SITE REVIEW: DF Pranks

• Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Flordia

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://DFpranks.com

I have been working on this site for a little while. Any comments suggestions or criticism would be great. Thanks
  • desertland
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • desertland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Every time I click on a link it says "No input file specified." (and thats' the only thing on the page)
  • dojo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Timisoara, Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

don't use times new roman, put the google ads closer to the main layout .. not bad ;)
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for your advise, I put the ads closer to the main content, and where did I use times new roman?
  • sevster
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with dojo...times new roman should not be used on the web. You used it where it says "Welcome to DF Pranks.com! The collection of user submitted pranks" etc...

also think about modifying your nav-bar's color scheme, including font, background and icons. -- too childish for my taste.
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

sevster wrote:
also think about modifying your nav-bar's color scheme, including font, background and icons. -- too childish for my taste.

Any suggestions on someting "less childish"? should i still use images or not? Thank you for your time
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Use arial. That will greatly improve the look of the front page.

I also suggest improving the menu. It looks ok but I cannot easily tell where one option ends and another begins. Perhaps an animation when you move over them or a slight gap between them might help with that.

You have a menu at the top. I did not notice until I was looking to see where your links section was(you offered a link exchange). I think that menu should be copied to the left below 'Submit a Prank'.

I looked at the pranks and cannot see any of them. I dont know if this is my computer or you haven't programmed that yet. I will try again at home. Now its not working at all so you must be fixing something.
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Azoundria wrote:
I looked at the pranks and cannot see any of them. I dont know if this is my computer or you haven't programmed that yet. I will try again at home. Now its not working at all so you must be fixing something.

Yea I messed up on a line of code. 'All Pranks' works but the others didn't, I fixed it and now they all work, Thanks for pointing that out.

Could someone please check it out on some windows browers, cause I use mac, and it looks bad on IE for mac, but in my opinion its a dead browser anyways, so could some one tell me what it looks like in IE for windows, Thanks.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im not sure what look your going for but it looks pretty good on Firefox and ok on IE. Would you like to see a screenshot of it?
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes please, because i want the image to be on the right of the text and on some browsers it is not this way. Thanks
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, this is what your page looks like in IE(left) and Firefox(Right).

• Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before was the text under the pic? I have been having ALOT of trouble with IE for mac. I also looked at IE for PC and it was messed up.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

What text under which image?
  • S A V A G E
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

at first view of the site i was irritated. the gradient navigation bar turned me off along with the icons and over use of tables. however, the information on the site wasnt half bad, but there wasnt enough of it. just work on those things and it will be a good looking site.
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

S A V A G E wrote:
... along with the icons and over use of tables.

Thank you for your reply, i will work on the nav bar, and by the way i don't use tables, its all css
  • Nebulous
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Nebulous
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

the content on the site is good, as is the layout. One critisim is the navigation, the nav on the top is too plain.. and the left nav's colours are well... bad.

Keep it up.
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have gotten a few replies that people do not like my left nav bar, does any one have any suggestions? I admit that it needs work, but I don't know what would look good. I kinda like the icons, but someone said that they were childish and that is not the look that i am going for. Does any one have any ideas as to what might be a decent nav bar for my site? Thanks for the help
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Suggestions for improving the menu:

Changing the gradient colour would be a big improvement. Change it to be one colour(grey is best) and go between light and dark or that colour.

The icons are kind of nice but keep them a bit smaller. Maintain a bit of space between them and the edge of the menu.

Do not center the text and the icons. Keep the icons left aligned and either left align the text or right align it. I think both would look good.

Keep some space between each menu items so you can tell where one begins and another ends. I suggest a lighter gradient inbetween them.

Continue the gradient past the menu where the text below it is. Put it slightly lighter so that viewers no it is not part of the menu.

Include the menu items from the top in the menu on the left.
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I cange it to gray won't it be too plain
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

A dark grey to a light grey shouldn't look too plain. It will certainly be better than what is there now. Anyways if you do not feel like doing that to your menu yet, work on the other suggestions and get back to it later. Or seek a third opinion on the matter.
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I still can't think of what to do with the nav bars.... I don't just want to change the gradient because it would still not look that great. I want to mabe do flash nav links, any one have any suggestions??

Thanks
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I gave you tons of suggestions. Any one of them would improve your menu. I use a dark to light shade on my site and it looks good but as said, if you dont agree try the other ones.

But try them all and see what looks best. Its up to you to experiment. I wont be designing the menu for you and ive already given you 6 suggestions.
  • xaphalanx
  • xaphalanx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I didn't find anything funny. It's okay. The design could be more uniform/richer.
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Loc: George Mason University

Post 3+ Months Ago

xaphalanx wrote:
Well I didn't find anything funny. It's okay. The design could be more uniform/richer.

Nothing?!?! LOL, well I thought a couple were pretty hilarious. What about the toilet trick and the fill the cubicle trick. I liked those.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im sure they would be more funny when you do them.
  • Mephistox
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Mephistox

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think some of the pranks are weak, but thats not your fault, you just need more people submitting them :)

great site overall, I really like the idea.
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im suprised that no one has submitted the old mouth wash switcharoo......you know, the one where you switch the mouth wash with the nontoxic glass cleaner. So someone takes in a good taste of that nasty crap.
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then why don't you submit it :D
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2

Post 3+ Months Ago