SITE REVIEW: Ozzu Web Templates Color Search

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello! Go here:

http://www.ozzu.com/webtemplates/

On the right hand side you will see a search area. The part that is new is the color search that allows you to sort the results by the color you choose. Please try it out and give me some feedback on any problems you notice, any ideas for improvement, or anything else you would like to say about it.

Please do not comment on any other parts of the template area, I am only interested in feedback on the color search feature.

Thanks!

Brian
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is amazing ... I really have nothing bad to say about it ... job well done ... I don't know how you did that but it's great ...
  • Tonzilit
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well done job. Good for you.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is fantastic! can you tell me what technology it works on, or is it on a 'need to know basis'?

Just one thing - I didn't spend an immense amount of time testing the Search, but it did seem to me that it is guided primarily by the color of the background, even in cases where the background is largely covered by content (in other colors). Is there any way to make it react to the overall percentage of the selected color on the entire template?

Of course having said that, the current system is probably better as it gives you templates that contain the color you want but are not necessarily swamped with it.......

I hope that comment made sense.

Anyhow, great job!

Celandine
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
this is fantastic! can you tell me what technology it works on, or is it on a 'need to know basis'?

I wrote it using PERL and MySQL. Basically in a nutshell I wrote a script that examines each screenshot with each template and determines the average overall color. From there each average color is stored in the MySQL database. Then when a user selects a color it compares that color with each template color stored in the MySQL database. The results that are returned are ordered with the templates that most closely match that color to the least. The actual color chosen does not filter any templates out, it only uses it to order them from the closest match to the least match. That is why you will notice that for any color you choose the number of results returned remain the same, unless you use other search filters above the color area (that reduce the results).

celandine wrote:
Is there any way to make it react to the overall percentage of the selected color on the entire template?

I think by computing the average color, in a way it does this. For example lets say you chose green. If a template is mostly blue but contains an area 20x20 pixels that is green, then that would be figured in on the overall average color of the template. Of course templates that have more green would show up first, the ones with the least amounts of green should show up last.

Now what it won't do, which is what you might be referring to, is actually figure out if the precise color you chose exists in the template and by what percentage. I think that would be much harder to do because there could be potentially thousands of colors that exist in a template. That combined with searching over thousands of templates would create a very high load. For example 12000 templates x 1000 colors each = 12,000,000 records searched each time that button is pressed. Compare that with 12000 templates x 1 average color = 12,000 records searched.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Other than the colorpicker being reset after submission, as in the actual picker & not the form field, it works really well.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Now what it won't do, which is what you might be referring to, is actually figure out if the precise color you chose exists in the template and by what percentage.

Yeah I guess that was what I was thinking. But of course your solution is so much better - not just because of computing economy, but also in terms of results themselves - this makes them more flexible.

I see what you mean about averages though - if I pick #86E450, which is a nice lime green, the 10th result I get is "Template With Flash Intro 1925", which is in two colors - turquoise and yellow. That's the averaging system, yes? Still as I say - I think it's actually a good thing. Might not always take you where you wanted to go, but it'll take you where you need to be.... :)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes that is probably the averaging system. Keep in mind though, that if there are no templates near the average color you chose, it will simply return the ones closests in color distance to what you picked. But you are correct because if you had a template that was 50% red and 50% blue it would actually average to purple, which means if you chose purple it should be near the top. So while the system isn't perfect, overall it does a fairly good job at returning results that match.
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very good job you did here, it works very nice.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is some amazing coding. It worked exactly as I would have expected it to, so I'd say a job well done.

I know we're not supposed to comment on the rest, but I just want to say, there are some incredible templates in there. Very inspiring stuff!
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am nothing short of impressed. It's an incredibly useful feature and simple to use. Nicely done.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You amaze me bro. That's an incredibly slick idea. Went right to the color pallet and Bam! Got the color I picked. I love it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers