SITE REVIEW: Peterborough Painting DOT COME CHECK ME OUT

• canadianguy33
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • canadianguy33

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey People,

I'm looking for some critiques on this site I did for a painting company. As always good and bad comments are welcome. It's pretty much done except I need to replace the slideshow pics.

Have a look and let me know what you think.

Peterborough Painting Services

Thanks
:D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spintwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • spintwo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very professional. The only thing I don't like is the serrated texture [grey] on the lower portion of the right hand column.
9.8/10
  • canadianguy33
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • canadianguy33

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great eye spintwo! Now that I really look at it I hate that damn texture (what was I thinking?) Now that you've mentioned that I don't like anything about the bottom right box. *tsk tsk on me*

Thanks for the feedback bro
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Site looks great! First comment, the menu. I'm not so sure I'm a big fan of that feature you have that turns the menu option you click into a link to the homepage. Its cool, its thoughtful, but at the end of the day, confusing. I found myself on a couple of occassions clicking the first menu option and going to the about page. A static menu is always easiest on the user, but the way you have it is cool too, so if you want to keep it around, by all means. Also keeping with the menu, that arrow at the very end is misleading, I thought there would be more options if I clicked it, instead nothing. I'm guessing you're using it as a space filler, maybe point it downwards instead, but pointing it to the right usually implies more options to be seen. Another thing I just stumbled on, if you click the Peterborough Paint Services logo a few times, the first menu option goes back and forth from homepage to about, even though the content remains the same. Whats that about. :roll:

Anyway, enough about that menu. On the index page, the pic of the guy with the moustache has grey dots running across his face from the border you were making! Maybe edit that out. Browsing through the other pages, it looks fine. My last suggestion, a footer. Its the only thing lacking from your site, toss in a Copyright at the bottom, All Rights Reserved, go crazy. It'll make that black portion at the bottom of your site look more appealing. Add in your meta description/keywords tags. Great job all around though.
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice looking site. I too was misled by the arrow in the nav menu. Pointing right or down could still be misleading. I think an alternative space filler could prove useful. I have never been a fan of iframes, or any frames for that matter. I feel that they should be used sparingly and only when absolutely necessary, such as displaying a php document within an HTML document. I do not see why you must use a frame on your site however. All in all, the site looks very well designed. But please do a better job on that image on the top left corner of your content area. I know it's there to make the border appear curved, but the way it is now does not match with the rest of the border, so it looks out of place. I'd say either get rid of it, or design an alternative image as the corner graphic. Great Site!
  • ausmeister
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ausmeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi chaps, first post here, hopefully the first of many as this seems to be a very active community! :D

Anyway the site, I liked it, especially the flash banner (even better if you could sort out the aformentioned confusing arrow!), and I also agree that the curve in the top left of the iframe doesn't fit... Give it a gentler gradient in photoshop, or cut it out altogether...

BTW site looks fine in firefox 1.

Would have given this an 8, but can't because it doesn't validate! You don't seem to have a doctype defined, and not vaildating to HTML (if not XHTML) is going to affect your ranking...

Your CSS validates though! :lol:

All in all a great job, but as someone already pointed out, whack in a footer, some meta tags, and job done! 8)
  • canadianguy33
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • canadianguy33

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol. That damn menu is confusing. I'm embarassed to admit that in my haste to get it up I simply forgot to put a home button in there while I was designing it and I didn't want to screw around with the way the menu looked. :oops:

The arrow will be changed and the curve bit at the top of the iframe will be fixed aswell. Other than validating and doing the meta tags I guess this sucker is done.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone! :D
  • ausmeister
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ausmeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your welcome :oops:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers