SITE REVIEW: popculturefreaks.com

• TheNotoriousMogg
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TheNotoriousMogg
  • Loc: Silicon Valley, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is my new forum based on pop culture discussion.

http://popculturefreaks.com/vb/

if you can offer any tips please do.

thank you.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

All I got was a big TEST. Now it's kind of hard to review just one word. :)

Probably caught you in a bad moment.
  • TheNotoriousMogg
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TheNotoriousMogg

Post 3+ Months Ago

quantumcloud wrote:
All I got was a big TEST. Now it's kind of hard to review just one word. :)

Probably caught you in a bad moment.

Link fixed, I am a retard.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

np man. It happens all the time.

vb/images/icons/icon1.gif is giving a 404. The page looks too static. At least the links could have a hover effect. Work on the template's css file for that. For a site topic like that could you not use some more colorful theme? Although, as is, it is very readable. Was the theme created by you?
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like a fun forum. I think its a bit bland to be honest. You need to liven it up a bit!! add a rollover and some other colors besides grays and look forward to having some good times :D
  • TheNotoriousMogg
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TheNotoriousMogg

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys, yes I created the theme. I wanted something very good for the eyes. I will look into adding a hover effect to the links, any other ideas?

thanks.
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not bad, not bad! I like the header image. Very nice.

The page sidescrolls a bit in 800x600 - please fix your header image and tables to remedy that. Sidescrolling is generally unattractive.

I like the gray background. Maybe make your table cells dark red with a lighter red on hover? Look at Ozzu's topics. They are dark gray with a lighter gray on hover. I find that effect very attractive in forums.

For hover effects, I'm particularly fond of the effect I created on my page, http://conorific.com/orig (narcisisstic, I know.) If you hover over the links, the underline is a different color, successfully integrating three colors into a single link, with nothing but CSS. If you like it, here's the code for it:

Code: [ Select ]
a {text-decoration:none;
font-weight:bold;
color:#FB6CB2;}

a:hover {color:#F2C72A;
text-decoration:none;
border-bottom:2px solid #9DA265}
  1. a {text-decoration:none;
  2. font-weight:bold;
  3. color:#FB6CB2;}
  4. a:hover {color:#F2C72A;
  5. text-decoration:none;
  6. border-bottom:2px solid #9DA265}

If you like anything else there, here's my stylesheet: http://conorific.com/orig/style.css

I dislike the redirect, and it's one of the things I despise about vbulletin; it looks amateur. See if it's possible to move vbulletin to the main directory. Forums are not my thing, you may want to ask someone else around here. :)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

conorific wrote:
I like the gray background. Maybe make your table cells dark red with a lighter red on hover? Look at Ozzu's topics. They are dark gray with a lighter gray on hover. I find that effect very attractive in forums.

I also like the onclick JS handler on Ozzus cells, that extra inch that I <b>don't</b> have to move the mouse makes me quite happy :) In fact, I spend so much time here, when I go to other forums, I tend to click on the cell. Then click again, and again, then I finally realise why it's not working :lol:

Anyway, as for hover effects, I would just go for a colour change, maybe an underline. Anything more would look gratuitous on this design. PS, like your links conorific

The title looks really nice, but, IMHO a fixed-width header over a fluid body is a bit of a design faux pas. It works the other way round. Personally I would put a repeat-x background image behind, that would extend the stripes at the edge of the page. Actually two, one for each side...

Looking at code, move your CSS and JS into external files, it will reduce your bandwidth.

As a minor note I would look at ordering the forums in a logical way if you can, rather than alphabetically.

Other than that, it's a pretty nice site. Good luck to you :)
  • TheNotoriousMogg
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TheNotoriousMogg

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would appreciate if someone had the time to help me do the CSS never done it before.

here is my contact info

AIM: TheNotoriousMogg
MSN: thenotoriousmogg@gci.net

Thank you.
  • MJB3K
  • Born
  • Born
  • MJB3K

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, it aint a bad site, just try and change the colour scheme maybe to a different colour...

apart from that, it works great!!
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

TheNotoriousMogg wrote:
I would appreciate if someone had the time to help me do the CSS never done it before.

here is my contact info

AIM: TheNotoriousMogg
MSN: thenotoriousmogg@gci.net

Thank you.

Personally I would suggest looking at some tutorials. I don't think I could explain the basics of css any better than w3schools:

http://www.w3schools.com/css/

The syntax of CSS is very simple. It's also very easy to impliment the basics, it only gets complicated when you try to do pure CSS layouts. Run throught the tut's then do some googling. If you run into any difficulties post in the design forum.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers