SITE REVIEW: Plumbing-Tech.com

• DoomKitten

Post 3+ Months Ago

I designed this site for my husband and his partners company.

Plumbing-Tech.com

I really have no design experience and this is my only site that's why I am coming here to ask professionals what you think might improve it. I started with a template I found online.

I wasn't paid for this though now I wonder if I should have charged something as every time they need something added I am the one doing it though I wouldn't have a clue as to pricing it. :lol:

Thank you for any advice you may have.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rizwanrajput
  • Born
  • Born
  • rizwanrajput
  • Loc: Karachi

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice website
  • DoomKitten

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you.
  • DoomKitten

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would anyone else like to input? I would really like to hear anything you have to say, from a web designers view as well as if you were a customer looking for a plumber. Thank you so much for your time.
  • DoomKitten

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone? I'm sorry that I can't have more input but honestly I built this site with a template and google.
  • matthew_astill
  • Born
  • Born
  • matthew_astill

Post 3+ Months Ago

HYE THERE..
GOOD WORK..
  • DoomKitten

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was really hoping for advice or any input :(
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm probably going to seem like I'm trying to be rude. I'm just trying to get straight to the points though. :)

--

The site is responding to requests for both the domain with and without www with the same response.

http://plumbing-tech.com/
http://www.plumbing-tech.com/

You need to decide which one you want to be the permanent address and redirect any requests from the other one to it.

--

The van image on the About Us page has two issues I can see, the first being the most important.

The image itself is nearly 1MB in size and 3X as large as the HTML has it displayed. This is wasteful and even on a fast connection the first time someone looks at that page it's going to take that image a few seconds to load. If you resize the image itself so that it matches what is in the HTML (or at least close) the file will be at least 10X smaller and load much faster.

The HTML is also distorting the aspect ratio of the image, the correct height for that image at 599 pixels in width is 311 pixels. The HTML has it being displayed at 370 pixels in height. This can cause the image to appear distorted.

I see the image has a Photoshop CS signature in the files information, so I'm guessing you have access to Photoshop and can resize the image yourself. If not, I've attached a resized copy of the image since it only takes a few seconds to resize an image from the commandline here. Note that this image is about 70KB instead of 900+KB.

Attachments:
van2.jpg

--

What areas do you guys serve ? I see a phone number, and I could probably track you down by looking up the area code, but someone searching for "my area plumbing" isn't going to take the time to do that, neither is the search engine that's directing customers to your competitor who has what areas they serve well laid out.

--

The title of every page on the site is "Plumbing-tech". You need to change the titles of pages other than the home page to something that better reflects what the visitor is going to see in those pages. For the home page, you'll want your title to reflect what your target audience is likely to be looking for.

For instance, if you were to serve the "Tampa Bay Area", your home page title might be "Tampa Bay Plumbing". Visitors are looking for a plumber first, they're looking for who that plumber is second and can find that information on the page.

--

I'd rewrite the home pages intro content. Make it less about who you are and how you do what you do, and more about what it is you do. Nobody cares who you are until they're sure you can do what they need done.

--

That's all I see off the top of my head.
  • DoomKitten

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank You!!! I greatly appreciate your input and will look into updating these things. You weren't rude at all it was exactly what I was looking for :)
  • dordor

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice but too many effects if you ask me, where is the content?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find repeating the same sound every time the page loads annoying. It would be more effective if it only played the first time a user landed on the home page, or alternatively, only for the home page.
  • ArtphotoasiA
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Italy

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:

--

The site is responding to requests for both the domain with and without www with the same response.

http://plumbing-tech.com/
http://www.plumbing-tech.com/ .

why that??
can explain to me ?

why is important to decide?
  • DoomKitten

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was curious about that too. I thought it would be good if either directed you to the site.
  • DoomKitten

Post 3+ Months Ago

@ ATNO/TW, thank you and noted. I was thinking it could be a little much for the sounds but like I said I got it as a template so now I have to figure out how to remove each thing which hopefully wont be an issue.

@dordor, can you elaborate? The site is also definitely still a work in progress so there are other pages that I am working on to add in as well.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

DoomKitten, now that you've received some in-depth advice about your site from members here at Ozzu, could you perhaps go back and give three actual reviews of others' sites? Your three "reviews" you posted to meet our requirement weren't any more helpful than the first two replies you received to this topic.
  • CTosswill
  • Born
  • Born
  • CTosswill

Post 3+ Months Ago

My thoughts:

The lower images ( animated gif and 24 hour service ) on your landing page should be the same width and should probably be aligned with the nav or the banner right now it seems arbitrary.

The red line around your coupon is jarring and doesnt go well with the rest of your site. Maybe use that orange instead.
  • NeadoDesigns
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Calgary

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice design ^^ I would suggest adding a brush effect and a gradient to your "Internet Special" ad to draw in more attention to it, and I would position it to the left under the "We know your time is valuable" paragraph.
  • HelgaValerie
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • HelgaValerie

Post 3+ Months Ago

for me the pages of the website do not look like actual pages... it looks like some elements placed in disorder, especially on the homepage. I agree with what CTosswill said, also the blue banner with water looks narrower than the menu above. I see there is a half transparent frame around, but is seems to be useless there. As for me the height of the banner is a bit too large.
  • userecho
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Image before "We know your time is valuable" doesn't load
  • wumod
  • Born
  • Born
  • wumod

Post 3+ Months Ago

this site looks good .but you have things to do with the content and seo

Post Information