SITE REVIEW: H&K Photography

• CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just wanted to know what you guys thought about this site for a Michigan based Photographer, built on wordpress.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• magstudios
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • magstudios

Post 3+ Months Ago

What a brilliant Site Dude really very good Image gallery only Content is missing.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Awesome site especially for being built on wordpress.

The first thing I noticed though was that the font you used in your footer which says:
H&K PhotographY wrote:
Serving the Western Michigan area including, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Holland, Hudsonville, Sparta, Big Rapids, Traverse City, Benton Harbor, Saugatuck, Kentwood, Lowell, Marne, Battle Creek, Lansing, Martin, Wayland, St. Joseph, and Muskegon. Design and Hosting by Push-Here.

is very difficult to read. I actually couldn't read it until I highlighted it all and even then I might have wanted to paste it to something else to make it quicker.

I would change that.

Other than that, the site looks great. You make great use of transparency and your portfolio section that loads that javascript or flash is a cool feature.

Nicely done.
  • Smiling Nomad
  • Smiling Nomad

Post 3+ Months Ago

Using a Black and White photo blends in nicely with the overall color scheme of your site. The pictures in the Portfolio section load nicely with good resolution. Site navigation is very straight forward, but is one of the areas I would consider changing.

When you use Wordpress it will default to “ugly” links such as http://www.handkphotography.com/?page_id=6 for your “About” section. Depending on how you have your sections laid out you can adjust this under the Settings, Permalinks. Besides that I think the site is laid out quite nice.
  • san_sa_rocky
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

KOOL website. takes too much time with slow connection. the back ground doesnt fell good. but the whole planning of design is Kool!! good luck!!
  • AnyDemo
  • AnyDemo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

The design is good. The only comments are:

1. I don't like the "progress bar" at the left top corner. It seems that some contents are loading all the time.

2. The empty black empty space in Portfolio page.

Best regards
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the site and the black and white photo.
Good job on this one, lay out's good too.
  • hlx98007
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hlx98007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I loved your Portfolio, what a design. Where did you find this or you wrote this flash script? AMAZING...
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site is html/css on wordpress. The portfolio is on SlideShow pro. Both I highly recommend (although director kinda bogged down my server).

Is the portfolio not loading for some people (AnyDemo,magstudios)?

Merlyn, I bumped the footer up a pt let me know if that helps enough, I dont really mind if its a little unreadable since its mostly for the search engines but I dont want it to appear that I am trying to hide something either.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • rhwebs
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • rhwebs

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the design ad layout. Very nice and very professional looking.

Just a couple of comments.

1) The pages seem to load very slowly. I don't know if that is your hosting provider or what. It doesn't look very professional when your pages load slowly, people will get frustrated and it will hurt your SEO as well.

2) You should add some images to the about page. Too much text. It needs to have better flow.

3) You should add a services page to describe what kind of photography services you provide. This will also give you another page that you can optimize for different keywords. If you only do wedding and events you should make it more obvious.

4) You should vary the size of your fonts. Other than your logo, you use the same size font throughout your site. For example, on the about page About Us should be in a bigger bolder font. The persons names should be bigger and bolder. That will make the page easier to scan and help it flow better.

Rick
  • lucky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

first, i'm not really into photography!
sorry, but that said:
professional clean look.
header looks good.
all links working.
good to see footer.
might want to place some ads to earn revenue.
however, site loads quite slowly.
nice use of wordpress, very unique indeed.
  • mhammadd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mhammadd

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site look really nice, but there's 2 things I came across that you might want to improve.

1. Make the logo clickable
2. The site took a while to load, and I guess it has to do with the background image you're using (try to use the slicing technique
  • BradPitt
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • BradPitt

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. It seems that some contents are loading all the time. you need to fix this issue.
2. Overall design is good with some very good features except few things are very difficult to read.
  • seoseattle
  • Born
  • Born
  • seoseattle

Post 3+ Months Ago

You definitely have a sharp no frills just eye pleasing images and user friendly information site. I for one did think a little more content would have driven home why this photographer is my best choice...
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all the feedback I am in the process of removing some of the sites from the server, so hopefully that will speed up load times and I will talk to the owner about some of the content changes mentioned.

Thanks again.
  • maahan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks good.glad to see that made from WordPress !
wordpress is easy to customize..and can create any type of sites ! wow !
  • cgardiner
  • Loc: Caribbean

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you have done a great job here, the feel of the site caters to the subject matter very well. Your use of black and grays allow the images to stand out for what they are.

I can see why the text in right aligned as per the design but as a note english speaking people find it more comfortable to have their text read left to right.

Otherwise, sweet!
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah cgarduner, I agree about not right aligning because of readability, it's just that sometimes I like to throw things off a bit by right aligning just to add some visual interest.
  • victoriaphee
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • victoriaphee

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it. It's clean and professional looking. You can add more content on the homepage for SEO purposes
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll let him know. That's one of the things I love about wordpress is once I get the template done I can just turn the site over to the owner and let them do all the content. Thanks for the feedback.
  • ahmeTT
  • Born
  • Born
  • ahmeTT

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may use a better links (maybe graphics) at navbar.
At "links" page you have a some [black] borders that seems so ugly :\

BUT! The site looks like really, really good ;)
  • webdesignerrr
  • Born
  • Born
  • webdesignerrr

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it a lot, and that is one of the reasons I reviewed this site. Photography sites ALWAYS have the best graphics and layouts. Well done, I love this site.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers