SITE REVIEW please!

• lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all. I'm at a point now where I would love some feedback on my site, my first site. It is not finished but I feel there is enough there for valid feedback to be made. I will be adding much more content in the coming days/weeks. My site can be found at:

[url]home[/url]

Some links are not set up, but instead of them going no-where I have simply gray-ed them out, just so you know. It shouldn't be a problem (as they are small), but I have not yet optimized images so I apologize for that in advance - this will be rectified soon though.

I've tested it in MS/IE and MS/Mozilla, so anyone using other systems/browsers I would be glad to hear how it looks to you. Thanks everyone - I look forward to your valued input!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Valid CSS and XHTML is a great start! However, your markup isn't correct despite the fact it is valid.

Example:
Code: [ Select ]
<p>
 <a href="index.php">home</a> |
 <a href="news.php?date=2004">news</a> |
 <a>photos</a> |
 <a>forum</a> |
 <a href="links.php?lx=clubs">links</a> |
 <a href="about.php">about us</a>

</p>
  1. <p>
  2.  <a href="index.php">home</a> |
  3.  <a href="news.php?date=2004">news</a> |
  4.  <a>photos</a> |
  5.  <a>forum</a> |
  6.  <a href="links.php?lx=clubs">links</a> |
  7.  <a href="about.php">about us</a>
  8. </p>

While this does work, your links would be better defined as a list rather than a paragraph. Refer to this article:
Don’t Fake Your Markup: Accessibility Issues for CSS

Here's a great site with lots of examples on how to use lists and CSS for navigation:
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/

You'll love it :)

You might consider using a more subdued color for your background. I'm not really crazy about the blue but that's just me. ;)

Other than that, I think it's a great start.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey lionking. Not a bad site. Here are some comments:

- I'm not too crazy about the yellow. It's a little bit on the bright side. Try a less bright colour see how that looks.

- In your links section, I think you should improve on the layout of the content. Maybe with some hard returns to space out the entries and make them bulleted list as well.

- As JrzyCrim mentioned, I would have to agree with his CSS comment.

- You have a graphic called "logo3.bmp" which usually are big files (250K to 1 MByte - or more). If you are building a website, you don't want visitors waiting too long for huge files to download. I'd suggest converting your bitmap graphics to a .gif format (jpeg for photos). These will take up one tenth the size with a negligible loss of quality.

- Besides that, it looks like you've done a decent job. You're well on your way doo!

Keep it up :)
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many thanks for the comments! I have now changed my links across the top to a list rather than the <p> they were previously in (smacks self on the wrists :) ). Nothing but a newbie mistake there!

Re: the colors, I have taken the edge off the blue and yellow. Hopefully it is not as strong.

Finally re: the images, I understand competely! I am getting around to that - I was going to use .gif or .png there. I would like this to load as quickly as possible as I know for sure that some of the users will only have accesss to dial-up connections, and right now I know the images are the biggest obstacle there.

Anyone else?
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just one more comment, why are you putting the "|" in <li> tags?

Code: [ Select ]
<ul class="navbar">
<li><a href="index.php">home</a></li><li> | </li>
<li><a href="news.php?date=2004">news</a></li> <li> | </li>
<li><a>photos</a></li><li> | </li>

<li><a>forum</a></li><li> | </li>
<li><a href="links.php">links</a></li><li> | </li>
<li><a href="about.php">about us</a></li>
</ul>
  1. <ul class="navbar">
  2. <li><a href="index.php">home</a></li><li> | </li>
  3. <li><a href="news.php?date=2004">news</a></li> <li> | </li>
  4. <li><a>photos</a></li><li> | </li>
  5. <li><a>forum</a></li><li> | </li>
  6. <li><a href="links.php">links</a></li><li> | </li>
  7. <li><a href="about.php">about us</a></li>
  8. </ul>

there are other ways to set up a ul class id without having to set it up the way you have. Try this site, this is a good tutorial that is cross browser and shows you a simple way to display a horizontal menu
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listutorial/horizontal_introduction.htm
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Love this! You peeps are so thorough! 8)

613flavah wrote:
Just one more comment, why are you putting the "|" in <li> tags?

They (the "|") are there to give a visual separator between each link. I guess I could use borders to create the same effect? Would that be ok?

I appreciate the link but I am not looking to duplicate buttons right now - however I may in future projects or even versions of this site.

Thanks again.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers