SITE REVIEW: Playtime Bowl

• canadianguy33
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • canadianguy33

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all,

I figured I'd throw this out to all the punks here for some opinions. :lol:

It's been pretty challenging trying to make bowling look cool graphically and I'm just wondering how I'm doing. It's wip so any feedback on how to improve it is really appreciated.

http://www.playtimebowl.com

Cheers
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very first impression is that its too busy. There just too many colors and its hard to really navigate through anything below the menu. Maybe toss in a few headings. I think throughout the site its just too many different colors and too much content, can get a little confusing. The only other thing is the footer at the bottom, how it just cuts off, just clean that up and it should have a nicer finish to it. Being as I'm from the T-dot, the site was pretty handy! Might pop on by one weekend and see what this place is about! Good stuff.
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like what I see, I think the business works in this case as all the movements, colors and the way things work are just about right considering the purpose of the website.

Theres only one thing I HAVE to point out...get rid of that pop-up window that KEEPS on poping up every so often...it doesn't get more annoying then that.
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

business=busy-ness
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

The rollover buttons are kinda whack. They don't really fit in with the site.

The footer, as previously mentioned, doesn't really work out.

Why do I keep getting the same pop-up over and over?
  • canadianguy33
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • canadianguy33

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

In regards to the popup I agree that it's annoying and I'll come up with a fix real soon I hope. I want to have it pop up after the page loads but I've been having some annoying little problems with that. The problem I'm having is that if I just have the popup load once right off the bat some of the tiled images on the main page don't load. I figured I could just activate the popup through a flash movie but the problem is that after the movie goes through the loop it keeps repeating the spawnwindow action. :(

As for it being busy I figured that with this type of business I could afford to have a lot going on design wise being that there's a lot going on at this bowling centre.
  • ManXP
  • ManXP
  • Loc: Lithuania

Post 3+ Months Ago

A lot of graphics. Some people don't like overloaded websites. In other case, all these animations make your website live. A little hard to find needed information. Just please remove that pop-up, it appears again and again.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is up with that really annoying pop up?? I have pop up blockers on but it's by passing it somehow and it won't stop popping up lol

I like your logo

You don't seem to have a central focal point. My eyes dont know where to look first

Try making your font colour a bit darker so it stands out more

The footer image isn't as long as the rest of the site

Site takes too long to load

On your doug gilmour page your common navbar disappears??

I'm not sure if "main PLAYTIME" is very obvious that it's a link to the main page.

Use alt tags for your images

Use css to declare your fonts rather than inline font tags
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

you know I love the design overall, but the people here have hit on all the things I would suggest tweaking. I think the flashwork is well done and it fits the site. The colors are perfect IMO, and the fact you had to work with so many different layouts has turned out better than I imagined by how you described it. I give you props for contending with that challenge and handling it so well.

The style of the site is perfect, though I agree that the rollovers of the subnav links don't fit the design. And I thought you were fixing the main nav buttons so they had a rollout? they just stop animating when you move your mouse off, and that makes it seem incomplete IMO.

the footer really urks me that it doesn't match up on both sides. Now, I realize it's meant to be this way, but the way it's set up makes it look incomplete.

the popup thing is a problem for obvious reasons. I would recommend using this code for popups (should you REALLY need a popup at all). Put this in the <head>:
Code: [ Select ]
<SCRIPT language="Javascript">
   <!-- BEGIN EXIT CODE
   var console=true;
   function enter()
  { if (console)
open("/popup.html");
   }
  // END EXIT CODE -->
  </SCRIPT>
  1. <SCRIPT language="Javascript">
  2.    <!-- BEGIN EXIT CODE
  3.    var console=true;
  4.    function enter()
  5.   { if (console)
  6. open("/popup.html");
  7.    }
  8.   // END EXIT CODE -->
  9.   </SCRIPT>

then in the body tag, next to the bgcolor and margins tags:
Code: [ Select ]
onLoad="enter()"

I have to agree about the Paytime Main link, it took me a good 2 min to figure out how to get back to the start of the site. Now I know I should READ, but something a little more obvious might be in order is all I'm suggesting. Maybe a HOME tab at the top right of the layout would do. good job on the site man, I really do like it. :thumbsup:
  • Zpoon
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

I HATED the popup that keeps coming up, enough to hate the rest of the site as well.

Pity, 'cause the design isn't bad, although there is too much animation that draws my focus away from the site content...
  • canadianguy33
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • canadianguy33

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha everyone hates the footer :P I'll extend it to please you all.

As for the popup; I'm happy that it is bypassing your popup blockers. Muuuuuuuuuahhahahahahahahaaaa I noticed a while back that prompting popups from flash somehow reduced the risk of it being blocked. Don't ask me how it works but it does....well, sometimes.

Unflux thanks for the code buddy. I'll give it a try and cross my fingers that it still reeps the benefits of not being detected as a popup. lol

I haven't forgotten about the rollovers btw I've just been so bogged down with doing posters. signage, brochures, mailers, business cards, kiosks and every other type of media you can think of for these guys. They're by far the best at what they do and truthfully I think they are about the most proactive company I've ever worked with. The design is busy because they are busy. They do everything to the best of their ability and make it fun for everyone. A couple of weeks ago I was in there and I witnessed a hilarious jack & jill party where the bride had to walk the groom on all fours throughout the bowling centre. Pizza eating contests and prizes are a regular thing too. They wanted a busy website and I think so far I've accomplished that. Beware that it'll get busier and crazy as time goes on.
  • Kebron
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

The load time for your website is in the red zone, meaning people will leave your site before it's finished loading. I have a DSL connection so it's no problem for me. But the important thing to remember about designing websites is that not everyone has a fast connection, so watch your load time. Otherwise, it's a pretty cool site.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers