SITE REVIEW: Personal Site

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Due to a request from someone i have decided to post my website so i can recieve any kind of reviews from whoever. The content is really scrappy and needs to be tidied up significantly. I am quite keen on hearing about design, anything i should change?

Just to point something out, i am aware that the blog pages are faulty. I also know that the links page is not loading up. These are pages i am currently working on.

The site
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• chitownsfinest424
  • chitownsfinest424

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would add more color maybe, and some graphics to make it look more pleasant
  • pspdownloads
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • pspdownloads

Post 3+ Months Ago

it has darkbackground and small font text that is difficult to read.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

+ Nice fast layout
- Small font in dark background

+ Small site, that is easy to see for the small resolution monitors.
- Blogs and Guestbooks don't show the content at the first try. They have to be highlited first to be seen correctly.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you everyone.

I'll admit the site has been designed specifically around my screen resolution which at one point was pretty common (1024x768px) and have only viewed the site on similar resoulutions. The colours are not something i feel need changed, i think having a few shades of grey alongwith the background image and the orange really adds a bit of character to the site.

Perhaps people have suggestions on what i could change to another colour?

Regars graphics? I am working on adding more images to the site. You should have seen it about 2 weeks ago before my new look came in - there were no graphics at all :lol:

I am really confused as to why you have to highlight the text in guestbook and blog pages as i have done nothing different to the content of these pages than the other pages on the site. I checked out my site on another machine and noticed that problem and will look at finding out what could be the problem. If anyone knows then i would love to hear from you.

I am pleased that its viewing as pretty fast on other peoples machines as that is obviously my intentions. Thanks again.

Any other comments are very much appreciated.
  • tommyy
  • tommyy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really think you should add some more colours, as its get a bit boring with the grayscale you've chosen. How about a small header on top?

tommy
  • injondan
  • Born
  • Born
  • injondan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Iif your site is on the net, you should finish it.
A text "under construction" irritates me.

Nevertheless, the site is quite good.
  • jazzmasta25

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like this site, running 1280x1024 it looks very good. The color scheme is very nice reading light grey on dark gray is easy on the eyes, everything loads fast and is very simple to use. I like the custom error pages makes it easy to continue with the site.

I don't like the underconstruction guestbook.
In Mozilla Firefox the bullets on your Charity page are colliding with the menu.
I prefer an email address in the Contact section at least.
You should either make a links page, or turn it into underconstruction.
  • rockafromhell
  • Student
  • Student
  • rockafromhell
  • Loc: Erie,Pa

Post 3+ Months Ago

its ok u think you need tro add a little something to it maby more graphics or more sectios like to entertain people or something idk....its dull
  • Patrick
  • Patrick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks ok. Site is a little squashed. As mentioned above, removing the "under construction" links would help. How about a photo of yourself?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:

Thanks for the advice.

I should really add somewhere on the page that you just need to search for "Brad Pitt" on Google Images to find a picture of my double. :)
  • mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

is that your picture for the avtar?

might I just say....wow!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

no no, i'm male.

Thats a picture of 20 year old American actress Scarlette Johanson.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let me just say, you've made some awesome progress on your web design skills SB, this is definitely a website you should be proud of. Having said that, here are some ideas. The logo at the very top, "Isnt it time you said yes", looks like its pushed down. Like if you look at the "s" 's, the bottom is cut off, there isnt a complete curve. It looks like its been chopped slightly at the bottom. Whether thats on purpose or not is another story! Also, the horizontal bar on the main page, just under the date, shows differently in firefox and explorer. FF shows a nice gray line while Explorer shows the ugly generic line. Something to look into. You should also add a background effect to the menu items, change the color to a lighter gray or something. What you have now is fine, but it may add some umph if you switched colors.

Looking through the other sections, your Charity page breaks in FF. The list at the very end gets mis-aligned when you view it in FF, looks fine in Explorer though. Your contact page also looks funny in IE, but looks ok in FF (weird!). Dont forget to put alt tags for your images. Your code and everything else looks great though. Great job. Now you have to incorporate some PHP scripts and flex your programming muscles! Hey, nice avatar btw, you're really sexy. :roll:
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:

Thank you daremedy.

The generic boring line under the date i just added yesterday and its something i will be fixing later on today (just a simple CSS adjustment, i think) but i appreciate you commenting on it.

I will have a play about with some of the other errors you pointed out on and work on them at some point. Thank you!
  • hmdeassis

Post 3+ Months Ago

Simple looking site. No much to show for. Are you done or still a work in progress?

It lacks content, images and text. And what is your prime goal?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its still a work in progress, but because its only a small personal site its not something i plan on spending hours on end on. At the moment, i am working on reinstalling my guestbook though which should allow a bit more interactivity for the regular visitors of the site.

Quite surprisingly, i might add, my site seems to get quite a good amount of visitors. Alot more a day than i can ever imagine. I guess i must be quite popular :wink:
  • eNigma69
  • Born
  • Born
  • eNigma69

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello SB :D

I visited your site and it reminded me of an FI black theme.
Orange and Black mixed well and overall I like the simplicity
of your design.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers