SITE REVIEW: Please review my website

• mechanix9
  • Born
  • Born
  • mechanix9

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys, i am still new here but i have been a web designer for almost 3 years, i just made a new design for my online diamond commerce website http://www.ondiamonds.com , and i'd really like to get some feedback from you guys, I'd really appreciate honest reviews! positive and negative feed backs would be appreciated!
  • mit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I liked it.

Well designed and nice content.
  • martens
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • martens

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

All your website seems to be squashed up to the left, You have lots of space on the right hand side but you dont seem to be using it.

The colors are a little plain, But other than that it seems ok.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

the site is pretty - I like the blue you've chosen as your main color, it's strong and clear, and while it isn't earth-shatteringly original it is very effective and sets off both the white and yellow gold beautifully. I like the layout as well - it's clean and easy to read. Your content is similar to most other sites of that type, which is a fine thing - you don't seem to be missing anything... I like the fact that you have a 'diamond education' section......

I do agree with penguin about the positioning - I think you should center it. It just looks more professional that way, especially if someone is viewing it on a bigger screen. I'm currently viewing on a 20" monitor, and your footer ad bar ends about an inch and a half before the page does - so the two links on it ('close this' and 'don't show this again') end up hovering over the light gray background color and become nigh invisible. so I'd suggest you extend that bar so it always stretches from side to side.........

but these are all little things. all in all a great job.
  • jnrcorps
  • jnrcorps

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the site looks great apart from just one thing it could just be me, the home page has great images colours are nice and stand out but i would of made it a full screen website i didn't like the gap on the right handside

But apart from that like i said it looks great well done
  • Ethan Kolasinski
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Ethan Kolasinski

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps you could put some of the information in the table on the right, thus saving the need to scroll down to see all of the info.

Ethan Kolasinski
  • vbtricks
  • vbtricks
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice. Just two annotations:

1. Did you try a serif-font? Might be worth a try.
2. Highlighting hovered links in the navigation (underlining or slightly different color) could improve usability.

Nice work,

Stefan
  • pkdude113
  • pkdude113

Post 3+ Months Ago

where did you get all that jewlerey?
btw nice site.The pop up at the beginning was annoying though.
  • mrquotes

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nicely done ....
Products need to be more emphasied.
that footer element was a bit annoying
overall good design & a good domain name
  • Goginski
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Goginski
  • Loc: Alabama

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well done website. Clean good colors and easy to navigate. Like some of the others I would try to give some of the links at the tip a hover attribute. Could probably due with CSS pretty easy. Other than that I don't mind the gap on the side. I guess you could break it down into 3 columns or center it with space on the sides but I don't think it is that big a deal.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

The W3C Validator found only one error on your home page, and it's a very easy one to fix ... click here to see it ... That's a good start ...

That thing in the footer (the bar that stretches across the screen) is IMO really not a good idea ... I though it was the end of your page at first glance until I read vbtricks's post and found out that it isn't really your footer ...

Then something you have to do is add rollovers to the links, that's not even negotiable ... rollovers are very important IMO ...

I'm going to be honest with you, your coding is more than sloppy ... it's really bad ... that site can be done in far less code ... and also it wastes a lot of bandwidth ... take this for instance at this moment your code is 15.5kb ... if you just remove all the spacing, line breaks and commented out code you can bring the size down to 10kb easily ... that means that each time your page is opened you save 5.5kb of bandwidth, that doesn't sound like a lot, but let's say you have 200 hits a day ... that means you could be saving 1100kb a day, or 33000kb a month ...now if you just code it better you could save an additional 5kb a day ... just though I'd point that out ...

Then please disable the link of the page that a user is on, for example if a user is on the "Loose Diamonds" page, you could disable the "Loose Diamonds" link and make it another colour (Or rollover state), that way users won't redirect to the page that they are already on, and they'll know where on the site they are ...
  • moreetan
  • Born
  • Born
  • moreetan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the site looks ok but i didn't like the gap on the right handside
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

penguin wrote:
All your website seems to be squashed up to the left, You have lots of space on the right hand side but you dont seem to be using it.

The colors are a little plain, But other than that it seems ok.

I would agree about the unused space to the right. I would truncate your pages to the left, or come up with some additional content to fill up that empty area. Other than that, I like what you've done - particularly your use of color and font. Nice job. One final thought, the pop-up banner at the bottom isn't annoying, but what is annoying is that when I go to disable it, it keeps reappearing; you might want to look into that.
  • Boke
  • Student
  • Student
  • Boke
  • Loc: Hiroshima, Japan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I liked it, sorry but the only thing I could think of was having your phone number 888- ondiamonds , I think you should just go with the numbers

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers