SITE REVIEW: Portfolio website: WhenImNotSleeping.com

• expat
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • expat

Post 3+ Months Ago

the site is loaded, ever tried to load a myspace profile with wireless?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rhwebs
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • rhwebs

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like your site. You are obviously a talented graphic artist. I also like that you didn't overuse flash. One comment I have is that there is not enough contrast between the font color and the background color.
This makes your text difficult to read. I'm sure it is better on some monitors than others....There is a contrast checker on the web that you can use to check your contrast. Here is the link:

http://www.snook.ca/technical/colour_co ... olour.html

If you plug in the values 655541 for the foreground color and 1b0c07 for the background color you get a brightness difference of 71.5 and what you really want is more like a value of 125. I used firebug to change your text color to #816036 and found it much easier to read. The brightest value is still only 85, but I think it looks fine with this color combination.

One other thing I like about your site is that you sized it for 1024x768. I am trying to get away from sizing my sites for 800x600, especially where maximum real estate is needed.

Good job!

Rick
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Rick thanks for that link. Thats a cool tool and I'm sure it will get a lot of use from me in the future. I've been struggling with the contrast thing. I use a mac cinima display and the gamma on those is a bit higher. Makes everything look nice, but it means I don't have a very good idea how it looks to everyone else.

[Edit] Made a few changes, is that better?
  • harrybear
  • harrybear

Post 3+ Months Ago

honestly this is a bad ass site
good job
the only thing i would say is if this is more
of a site where you want to look classy and professional
use different colors
These colors give me the vibe that this person drives a mustang
and thinks he's the *plum*
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

harrybear wrote:
good job
use different colors

LOL!
  • expat
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • expat

Post 3+ Months Ago

harrybear wrote:
good job
use different colors

Maybe you should read his reviews to verify for yaself ;)

At least he seems to know more than the zaiah dude hahaha
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

expat wrote:
At least he seems to know more than the zaiah dude hahaha

Come on. This is suppose to be an area for reviews not personal insults. Let's keep it classy and professional.
  • rhwebs
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • rhwebs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bryce,

Looks awesome with the new color scheme! On my mac with my 22" Samsung LCD It is a little on the bright side, but on my Vista laptop with a very bright LCD and my XP laptop hooked up to a darker monitor it looks incredible. You're never going to be able to make a site look perfect on all monitors/platforms. That being said, I think you really nailed it with this color combination! It's a very laid back/artsy design, something I would like to get better at.

Rick
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Rick thanks for checking it in so many places. It was one of those things where I started with a few colors and didn't really think legibility was an issue (since it looked great on my machine), but then I put the site out for review and everyone was pointing out the text color issues so I figured that was a big enough issue it was worth a change. Even if it won't look the same for everyone, it should at least be legible on 99% of viewers screens. One of those times where design and usability are at odds and I have to let usability trump my vision :-)
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all something happened with the update to FF3 and Chrome that caused my site to completely blow up. I think I've gotten it fixed but a few tests would be really wonderful. Site url http://www.whenimnotsleeping.com

I would specifically like tests in FF3 and Chrome, but let me know if you find bugs in other browsers as well.
  • chris kerr
  • chris kerr

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like it
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't notice any "bugs" per se, but have always meant to tell you that dim burnt orange in the titles and links on black is really hard to see. At least it is for me. I'm nearsighted and wear bifocal contacts, and it takes a lot of effort to clearly focus on your text. Then I go to "learningisfun" and it's like you aimed a spotlight in my face. That sudden contrast shift really messes with my eyes. I Checked in FF 3.0.6. Didn't look in Chrome. Everything seemed fine in FF
  • Andrei
  • Born
  • Born
  • Andrei

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site is simple and good, but very dark.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I didn't notice any "bugs" per se, but have always meant to tell you that dim burnt orange in the titles and links on black is really hard to see.

Thanks. you'd have noticed the "bugs" in both cases the entire site looked like IE6 png's without a fix. It was kind of a blue hazy mess. As for the color I think the site needs a revamp. Its almost a year old and the colors have been an issue from the get go, but man I hate that part of the process for my own stuff (balancing the colors I like against legibility and what offsets the work). That said I can see where your coming from with the all dark site to the all light site.
  • chris kerr
  • chris kerr

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the idea of something really striking in the top left corner, something different to the rest of the site.

could you have a bold bright logo? this could then be reflected in the links. A bit more brightness would go down a treat i think, and would make the site really eye catching.

chris

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 45 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers