comments, I would like to add a couple of things:

The white in the articles like your Aboutpage should be stretched down a bit. I would add a few breaks at the end or make a minimum height for the cell.

I wouldn't worry about the height of the side bar though, the focus should stay on the main content.

On the side bar, I would move Other down one step so that it is always at the bottom. This helps in categorization.

I hope my comments help,

Cam
  • hhappyearl
  • Born
  • Born
  • hhappyearl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello.
I think it is a very useful site I bookmarked it because it is something I can use in the future good job and keep adding to the site

Jon
  • nomax5
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it too.. especially the picture at the top..

its a pleasant place to go.. so I bookmarked it.
  • elmolesto
  • elmolesto
  • Loc: LIMERICK IRELAND

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Your wesite is very useful. I like the design and navigation is easy. I wouldn't change anything.
  • cheatartor
  • cheatartor

Post 3+ Months Ago

The title image is too big.

http://www.onyx-design.net/weblog2/wp-c ... csspos.png

And article image is too smail.

The societal bookmark too few.
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your replies, in special cammangels, your comments are really helpful!

I made some changes last days:
- I added shortcuts for social bookmarking sites
- I added a background... is it disturbing? or is better?
- I also moved the "Other"-cat downwards

And I will make a minimum height for the content div.
  • farrhad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • farrhad

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey......i really liked the design
useful info i went through “Click to activate and use this control”
i bookmarked
Suggestion: add a link exchange page and constantly add new posts
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the suggestions farrhad. Glad you like it ;)
I can't add new posts constantly because I'm the only writer and I have a very busy life. So I need to find some more time to write articles.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I must say I find the background a little disturbing :)
the header image with that sun breaking through the clouds is really beautiful though. all the rest of the design really works for me. but I'd turn the background back to white (or like a gentle white/gray geometric pattern or something) just to let that pretty header image stand out.......... this artist's-impression-blue kind of swallows it up.....

otherwise it's real cool!
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

@celandine... I think you're right.. A lot of people told me that I needed to make a background but I think I liked gradient better... I'll change it ;)

Changed. How do you like it now?
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

rockin'! I like :D
  • theBruney
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

Design is great. It's very easy to navigate around the site. Content is great too; my kind of thing to read on. Hehe. :)
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

@celandine & theBruney
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

And what do you think about the content? I mu english good enough to write those articles? And what about the typography, can you read the text well, or are the letters too small or too big?
  • rasterboy
  • Born
  • Born
  • rasterboy

Post 3+ Months Ago

very clean, great content as well. not much to add that prior posts haven't covered, but i just thought it interesting that you chose a blue scheme when your brand name has onyx. is there a reasoning behind your choice in colors? not that your site has to be black haha, but just wanted to see what your reasoning was behind it. :)
  • osserpguru
  • osserpguru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like your design, it's clean and friendly.
I think the logo image with the skies is way too big and occupies too much space - you provide so much useful content, you should not waste so much space on an image.
I always suggest using alt and title tags in links.
You should also use more internal links, linking from one of your post to other posts on your blog. I would also try to target keywords - think of a couple of words you want your visitors to find you in search engines, words such as 'website design' or 'css tutorial', use these keywords often in your blog and link to your homepage with these words. That means, for search engines, that you consider yourself an authority around these keywords and will help drive traffic through SE.
Also, make your RSS feed icon much bigger!! It's important that it would be visible for those who want to register to your feed.

Good luck,
Open Source ERP Guru http://opensourceerpguru.com
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

rasterboy wrote:
very clean, great content as well. not much to add that prior posts haven't covered, but i just thought it interesting that you chose a blue scheme when your brand name has onyx. is there a reasoning behind your choice in colors? not that your site has to be black haha, but just wanted to see what your reasoning was behind it. :)

I don't really have a reason, except that I like blue colors for a website and I like the name Onyx too. My very first theme was black and red, but I like this better and I'm not going to change my name.

osserpguru wrote:
Also, make your RSS feed icon much bigger!! It's important that it would be visible for those who want to register to your feed.

I redid my RSS icon, it's a lot bigger now :D
I already did some linking from an article to another, but I do it only when it's relevant. Providing good content is more important than ranking in google in my opinion.

Thanks for both comments :D
  • erpuniversity
  • Born
  • Born
  • erpuniversity

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats good design!
Think about reducing title height, it is too big i think.
All the best.
ERPUniversity - http://www.open-source-erp-site.com
  • rosad
  • rosad

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah i like this site
  • rosad
  • rosad

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry double post
  • jfrasier
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice clean layout. Nice code in the source. You laid your navigation in lists which is always a plus. One thing on the source side, I know it is a very popular belief that meta keywords don't help, but trust me they do. I would add the meta tag keywords in your header.

Your categories are laid out very well. Easy to find what you are looking for. I like your anti-spam device in your form :D

I looked through your portfolio, nice variety of designs. Always nice to see that in a persons work. Instead of every one of their sites looking basically the same.

All in all, nice site. Good call on using wordpress and a blog back end. That helps with search engines. I would add the keywords, and look into meta tagging your articles when you make them in wordpress. That is what the keyword field is for in the page form :wink:
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is my late late late late review

Holy smokes!! Took me 1 whole minute to load... if I wasn't loading it so I could make a review on it I would have closed it a long long time ago.

Otherwise the design now looks great and awesome! The style you type in doesn't look bad. Kept me interested :)
  • jfrasier
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Didn't take anytime at all to load up for me. Pretty much instantly.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers