SITE REVIEW: Personal Website for Stage Actor

• earsdaman
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mark Sellick | Personal Website of Stage Actor

This is my attempt at making a website for myself, hoping to use it when applying for drama school and at auditions on my CV.

I've kept it very simple in terms of design/colourscheme, just wondering what people think!

I have designed it in Frontpage with lots of custom scripting - and although it displays fine in IE i know it looked bad in Firefox, so I put an 'unsupported' page up - something I'm going to work on!

Any thoughts, ideas or constructive criticism...

Regards,
Mark
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

earsdaman wrote:
I have designed it in Frontpage with lots of custom scripting - and although it displays fine in IE i know it looked bad in Firefox, so I put an 'unsupported' page up - something I'm going to work on!

That's really wrong. Your site should look good in both Fx and IE, the last thing you should do is to not view your site to Fx/Netscape users. If it wasn't for this review, I would leave the site and never come back ;). Post your problems in the Webdesign section and we'll help solving it.

The design is quite good, but you should use some more contrast, make the text darker.

Please make your site valid. A lot of errors Hiding your source code by disabling the right mouse button is not a good option. It's not user friendly and everyone who knows something about browsers knows that he can view the code by clicking View -> Source.

Good work :wink: keep it up![/url]
  • earsdaman
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand your points - thanks!

The firefox thing is a top priority as I know a lot of web users use the browser. For some reason, it just displayed awfully in firefox, so a quick solution whilst I'm working on it was to put up an unsupported page.

I really dont understand the errors, what are they? I mean, the site loads and works fine?! When you type in a large website like eBay, bbc news or manutd.com into that site it still displays error messages in the coding - I dont get it!

And the non-right clicking thing is just a personal preference! lol, I know its not fool-proof! ;)

Anyone else have any comments? :D
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks nice. I disagree with the contrast Fabinator wanted...just because I think the white works for your site. But what I would recommend is that you make the content "taller" because I think its too narrow. But besides that the site looks really nice. Not sure about any errors though. And I would definitely get the site to work in FF and Netscape, also If I wasnt reviewing I would have left....but the "unsupported" page looks nice aswell.

Good luck.:D
  • earsdaman
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with you completely on both points...

Believe it or not, the content 'area' was smaller originally, until I made it bigger. I would like to increase it more, but then it wouldnt fit on 1024 x 768, still, unfortunately a common screen resolution :(

It seems I'll have to hurry up perfecting it for firefox/netscape if I want to keep visitors! :)

Thanks for your comments! Much appreciated, any more for any more?! :P
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is a world wide organisation called the world wide web consortium or W3C. They have developed HTML and CSS for example and they have also made guidelines for all webmasters. Those errors are the result of a validation test with the guidelines. A valid page is not a must but you will get less (or no) errors in different browsers with a valid site.

And for the contrast, it's not because i don't like it, but on older screens you can't read the text, you know...

For your first website, this is really excellent! But in future, don't use tables for the lay-out. That can also be a reason why your site doesn't look good in Fx. You should use <div>'s and css..
  • Jacfu
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow Mark, the site looks great. The white and blue/grey color scheme works well together and I don't think you need to make the content taller.
I do however think you could add more content on the home page.
I also have issues with firefox pages not displaying corectly and I think Fabinator's advice is paramount: use <div>'s and css! It just makes it easier to tweak.

keep up the good work!
  • earsdaman
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

how about from a navigation/ease of use perspective?
loading time?

anything blatently obvious im missing or need?

thanks! (just trying to get as much feedback as poss!) :D
  • MrGamma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Toronto, Burlington, Hamiltion, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I could see your site I could give you a review...

You do realize that Internet Explorer market share is falling...

Your throwing away at least 20% of your visitors... and you should know being in the industry that your in that the entire entertainment industry runs on Macintosh...

Escpecially the Film Entertainment industry... your only going to get industrial video work with videographer/business men if you don't make you site compatible with everyone...

Even worse... if the GoogleBot thinks your up to anything sneaky by serving different content to different users... you might never make it into the serps long enough for anyone to find you...

Keep it simple...
  • MrGamma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Toronto, Burlington, Hamiltion, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks really slick in Internet explorer though... you can make it work in every browser...

I use this place to do tweaks all of the time... http://www.browsercam.com ( I couldn't live without it )
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I almost skipped this site ... because og the whole FF thing, but I decided to check it out ... Uhmm wow ... that's the best frontpage design I've ever seen ... nice ... I have 2 suggestions while looking at the "home" page ... firstly you could add rollovers to the bottom links that you have ... (home, Latest news, Biography, etc) ... also you could disable the link of the page that a user is on, for example if a user is on the "home" page, you could disable that link and make it another colour (or rollover state), so that a user knows which page he/she is on and doesn't redirect to the page that he/she is on ...

For the errors that Fabinator mentioned ... you can select a DOCTYPE here ... here are your validation results with different doctypes selected:
XHTML1.0 Strict - 125 errors
XHTML1.0 Transitional - 80 errors
HTML4.01 Strict - 65 errors
HTML4.01 Transitional - 20 errors

Now please bear in mind that each doctype has it's own advantages and disadvantages ... please have a look at what they are first before choosing one ...

I also thik it's better to use one external CSS document than to use inline styles ... but okay, I accept that the damadge is already done, and it'll be a lot of trouble to start from scratch ... but maybe one day when you have time you could redo it with XHTML and CSS ...

BTW ... I also had quite a few headshots, but that was while playing Unreal Tounament ... lol
  • mit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I never prefer flash websites, they always eat your time in loading ....

but this is a personal website and also not taking too much time to load...

I like your website. Upload some more impressive images buddy....

You have a good job.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers