SITE REVIEW: OpenPost.NET

• takai003
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • takai003
  • Loc: Albany, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking for helpful reviews and suggestions for improving my entertainment and discussion community. It's a fairly new site that's been open for about 4 months or so now. Specificly, how can I improve on what I already have? What are some ways I can make it easier to navigate and more user friendly? Site content or board topic ideas? Other feature ideas?

Please help me with ideas for the site's direction too :D
I'm not sure how to get the community really moving and would love to hear a visitor's view of things. Like, what would make you want to join the community?

Thanks in advance

http://www.openpost.net/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• desertland
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • desertland

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a cool name for a site! When I go to the page, I can't tell what it's about. There should be a short description of what your site is right on the main page. The FAQ would also be a good spot, but when I go there, there's nothing like "what's this site about?"

The colour scheme is quite good... but there are a lot of affiliate/links/small banners. ...probably about 25 small banners. That's quite a few... they detract from your page with there being so many of them... ...

As for 'what would make you want to join the community', you should ask yourself that, and then tell us WHY we'd want to join your site as opposed to the thousands of other community sites out there.
  • farmer_Tom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • farmer_Tom
  • Loc: Oaklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice job with the domain; two-word phrases are becoming increasingly common. Like the layout and attach files features; noticeable improvements over a standard phpBB board. Interested to know, did you code yourself or buy a lisence because its well done, indeed. Good idea to put large top links to popular categories, making it much easier to find them. My only suggestion is to limit the number of buttons in the Vote for Us section as it clutters that space. Good job and good luck!
  • Lee_Stewart_x3x
  • Born
  • Born
  • Lee_Stewart_x3x
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

the site is very easy to understand, well done
  • Coderx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Coderx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Brilliant site, probably one of the best up for review, i like it alot, its pretty clear and esy to read and understand, good job!!!
  • misterbling
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • misterbling

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks good.

I'd look into speeding it up however. I noticed quite a slow load.

Little things like this jpg;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/ ... button.jpg

is around 20K. :shock: just for that small pic.

Total page loads for 56K 49.35 seconds and the goal should be subeight unless you're strictly catering to broadband customers.

If you want to speed it up here's a wonderful tool;

http://websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

Like the site.
  • takai003
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • takai003

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Interested to know, did you code yourself or buy a lisence because its well done, indeed.

All coded and designed by myself, starting with a blank copy of phpBB :)

I fixed the Vote For Us so that you open a new window to view all of them. I also tried to minimize all of the image sizes and the page seems to be a bit faster now. That's a very helpful tool misterbling :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

More reviews?
  • bobej
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bobej

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the overall design, especially your color scheme. As far as making the site better, my first thought when I landed on your page was: Why should I post here? I've got any number of other places to post... I'd be sure to let people know what kinds of people use your site, what kind of community it is, what you like to discuss, and so on.

Bob
bob@kindakarma.com
http://www.kindakarma.com
  • takai003
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • takai003

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the feed back. Keep it coming!
  • weblaunch
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • weblaunch

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's an excellent site. Since it has a lot of features already, I don't know of what else to add to your site without making it appear too busy. At this point, all you need is for more people to visit.
  • takai003
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • takai003

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, any more suggestions?
  • Tiendq
  • Tiendq

Post 3+ Months Ago

first, you have a cool domain name :)

as I visited your site, it load quite slow, font quite small for a community, and hardly to recognize different areas because they have same background and border color
  • mystery250
  • mystery250

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great site.

Very easy on the eyes, nice layout. Nice original buttons as well.

Great domain, very memorable.

It did take a second or two to load with dial-up. Perhaps reduce the image sizes?
  • NetBoy
  • NetBoy
  • Loc: Croatia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site. Great icons at the top right corner!

I almost forgot. Very nice domain name!
  • muzakman
  • Born
  • Born
  • muzakman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great domain name! Memorable.

The color scheme is great. The logo is bright and looks good. One thing I was thinking is a possible slogan. But first like you were saying, you want to tighten up the overall concept.

In my opinion, when I think of and hear the name open post, it definitely doesn't make me think of entertainment. Open Post to me implies a place where people gather and post their thoughts and opinions about anything. It's open to everyone.

Who knows. I'm just rambling. Anyway, it does look great. All the best.
  • takai003
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • takai003

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
In my opinion, when I think of and hear the name open post, it definitely doesn't make me think of entertainment. Open Post to me implies a place where people gather and post their thoughts and opinions about anything. It's open to everyone.

You got it right on - That's exactly the purpose behind the site. However I've found that more people visit the site if entertainment is included in the description. Entertainment is a big part of the site too, people wouldn't have a good reason to sign up if it wasn't.

I like the idea of a slogan, but it would be difficult coming up with one that covers the generality of the community. I'll work on that though.

And thanks for all the comments and suggestions! Keep them coming!
  • azza132
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • azza132
  • Loc: U.k

Post 3+ Months Ago

When i first came on your website the homepage looked really catchy and great, i wasn't really on this forum to go on websites just to view them but i was trying everything on your site, the images. Your website interested me and thats a bonus! The general layout is really good and the website URL is a good one, i also like your banner logo, it's real catchy :wink: Overall great site 10/10
  • winsonlu
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • winsonlu

Post 3+ Months Ago

easy to read and i like you recent topic and your design,and unwanted picture is not necessary
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your design is great. I dont really catch what the website is about. Your random Affiliates background is white in Opera 8.0 and I.E 6.0. it seems fine in Firefox though.
  • takai003
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • takai003

Post 3+ Months Ago

Version 2.0 was released a couple weeks ago. Let me know what you think and any ideas you have for improvement!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers