Voting Chart

Total votes : 2

Would you register a petition?

Poll ended at September 24th, 2006, 6:37 pm.

•  
    Yes
  •  
    No
  •  
    Maybe later

SITE REVIEW: Petitions

• Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got the idea after getting chain mail requesting my signature on a long list of about 500 people who had supposedly signed a petition for something(i think 50 were legitamate). So basically there are about 1000 different versions of the list now with totally different signatures, all circulating in a giant unorganized mess. And where does this petition go to anyways? How will anyone ever know if it's already been sent to the person in charge?

Anyways, there area number of inefficiencies in this system, and basically I think anyone should be able to create a petition and have people sign it without this chaos.

So that's how my idea comes in. This section of my site allows people to register for, manage, and sign petitions. It's free and so far ad-free. I've just started designing, so not everything is working yet. I'm looking to hear what people think of the idea, if it has any potential, how many of you would want to register a petition, and if you notice any errors(not broken links yet).

http://www.azoundria.com/petitions
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Worked a bit on registration. Why am I getting no replies?
  • Confemo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Confemo

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off, did you bother to check if a petition site already existed? I know for a fact that there are atleast a few.

As for the site... is this a testing page on your current domain? Do you plan on moving it to its own domain? If you plan on just having an off shoot of your personal site I don't think it has any chance of taking off.

The site is dark. White text on black background looks bad to me. The table borders look very old school (thats a bad thing).

When I go to the control panel without registering it shows a "No input" error. If you try to access that while signed out it should redirect you to the login/signip page.

Thats all for now...
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe it doesnt have much chance of taking off. But there are these features which I am not sure are in the other petition sites:

1) Complete HTML editting potential
2) HTML allowed in posts, to some extent
3) View all signatures together instead of in pages
4) No ads

Is this enough to get an edge? I might be able to get a seperate domain if it would be worth it.
  • Confemo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Confemo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know... it might be worth it.

Why not just use BBCode for the formatting? If you get into total html editing its going to turn into an absolute mess (i.e. 95% of MySpace profiles.).

Why does a petition need to be styled? I think you should think about priorities here...

BigOil Inc just moved into Alaska and starts ravaging the innocent moose population. This needs to be stopped... let's start a petition. Hmm... I think this word should be blinking in a neon green text. Let's have this sentence marquee across the screen. Better add a ton of animated gifs while we're at it. This is especially important.. better make it 72px Comic Sans.

Can you see we're I'm going with this?

It might be ok if you want your site infested with a bunch of 13 year old MySpacer's petitioning to get less homework from their science teacher...
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was thinking people can use the HTML to apply a skin to their petitions, or to add features such as page counters or shoutboxes.

I don't see the point in limiting the freedom of users, because it can be used to their disadvantage.

Or am I missing something?
  • Confemo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Confemo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why does a petition need to have a skin?

You could just add a page counter to the actual petition.

The only time I can see this being helpful is if someone who is a web developer decides to create a petition... how often is that going to happen?
Any other time you will end up with a. the default petition cause they don't know what html is. b. a ridiculous looking abomination of a petition c. something that will break your page and have security flaws.

Again... I think you need to look at the priorities. To me it sounds like you want to make another MySpace with the feature of adding a petition.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uses:
-Some people use sites such as BraveHost, Geocities, or Freewebs for free hosting and want a petition that matches their site skin.
-People who want a petition that looks professional. Maybe they want to play a movie or something that they host elsewhere in their petition.
-Petition starters may find someone who is great at web design to give them a relevant web design. Such as if you were doing a petition about the environment you would have smog in the background and leaf-coloured borders. Or corporates would want their petition to be professional and square.

The don't have to take advantage of editting, and there will be default templates. I can see the possibility of abuse, but I will be able to fix security holes as they pop up.

Why shouldn't I have the feature?
  • Confemo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Confemo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go for it...

Good luck. I hope you succeed.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor