SITE REVIEW: pixelweb

• pixelweb
  • pixelweb
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dear all...

i've just finished the design of my web n graphics design tutorials site..called pixelweb
http://pixelweb.110mb.com

please give some feedback on the layout and content presentation...
and any suggestions to improve are always appreciated.....

cheers...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Sovi3t
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Sovi3t
  • Loc: 127.0.0.1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice. simple. I find your logo a bit tacky. I hate the "Web 2.0" fad. I'd ditch the reflective part of your logo. This is a website about creativity. Don't just go with everyone else's web2.0 logo style. I think it would look better without the reflection. It's a good site name, logo is nice and simple, and the little icon is cool.

Good color scheme.

Your "home" button on the top navigation--
1) The curved line doesn't meet the horizontal bar.
2) It looks like a tab--it would be cool if you could make all the top navigation buttons into that style of a tab. The "home" nav item and the 4 others don't really match. I'd make them all look spiffy like the home button, with nice anti-aliased fonts.

Content -
I was sad to see that your tutorials/resources were just links to other sites. A site like this one deserves its own content. Right now your site is mostly just a portal.

I read your "Web Design Basics" -- to us webdesigners, what you wrote makes complete sense. But someone visiting your site looking to start web design will be completely lost.
"Then comes the actual design phase which includes: outline design, Layout design and adding content." - Explain how.. do a little basic HTML.. get 'em started!
"Next, add proper title, description and a list of keywords on each page of your site so that it becomes easier for search engines to identify what your pages are all about." - Beginners won't know how to do this.

What the internet really needs--is more articles on getting into web design. Write a tutorial that goes through everything step by step. Have directions so exact that an 8 year old could follow them. Pick a free webhost, tell people to sign up there (maybe you can find one with a referral program for some extra $ ;) ). Some of my friends are interested in web design, but I don't have the time to teach them everything. The most simple steps they miss. Write an article that goes throught each insignificant step. How to: sign up for the webhost (and where), how to make a basic HTML page, how to upload the files, etc. Get the routine down and they'll be looking at your more advances articles in no time. Sorry to babble. I would just really love something like this to show to people interested in w.d. Write a tutorial like this and I promise to send a few visitors your way ;)

I think you will need more pages. Right now I can see your site is made of only a few basic pages. I don't like how some of your "articles" I can access from one page I can't from another. You will need a page that lists all of the articles on your site--especially if you are going to add more of your own. Right now, if I click on an article on your main navigation, it gives me more links for articles. You have to "crawl" through the site to find content rather than getting them all listed on one page. Your navigation items shouldn't be articles.

Sorry about the long reply. Just had some stuff on my mind. But overall, great site, it's a good start. Design looks great, just some things need to be tweaked to match the design/sleekness of other parts.
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice look, although I have to side with Sovi3t about the reflections...there nice but now everyone has them. The only thing I would change is where it says "Dos and Dont's", I would add an apostrophe in "do's"...I'm not sure to which is more correct but the latter is more easily read.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe this was already mentioned, but I recommend that you put it on a real pay-to-host server.
  • NTC-Will
  • NTC-Will

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is good, nice and clean
  • pixelweb
  • pixelweb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you so much Sovi3t, murcielagossi, Bogey and NTC-Will..
I really appreciate your valuable thoughts.

Special thanks to Sovi3t for your suggestions. I wud sure write my own articles that prove useful to newbie web designers n wud bring up all those changes in a couple of days and do tell your friends abt Pixelweb...

Cheers! :)
  • 2stamlers
  • 2stamlers

Post 3+ Months Ago

Site looks crispy clear, just like it has to be in category of "web n graphics design tutorials site". Maybe you should consider getting a new domain name, to get some traffic, and look more professional. Good job!
  • cinema88
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • cinema88

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow ... great job ... i think that design is simple and very good ... usebility is good too! ..
  • questmedia
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very clean design and good content...on external links...maybe you'll post some of your own work :)
  • kena
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kena

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to make a review, yet I can't open it , why?
  • pixelweb
  • pixelweb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you so much 2stamlers, 2stamlers and questmedia
for your valuable thoughts..

@kena:
Hey..I guess Pixelweb was under temporary maintenance the time you wanted to check it..
please do check back now...

@All:

Pixelweb has been updated with some more content...
Do check back..

Cheers!
  • dreamndeal
  • Born
  • Born
  • dreamndeal
  • Loc: hyderabad

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice look
  • pixelweb
  • pixelweb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dear all..

Pixelweb has now been updated with new stuff! A new 'Tutorial submission Contest' has been added too...The homepage look has also been changed..

Check it out and keep your feedback coming...Thanx again for ur interest...
Cheers!
  • lazyonlineincome
  • lazyonlineincome

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its good! very nice, clean design.
  • musicmp3
  • musicmp3

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Pleasant simple design
2. Very good titles
3. Interesting icons
4. Interesting info
5. TOO BAD SEO - PR=0 - the time has com to foght with google )))
  • hargurnaz
  • Born
  • Born
  • hargurnaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suggest that you buy a professional domain name rather free domain, rest you have a great design.
Best of luck.
Hargurnaz
http://www.crispyweb.com/
  • robyroy
  • robyroy
  • Loc: romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice design, simple, but nice
clean code...
good job
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Still very nice design, but the large block ads get in the way of the content, maybe get rid of or scale them down.
  • custommaster
  • Born
  • Born
  • custommaster
  • Loc: St Louis

Post 3+ Months Ago

pixelweb,

Very nice I like the use of the white background on the home page, good content also.

Regards,
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about adding a lite gray/grey line between the two columns. Just a little suggestion.
  • adfodo
  • adfodo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the site looks great. It is simple and gets right to the point. The ads are well incoroprated and do not stand out as an eye sore. The only thing that stood out to me where the bright blue links if you go to another link. Maybe you should keep the same color throughout.
  • s_mss_a
  • s_mss_a

Post 3+ Months Ago

pixelweb wrote:
Dear all...

i've just finished the design of my web n graphics design tutorials site..called pixelweb

please give some feedback on the layout and content presentation...
and any suggestions to improve are always appreciated.....

cheers...

Very neatly organized site. You're off to a good start but I recommend you to use InkScape to design your logo. It's free and it's very similar to Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
  • koolguy
  • Born
  • Born
  • koolguy

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice site

thanks
  • guppyman
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • guppyman

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love your site. The design is very clean and nice.

Regard
  • gruber
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • gruber
  • Loc: Croatia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi I like a design and overall look,
Only thing I don't like is google add on page Web Design Tutorials - think you should have put it bellow or above the content - maybe thats just personal but I hate cuts with commercials.
Another thing - when you click on Jumpstart, Optimization link is gone - you have to click back on home link to get to it

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers