SITE REVIEW: Programming Designs

• programming-designs
  • Born
  • Born
  • programming-designs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, I've recently started a website (in September), and am looking for constructive criticism and feedback on how I can improve the design (look and feel) to receive my target audience of visitors. My target audience is other webmasters and programmers as well as people looking for web/programming services.

My website url is http://programming-designs.com - Hope to get some good feedback from you guys =)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ltjman22
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ltjman22

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the look and feel of your homepage. You definently have a unique design imo. My I suggest adding some color to your homepage, maybe more of the blue like you have at the top. Overall though, it's good, if I was in your target audience I would definently visit you. Good luck.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site has a cookie-cutter feeling that makes the design seem entirely uncreative. Things like the long, sweeping exposure effect in the upper banner, the vertical gradient menu headings, and much worse, the handshake photo, are all clichés. There's nothing wrong with clichés, but they're not 'fresh' or 'innovative' (to borrow from your tagline).

The main problem with your site is that it looks like an advertisement, not a place of business.

A main flaw of your website is the content. It makes a large number of claims without being able to back them up well. Also, some of them are just incorrect or signs of cluelessness. Here are some particular examples.

Quote:
Even though many websites appear to look great, the coding behind it can cause many problems. Some problems include:
Pages will not render properly depending on the browser

For example, your site is rendering incorrectly in my browser, Opera.

Quote:
Our current website is W3C Validated for HTML 4.01 as you can see on the lower left side of our website.

This is not true; your site validates as XHTML 1.1. (This mistake is not very representative of what I feel are the main problems, but it might as well be fixed.)

Quote:
programming languages including Visual Basic, Java, C++, html, php, asp

The last time I checked, HTML is not a programming language. ASP isn't either, but you might get away with that one. Also, you have some errors with capitalization.

Quote:
You can validate it yourself for assurance of our quality coding.

This is another dubious claim. Especially when you set your font size in pixels, which is a cardinal sin.

There are too many grammar errors to point out, and some are glaring, such as one you're/your mixup on page Adspace.

Another problem with the site is that it uses vaguespeak. This a word I just invented for this website review. Much of the language on your site uses vague terms, that don't provide very much information. For starters, your first sentence is, "We are a team of trained individuals prominent in the principals of logical analysis and unique design to provide you the solutions you need." Does this even mean anything? What "training" did you undergo? What in the world does "prominent in the principals of logical analysis" mean? You might as well write, "quashed in the exuberance of upholstery." It is as if the writer tried to fit as many SAT words in a square inch as he or she could; the sentences simply don't make sense. Another example of vaguespeak would be "tons of space." And why do you have the word 'webfeed' marked up as an acronym for "Headline Information Source"? Also, what is a "Miscellaneous Application"?

For the reasons above, and maybe several other reasons I can't quantify, I got the impression that the site reeks of stupidity. The most important thing you can improve is the writing quality, the correctness of your information, and the reasonableness of your claims.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Exactly.

In addition, in that context, it's "principles," not "principals." Also, did you mean to use "proficient" instead of "prominent" in the same sentence?
  • pimpmasta
  • Student
  • Student
  • pimpmasta

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it.

It reminds me a bit of an invision power board theme... which isn't necessarily bad, just not exactly original either.

Other than that it looks very professional and formal. Which a programming site should look like.
  • baggiho
  • baggiho

Post 3+ Months Ago

programming-designs wrote:
Hello, I've recently started a website (in September), and am looking for constructive criticism and feedback on how I can improve the design (look and feel) to receive my target audience of visitors. My target audience is other webmasters and programmers as well as people looking for web/programming services.

My website url is http://programming-designs.com - Hope to get some good feedback from you guys =)

Wow, I like your organization of your website. Very neat. :o You use enough pictures, which I am very impress. Other website uses so many pictures to attract viewers, but you have used the right amount of images to get audience's attention. :D IMO, your website is perfect. I think you should leave it the way it is for now, until you have figure out new ideas to your website and share your website with us. Best of luck! :D Happy New Year!

Cheers, Baggiho
  • mdancy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mdancy
  • Loc: hong kong

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
Your site needs some work but mainly in the copy. If you are marketing to English speaking people, you must fix the text. Anyone reading your text (whether discerning or not) will not understand what you do.

I'd suggest reducing the copy by 50%. Edit out extraneous words, especially the bloated self description. If you have a client base willing to give you quoted recommendations, then use those instead.

Move your services description to the top so everyone knows at a glance what you do.

For a quick fix, find someone to help you write the copy. As the professionals you claim to be, you should understand the importance of clear, concise, professionally written copy.

Do it! It will bring you more clients!

Good luck,
mdancy
http://www.tonydancy.com
  • Spoorzoeker
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh my god, the eye-catching mistake, which says: I'm an amateur:
Adverts on your website. Aargh!. :?

If you want to be taken serious, pay for a webserver and remove those adverts.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers