SITE REVIEW: Portfolio Site

• RonJr
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • RonJr
  • Loc: Louisville Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd like to see what you guys think of my site. It's not finished yet.

http://www.ronnieriggsjr.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• gommer683
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • gommer683

Post 3+ Months Ago

Color schemes look great, I like the backgrounds. Keep us updated as you get more of the pages up.
  • fluffysammy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Isle of wight

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I really like your site as said above, the colours look good together and the layout is really good. All the designs tyou have done are great, well done!
only [problem i have is on your resume you have the phone numbers of referances personally i dont think you should advertise their names and numbers on a site? maybe just write referances details available on request?

great site 10/10
sammy xx
  • RonJr
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • RonJr

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you both.

Sammy you do have a good point. It must have slipped my mind, thanks for pointing that out.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The coloring is awesome. I love the navigation design. Very well laid out. Looks like you have put a lot of thought into it.
  • RonJr
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • RonJr

Post 3+ Months Ago

At first I didn't care for it. I felt like I was too limited on how I could layout the content. But I started to figure thing out. Like for instance, my resume page was like all the others and found it hard to fill the page and still make it look clean. So finally started thinking and decided to link the resume tab straight to the pdf file instead of going to the page and click another link.

Right now I'm havin trouble figuring out how lay out the info page. I don't want the text to span across the the whole area cause it tends to lose readers. I need some ideas to make it some what like the home page.

Thanks for everyones reply's. Much appreciated
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

RonJr, I like the site, well put together, but I think the only thing that kind of bugs me is the resume page, as you said "you found it hard to fill the page and still make it look clean." Well I thinkg that it doesnt fit (it opens in as a pdf file), though I can see the purpose of it being there...

A suggestion I would try and find a way to upload the resume inside where you normaly have your text, then maybe underneathe, have say something like this:

"If you would like a copy click (here)"

only reason I say this is might look neater.. or you could just make the like open in a new window.

_ sycofi5h
  • RonJr
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • RonJr

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know what your saying but I think I'll just leave it like that for know.

I usaully don't care for web sites that have links like that, where it takes you somewhere else that does not not look like the original site. Having said that,....lol... I'm bout to do that with my blog. I would take the blog tab off but I can't find the psd file. So I'm just gonna get a different domain and link it to that unless I can find I different route. So if anybody has any suggestions on that then please let me here them.
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK well sounds good it was just a personal option that is all..

good luck
  • RonJr
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • RonJr

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know, it is something I will try and change and I'm glad someone informed me about it. I've had this site up for about 3 months and I'm slowly getting everything together. I've tried this and that to see what fits best.

I was wondering though, should I put the blog on my site or would it be ok if I linked the tab to a different domain? The only reason I'm thinking about linking to a different domain is because I think that I would not have room on my page to use this with out adding a frame inside the main area. To me frames are a very bad idea for any site. I dont know how blogs really work or how I could use them other than the obvious reason so if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h

Post 3+ Months Ago

well It is a Portfolio site, so for me it should show:
- Name (welcome)
- Things your have done of some sort (your designs)
- contact
- blog

those arelike the 4 main things that you need.. You have seemed to cover them all, very well. so your idea of having your blog linked off to a different domain just wouldnt work..

I used to have a blog website. very easy just write in logs or if you will Updates of your life, or how far you are in your current designs. Do you understand what I am saying.

and to answer your question about how you would fit your blog that is the easiest thing there is to fix.. If I am not mistakin you used photoshop to create and slice your website?
that is how I make my websites it is easy simply just use a
Code: [ Select ]
<div> tag

where you have your main background image add it in there like this:
Code: [ Select ]
<TD background="images/Main-Content-Box.jpg" WIDTH=771 HEIGHT=543>
<div style="overflow:auto; width:765; height:535"; border-style:none; padding: ?px;">

<p>
ADD YOUR BLOG HERE
</p>

</div>
</td>
  1. <TD background="images/Main-Content-Box.jpg" WIDTH=771 HEIGHT=543>
  2. <div style="overflow:auto; width:765; height:535"; border-style:none; padding: ?px;">
  3. ..
  4. <p>
  5. ADD YOUR BLOG HERE
  6. </p>
  7. ..
  8. </div>
  9. </td>
  • RonJr
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • RonJr

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is that how you scroll the text up and down with out having to use a frame. If it is then that would be perfect.
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes it is It works like a charm... basicly it like puts an invisible table around the text and makes it scroll when there is too much text. and you can adjust this table or "div" tag, to the height and width that you want it to be.
  • ablaye
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ablaye

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, You are from Louisville, KY! I am a graduate of University of Louisville Speed Scientific School and lived there for 6 years. I moved after I graduated. I miss Louisville so much!

Anyway, now let's get to the topic of this thread. First, I would NEVER put my email address like that on a website. This is asking for spam.

Site looks really nice.
  • lobbr
  • lobbr

Post 3+ Months Ago

I definitely like the color and the layout of the site. It is very easy on the eyes.
  • RonJr
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • RonJr

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know I usaully don't do that but I haven't had any spam or any thing.....luckily...I've got a guy thats working on the script for the email...he's my jui-jitsu teacher, so hopefully it won't be like that too much longer.
  • alexmos
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Europe, RO

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it looks prety nice... but lots of work ahead...
  • zaccary
  • zaccary
  • Loc: Somewhere in the Biosphere

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good looking site. i tried the other links and they get a 404 not found.

too bad because this looks like a good personal site.
  • nickthrolson
  • nickthrolson
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

sweet like the site also the colors work for me mabey some other people wont like the brown but i do good job needs more content to the home page but good job bro
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the site! Good job, I love the background effects! Well done on a awesome site.

I would like to ask though, is it possible to center the whole page, I am getting annoying empty spaces on the right hand side like I do on most sites.
  • roje0913
  • Student
  • Student
  • roje0913

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks nice to me, i agree with the previous post about the colors as well.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's a 404
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got a "not found" error on three attempts to view the page.
  • tylerdurden
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I honestly can't believe all the positive feedback this site review has received. Not to be mean, but the design is poor and the coding is atrocious. Frankly anyone who has praised this site either

a) has no idea what standards compliant web design is

or

b) is just being nice
  • x-013
  • x-013
  • Loc: Reno

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's clean but less design work.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

It doesn't even display a document type for validation...that with the 20+ errors would bear out that part of your statement.

I think the validation errors should be addressed first, before tackling the appearance issues.
  • nyte3k
  • nyte3k

Post 3+ Months Ago

very clean and simple...good job man, i would have had a brighter look though...less mono

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers