SITE REVIEW: Pro Webmaker web design

• Rod_Snyder
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Overland Park, Kansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I hope I followed the rules, and gave 3 considerate, thought out criticisms on other sites. I thought they were coming along pretty good.

I just started this past summer from not knowing anything about making a website to building a site (95% done). It's kind of difficult to pass myself off as a "web designer" as advertised in my site, when there are so many great experienced web designers, already well established. I tried to take an original approach, and have fun building the site, and make it a fun site to visit as well.

Please surf through my website and let me know what you think.

www.prowebmaker.com

Thanks,

Rod
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• antonyx
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • antonyx
  • Loc: London UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

i always prefer black text on white bg.. but it can be pulled off with care..

the drop down menu disappears when you roll down it..

going back to the black background (:} sorry) it just seems that the website is amateur.. dont get me wrong.. you know what you are doing.. but when i see white text on black it makes me think of amateur design.. im sorry

i think that if you wanna seriously get some web design going online.. you need to have a more sleak design..eg.. is it necessary to have 2 menus?

also when i saw the flash banner at the top of the page.. i was expecting something a bit more spectacular.. you know.. you see all these mad flash banners on other sites..if your flash skills are limited at the moment, maybe you should not put it right in everyones face at first..

maybe design a nice logo.. an identity.. and let them go look at your flash banners if they want to.

one last thing.. i think the buttons on the right hand side.. being different colours..etc.. they look like advertisements.. if they are legitimate sections of your page keep them similar looking..

sorry to be so negative

Quote:
We've included this video section for 2 reasons.
First, everyone needs a few laughs, so just sit a spell, and enjoy the movies. Second, we wanted
to demonstrate that we can embed wmv, mpg, and avi videos right smack dab into your web page

again.. i think you should expect your visitors to know that videos can be placed inside websites fairly easily.. using that as a selling point doesnt impress me..

your cartoons are quite funny.. i think you should show them off a bit more.. perhaps a little cartoon on the homepage.. positioned in a neat structured way..

by the way.. i wrote these comments without looking at any other comments..

lastly.. fun is good.. im glad you enjoyed messing about with all this multimedia.. it is a good laugh.. but if you are serious about getting people to pay you to make their websites.. you need a more professional approach.. you are still learning though.. keep up the good work.
  • Rod_Snyder
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the well thought out comments Antonyx. I made a couple of quick changes on the video page to reflect your suggestions. True, the top flash header was a quick creation, and haven't found the time, energy, and motivation to work on that. I have an even worse flash header on my new web forum, (but I did figure out how to embed the swf file into the phpBB overall_header.tpl)
  • Rod_Snyder
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, it takes awhile to make suggested changes. Today I changed the flash header on my website to an applet. Any comments:)
  • jigarmehtamscit
  • Born
  • Born
  • jigarmehtamscit

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do something on the fonts and design man..

It seemed to me like an old style website, dont take it wrong but right now, the sites should be fancy (no black background plese!)

I liked that car accident video :-)
  • karinca
  • Student
  • Student
  • karinca

Post 3+ Months Ago

your water effect is nice but i dont like the text in the header! "welcome to the website..." it looks unsweet for me! and i dont like the green light! and the last thing is; would you remove the shadow effects on buttons or boxes! good start!

good luck!
  • Rod_Snyder
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know what you mean my shadow effects, can you please explain that to me?

Thanks
  • karinca
  • Student
  • Student
  • karinca

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rod_Snyder wrote:
I don't know what you mean my shadow effects, can you please explain that to me?

Thanks

which program do you use to create the horizantal navigation menu!
there is a shadow effect on this buttons!
  • Rod_Snyder
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I use photoshop and paint to make my button images. It was intentional to have a "gradient fade" to look 3D, and a gradient underneath the menu to appear as a shadow.

Those buttons are just background images with CSS controled hyperlink text on top. The text goes from "normal" to "bold" when mouse rolls over it.

I'm not sure if that's what you mean. I didn't use any "on this blur" js with the anchor tags.

I'm working on some slightly different lake style applet software right now that alliows me to overlay an image, then I'll dump the scrolling text

I'm also planning to get rid of the drop down menu on the right, but I'll have to add some more horizontal buttons to make room for expansion

Thanks
  • karinca
  • Student
  • Student
  • karinca

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rod_Snyder wrote:
Well, I use photoshop and paint to make my button images. It was intentional to have a "gradient fade" to look 3D, and a gradient underneath the menu to appear as a shadow.

Those buttons are just background images with CSS controled hyperlink text on top. The text goes from "normal" to "bold" when mouse rolls over it.

I'm not sure if that's what you mean. I didn't use any "on this blur" js with the anchor tags.

I'm working on some slightly different lake style applet software right now that alliows me to overlay an image, then I'll dump the scrolling text

I'm also planning to get rid of the drop down menu on the right, but I'll have to add some more horizontal buttons to make room for expansion

Thanks

yes i say the gradient effect! it looks unsweet!
thanks
good luck
  • PromotionBlaster.com
  • PromotionBlaster.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont like reading with a black background,,,,,,,,,,,,but the site looks great.
  • Rod_Snyder
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks P.B.

I've responded to the thought out critisims and have already made some changes. But I also appreciate some positive feedback as well.

I tend to be a more positive person, amidst a sea of negative nannies
  • oppiweb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Flash looks good yes, but is not a good idea when it comes to SEO. Your forum looks fantastic and I hope to see you there regularly! Shalom!
  • Rod_Snyder
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, must be summer in South Africa
  • oppiweb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rod_Snyder wrote:
Thanks, must be summer in South Africa

It sure is..tropical and humid
  • Mintolf
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mintolf

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where's your host service? I can't visit your website.
  • Rod_Snyder
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry about that. I've acquired 3 more domain names and I was probably on my ftp moving files around, and appointing the new domains to their proper directories. GoDaddy will allow you to host multiple domains on one server.

I moved www.prowebmaker.com to a sub directory (as a sub domain) and I'm running www.bigdogmultimedia.com in the root directory, (which as of right now has "mirror files").

I also moved all my videos, flash games, and flash cartoons to my daughter's website at www.kcsoccergirl.com to clear up disk space and bandwidth, and I'm streaming off of her site.

I also found out that the java applet I'm running in my header didn't like to run on different domain names. I don't know why. So I'm running the java applet off of my daughter's site, and displaying it in an "i-frame" on my header. Problem solved.

My web forum has moved to www.bigdogmultimedia.com/forum/ in the root diectory. I also installed a couple more sub directories with http://www.bigdogwebsitedesign.com and http://www.bigdogarcade.com but all I have there are some test html files right now.

You were probably attempting to access my site while all this wild stuff was going on :D
  • dubeeo
  • Born
  • Born
  • dubeeo
  • Loc: Northeast

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with antonyx when it comes to a white background with a black font. I personally have designed websites with a black background before but I believe that the look can be passed off as professional when there is limited text in the background.

I am not much of a fan for scrolling but I acknowlege that it will happen on most content heavy websites. Unfortunately, when I visited the about page I figured there shouldn't be any scrolling when there still was.

I feel that the home page can be simplified with having the video with text saying video, and a cartoon image saying images, and a game clip with game text under it.

Also, you should look into scrolling text since it'll create an easier site experience for the user.

I hope you can use this advice well.

Good luck!
  • Rod_Snyder
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, all the comments motivated me to set up some additional domains for the purpose of redesigning while being able to keep my fun personal site as well. I've began some of the redesign, but will most likely be delayed by Christmas Shopping and other holiday festivities.

I looked at some horizontal and vertical scrolling text script. I agree that could clean things up a bit.

Thanks
  • Angelina1978
  • Born
  • Born
  • Angelina1978

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there,

Double checkk to see all links on your webpage work! The search engines don't like broken links, neither will your visitors.

Also double check to see if all images on your page display properly. One of your image was'nt loaded properly.

Good luck,
Angelina
  • Rod_Snyder
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks

I just ran a site mapping report with auditmypc.com and it all checked out OK.

I seem to have all my images loading every time, even after clearing the temp files from my browser cache.
  • Rod_Snyder
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

PS: I also have some auto rerouting files in folders, for example:

http://www.prowebmaker.com/forum/

(it renders the "back" button obsolete though)
  • walterkilis
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • walterkilis

Post 3+ Months Ago

The font on the buttons should not be used anywhere except a flash game. The colors are inappropriate and unappealing any consumer audience, IMO.

The layout is good thought.
  • AKS44
  • AKS44

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let me first state that not everyone has a great eye for design, site structure, proper navigation, etc….

But there are some nice elements to the site, such as the games collection and videos.

However,
I am not partial to flash unless done very well as in the case of http://www.vw.com for example.

The content is some what folksy and to personal in my opinion especially for a design studio or for a company that is attempting to sell there services.

Audio on a home page - bad idea…..

Recommendations - Take a look at some design standards, and guidelines for web development.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 24 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers