SITE REVIEW: My Portfolio V2

• soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is the second version of my portfolio which is not 100% complete but I'd like to know what everyone thinks cuz I normally get interesting comments. So If i'm gonna make changes don't want it to be when i'm fully complete. Hope i don't have to do much changing tho. :lol:

Here's the link:
http://dmportfolio.d2networx.com/portfolio.php
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bobbo171
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Bobbo171

Post 3+ Months Ago

its nice, I like the background and sorta simplistic look to it some of the links dont work, but you said it wasnt 100% done yet, so I assume you know about that. One thing that im going to suggest is that you use the same font in the navigation that is used for "dmportfolio" above it, or vice versa, so make it look more uniform.

Overall
7/10
:D
  • eggs-in-wisconsin
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Loaded Fast.
Simple, but with enough grapgics to dress it up nicely.
Clean site.
Good navigation continuity
I clicked the Portfolio link first, just to take a look.
Guess it's not done yet, though I see the direction you're going with it.
I wouldn't make your user have to drill too far into the site to find the Artworks, and website pages.
May I suggest a drop down menu, so your user can go directly to the pages they are looking for.
I would do the same for the tutorial pages.
The fewer clicks it takes the user to get to a selected page the better.

Nice feel to the site.
Likes it.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good colors, nice layout, very crisp and clear. I think the first thing I would recommend is putting some rollover effects on your menu selections. It seems plain the way you have it now, its not entirely bad, but if you're up to it, it would be a nice addition.

In the news section, it would be nice if you made the vertical scrollbar visible in that blog section you have. You dont have much content now, but when you have to start scrolling down a long way, it would be nice just to have that scrollbar to drag up and down.

Your featured art and featured template look cool, but you cant click on them to maximize it! I dont know whether thats on purpose, but it would be nice if the user could maximize those pics to get a better view.

I dont know if the rest of your site is done, a few links dont work. The other pages could use a footer, so you have a nice finish. You could also do with a nice about section that explains what you do, your history, etc... But I like the site and the portfolio. Good job.
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

3 very interesting replies all tellin me how i can improve I love that. Well I'm probably gonna take most of your thoughts into consideration but the one suggesting the rollovers is goin to come later...like after a month after it's completion...u know when i'm bored...i'll do the nix nax cuz right now i got other work to do i'm just stealing the holiday time to do this.

Yes my history will be up soon should be up by tonite as well as some testimonals.

One thing i don't get...."a footer" how so, how come? I mean it's not designed to have a footer but could u tell me where exactly u had in mine it would go? thanks.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

soulseek3r wrote:
One thing i don't get...."a footer" how so, how come? I mean it's not designed to have a footer but could u tell me where exactly u had in mine it would go? thanks.

Exactly what you have on your porfolio page (Site Map | Downloads | Awards | Copyright 2005), also toss in a link to the homepage. When I was looking at your tutorial page and templates, it just didnt have a good finish to it. Just thought that if you put in something similar to what you have on your porfolio footer, it would give it a cleaner look at the bottom.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

dude. the colors are great!
I cant see how a footer will fit in yr home page tho..
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

well...i get the what u mean with the footers.
  • northjersey78-2
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • northjersey78-2
  • Loc: North Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

soulseek3r wrote:
This is the second version of my portfolio which is not 100% complete but I'd like to know what everyone thinks cuz I normally get interesting comments. So If i'm gonna make changes don't want it to be when i'm fully complete. Hope i don't have to do much changing tho. :lol:

Here's the link:
http://dmportfolio.d2networx.com/portfolio.php

Good, clean site. Maybe it's just my settings, but I had a lot of empty space on either side of the graphics. Looks like a lot still to be updated but so far it looks pretty good.
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm...umm empty space...i guess you're talking outside the frame...well outsite the frame is pretty much the bg and inside the frame is pretty much the site...u see it's my portfolio...not much info and since i'm into gfx i tried making something of that nature but yet simple and so far from everyone's comment i accomplished thatl. So no it's not your settings. lol Thanks for all comments.
  • Meloware
  • Meloware
  • Loc: Greenfield MA USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks good in both 1024x768, as well as 800x600.

There is no 'eye grabber' to tell the viewer just what the site is all about.

Dead Links:
/about.php
/downloads.php
/map.php
http://dmportfolio.d2networx.com/copyright

I began clicking around, and discovered that I didn't know how to get back to your home page. I finally discovered that the 'dmportfolio' at the top was a link to home. I believe that all major navagation points in a site need to be obvious on every page. Perhaps a 'home' tab in your navagation bar would be better.

The site demonstrates some artistic skill, that I wished I had. It's a very nice combination of color, and the pages still load well with my horribly slow internet connection.

When I visit a site, I want to know instantly what its all about. The first few moments is the window of decision I use to decide if I stay or go. If a site pushes an invitation in my face for some content I am looking for (which I am particularly looking for), I will stay, otherwise, I am gone. I might suggest that if you are trying to put up a site, which showcases your abilities, then concentrate on the content you are good at, first. Put together some good usable content about your favorite subjects, then lead people to the fact that you are available for these services.

Oh, I looked at the source code for the page. You almost ignored your HTML header! All you have is the title, and http-equiv. Your not offering much to the search engines. At least get a description tag, and keyword list in there. Do some reading on how to use meta tags!

Anyhow, There is a lot going right with the design. It's very attractive.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all, it would be nice to have some hover buttons so I know that the buttons are in fact buttons.

I would get a professionally done photo for use on the site so that you look, well, more professional.

I get a Virtual Directory Listing Denied error when I try to view your website portfolio.
  • piksites
  • piksites

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's really beautiful to look at. The only thing I would say is that you should increase the logo's size. It's a bit small, and gets noticed after the rest of the site.
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok this part of reply is to "Meloware"
the dead link i'm working on that's why i mentioned not 100% complete.
the navigation is clear i just made to logo a link back for some smart person to figure out. (congrats...lol) there's now links at the bottom of every page to link back to the home page.
"Eyegrabber" hmmm, showcasing what i do...so are you saying that the featured art and featured template doesn't even hint of what i do?
The meta tags i know about again...not 100% complete.

This part is to "Truce"
Seriously u didn't know that the buttons at the top was my navigation? damn...don't know if it's me that needs help or u. But i do agree about the rollover for enhancements to the site. I'd much prefer that reason...but dont say u didn't see that was the navigation.

The portfolio page is up for long now so don't know how u got that.

Thanks for comments guys
Meloware u pointed alot out to me, thanks.
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

My only gripe would be the navigation buttons. The font doesn't really seem to fit with the rest of the site, and it's a bit too soft.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

You added the footer! Your site comes off a lot better now in terms of navigation and it just plain look professional. :D
  • Bobbo171
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Bobbo171

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yikes! I just noticed that your site has some gaps in it in Firefox, you may wanna fix those
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you so much for pointing that out...I forgot to check browser compatability...i've been forgeting it alot lately.
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok...now i really don't know what's firefox and mozilla's problem...they tables are still shifted in them even tho all the codes are validated and i did everything i can think of. If someone can help me please...let me know. Thanks
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahh...not to worry i got it solved after all.
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the website it is small and easy to read
the colors go together
i like wat u have done with the little invisble scroll bar
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks..received 3 awards for site design. :)
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

for those who haven't seen please check it out now and i've even updated a bit with new categories.

Thing is i got 9 awards for site design...way cool :)
basically i'm bored cuz i'm haning around ozzu hoping someone would help me in the php post i made..lol

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers