SITE REVIEW: professional looking website

• PMetalDude41
  • PMetalDude41

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi everyone! I have constructed a website for my band. I took some classes at my high school for webdesign and such. And everytime i re-do it it never looks professional. I can never put my finger on what it is, but somthing is wrong with it. Any tips or anything.?

http://www.prometheusband.tk
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Welcome To, Crazy World!

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate to say this but making things look professional is a gift.. It's hard.. It's so hard that there are classes on it.. I can say that using big green font is not very professional.. Use a lot smaller font.. You need "good" graphics.. Don't use a black background unless you use a lot of grays with it.. Don't use a lot of colors.. Stick with 3 or 4 colors.. I mean colors that complement each other and don't clash.. Use good font.. I can go on and on about what makes a nice GUI.. But, it's all up to the user.. Don't make the site based off what "YOU" think.. It's never about "YOU".. It's about the users that are going to be on your site.. You know Flash a little so that's good.. Work more on that..

One other BIG tip I can give you is to use Templates.. You can get them for free and they can be downloaded..
  • PMetalDude41
  • PMetalDude41

Post 3+ Months Ago

thatnks, i agree big green text isn't very professional. I find some good templates, and see where it goes from there. Again, thanks for the advise.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

woah! thats a lot of bright green! cant say much else I was at my day job and boss was around ;)
  • jonpaul
  • jonpaul
  • Loc: UK soon Lanzarote

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would have a couple of suggestions:

1. You have a pop up on the main page? as soon as Service Pack 2 is installed on XP this will be blocked.

2. I used 2 monitors (1 being on 800x600) as I am a web designer at work, once your intro is finished loading it does nothing? You need to have it auto forward to your main page, also the skip intro I didn't know about until I scrolled down the page.

Also a lot of green there, maybe try some other colours :)

JP
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

the green has got to go... the tone is all wrong and too bright on the black background

the flash is good, but again too big and there could be an improvement on the buttons (add something behind the button, even an invisible graphic, because you have to click on a piece of the text and is a little annoying)

try more graphics, make youself an interface, a nice header and a container for the whole site.
  • phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

heres a few of my own tips to professional design:
1 - Colour Scheme
Just pick one, and use 5 colours maximum (including text colour)

2 - Background
Leave it only one colour that is not too bright ( a part from white)

3 - Font
go for simplicity as opposed to style. I always like the text fairly small. 10-12px Arial or Verdana look great.

theres are lots more tips out there, and there might be somebody who disagrees with my 3 rules.
it is a lot more based upon what 'feel' you want the site to create and who you are targetting.
  • Beren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Beren
  • Loc: Lost in Wilderland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well... to start and make it professional start by hosting your site (no more free hosts, no more popups, banners and *plum*)... gives yoo all the space.
Secondly do not think people cannot read when the font is small... this green color can do... but the size?!? What about some images... a menu that stays all over the site (how do i go back??)
Any way... still like the text (hall of shame ;) just great!!) Cheers keep up the good work... overall fantastic start!! Wonder how the bands music sounds like...
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nucleo wrote:
the green has got to go... the tone is all wrong and too bright on the black background

the flash is good, but again too big and there could be an improvement on the buttons (add something behind the button, even an invisible graphic, because you have to click on a piece of the text and is a little annoying)

try more graphics, make youself an interface, a nice header and a container for the whole site.
this just about raps it all up... cant say much else...
Nucleo wrote:
this is the major thing that NEEDS to be changed. the flash should be changed to smaller, and the font needs to be smaller

poly
  • PMetalDude41
  • PMetalDude41

Post 3+ Months Ago

Beren wrote:
Well... to start and make it professional start by hosting your site (no more free hosts, no more popups, banners and *plum*)... gives yoo all the space.

The only thing is, is that i have no money to spend for hosting, domain, etc. so i kinda have to got with the free stuff.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol. green!
  • PMetalDude41
  • PMetalDude41

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is a question about flash. does anyone know how to do the effect on the the 4th set of text? http://www.adfdesign.com/
I was thinking about using somthing like that for the new intro. Any other ideas for the intro would be appreciated.
  • PMetalDude41
  • PMetalDude41

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, nevermind the last post, i figured it out. Now i have a question. I want to have a scrolling box on my main page that when you click a link it'll load the content in the box, so you can still have all the navigation still there. anyone know what i'm talking about, and how to do it?
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

choose a much smaller fonts, and images, theyre so dam big O.o
  • PMetalDude41
  • PMetalDude41

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was also wondering how the people who made this site got the links to fade to a different color when you mouse over them.
  • Skybin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Skybin
  • Loc: Where the soy and cornfields grow...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Javascript.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

poly wrote:
Nucleo wrote:

this just about raps it all up... cant say much else...
Nucleo wrote:
this is the major thing that NEEDS to be changed. the flash should be changed to smaller, and the font needs to be smaller

poly

I dont think your listening THE GREEN HAS TO GO!!!! lol also you should make it a multipage navigation at the top.

poly
  • PMetalDude41
  • PMetalDude41

Post 3+ Months Ago

poly wrote:

I dont think your listening THE GREEN HAS TO GO!!!! lol also you should make it a multipage navigation at the top.

poly

i working on it now, it'll probably be up next week.
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Welcome To, Crazy World!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everyone's really stressing on the green eh? heh heh heh heh..
  • TerraByte
  • Born
  • Born
  • TerraByte

Post 3+ Months Ago

the disign of this site is not great
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

TerraByte wrote:
the disign of this site is not great

great observation... maybe you should read posts above yours to make sure your not stating the obvious...

poly
  • AHaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol poly
  • grover
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • grover

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is for a band after all.....if the font was smaller i think it would be ok...

i can buy mugs, tshirts, etc but not your music???

some of the links don't work - when you click HOME on the bios page it doesn't take you back there...
  • PMetalDude41
  • PMetalDude41

Post 3+ Months Ago

grover wrote:
ii can buy mugs, tshirts, etc but not your music???

we don't have the right technology to record anything good. We're too poor.
  • Roxy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with everyone else there is way too much green and everthing is very large, and pop ups are annoying for any site :) There is something funky about the menu bar i have to roll over it a few times before it is clickable.

Roxy
  • Hacker007
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

they used this script:

http://www.ozzu.com/fader.js
  • tempodesign
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tempodesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

too dark ..too black adn text are white i really don't like this combination.i'm wondering what a user with 800 x 600 resolution think ?
  • canadianguy33
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • canadianguy33

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well although the little animation you have as an intro is kind of neat it serves no real purpose so I'd drop it. Also, without reading I would've never known that was a bands site. How about adding a picture of the band on the homepage.

Overall i think it is well organised and informative but it lacks that sexy, slick look that will sell your band.
  • Indulge
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Indulge
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks pretty good to me.
But I think for a BAND, it could be a little more playful...
Seems so dry ...
My favourite Band-Site is this:
http://www.johnqpublic.de/
Too bad, I didn't make it :-(
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The main thing I dislike is the banner - it looks a bit to Geocities-like, and for some reason, I dislike it. :(

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 30 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers