SITE REVIEW: Public Library

• AKS44
  • AKS44

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you in advance to all who contribute, for better or for worse.

A little information: This is a custom Module based Content Management System built using VB.NET with a SQL backend. Some of the tools include a custom Blog, RSS feeds, custom events Calendar, rotating home page Ad, random image on home page, News and News release module, and much more.... And no I am not selling a Car....

Web site: http://www.piercecountylibrary.org/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mediatitan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mediatitan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the way the design is compact, but not cluttered... even though there is a lot to do - its still clean and easy to navigate.

Colors... easy on the eyes and still contrast well.

Okay - I've made it to the library catalog. I guess this is your database. Probably your biggest accomplishment for this site - I'm sure that took a while. The only thing is that it looks like a different site. I thought I left the site when I clicked catalog. You probably need it to be a larger format to be able to view the database, but maybe if the color scheme stayed the same it wouldn't matter. Just a thought.

Tim
  • lorddarkness
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lorddarkness

Post 3+ Months Ago

good colors. easy navigation. i think it seems user friendly website.
but you must change sub pages.
  • STeeLRaT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: somewhere

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ooomgggggg you made that yourself? This really looks professional. The colors fit eachother, and the website is good to navigate. However, I don't like it how the template changes when you get on another page. The kids page looks stupid, actually.
  • absolutes
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, unfortunately, I can't find enough to suggest to make this a substantive review (darn you for wasting my time with a good site, lol) so I'll just say a couple of things:

Looks great, easy nav, found everything I looked for when I imagined I was a "real" visitor to the site, even a sitemap, good on ya.

dito, prev reviewers, I actually assumed you did not do the catologue (since it says "powered by [something or other]" and has a different look. I can't imagine you built that page and gave it such a different look, everything else is so well put together.

You did not give yourself any credit for the build as far as I could see. I also don't see any copyright notices, even on the blogs.
  • rajanmr
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site is a boon to your visitor's eyes.

Excellent design with mind reading colors.

I hope if you provide good search engine in your home page for your catalog.

Home page is really good but other pages lack color contrast and structuring. If you could provide your whole site in the same format as your home page it would give high class uniformity
  • AKS44
  • AKS44

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Everyone....

Thank you all for the feedback, the Web site rebuild was a long and tedious process spanning the better part of a year.

To address a couple of your comments,

The catalog as “absolutes and mediatitan” mentioned is a vendor application by Polaris, which is used by many public library systems around the world, and yes, it is a harsh contrast between the public Web site and the catalog. We are making efforts in our new catalog system which will be launched within the next few months that will allow us to skin it with our public Web site theme in mind. Thus making it a more fluid transition and more consistent.

Also, there will be a search capability from the public Web site into our catalog in the next upgrade. The previous versions had issues with authentication; therefore we inserted a place holder link on the header of all our pages i.e. "Find Books, Music, Movies and More..." button. That button will be changed to a catalog search box with the next version upgrade.

In regards to the copyright (absolutes) that was an issue that I had been working on, it was originally decided upon by upper administration to leave the copyright statement off our public web site, for reasons that are not worth stating here. However it has now been determined that we should place a copyright in the footer, which has now been added to the site…

Again, thank you all for your comments and Happy New Year......
  • webia
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webia
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the color scheme.
The drop down menu is good, as you have lots of pages and makes navigation easy this way. Good think you did not do any stylish delays when showing/ hiding it`s sub menus.

Also, should not be there some content in the what`s new box ? I can`t see a thing.

What can I say. It is a great website. Good luck with it.

The only thing you should change, is the menu buttons. I`d like to see them Spanish when visualizing your website in Spanish. Not to mention what they fell like :D
  • bumcheo
  • Born
  • Born
  • bumcheo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent design with mind reading colors.

I hope if you provide good search engine in your home page for your catalog
  • seo.webmaster
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • seo.webmaster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fantastic site

AKS44 wrote:
Thank you in advance to all who contribute, for better or for worse.

A little information: This is a custom Module based Content Management System built using VB.NET with a SQL backend. Some of the tools include a custom Blog, RSS feeds, custom events Calendar, rotating home page Ad, random image on home page, News and News release module, and much more.... And no I am not selling a Car....

Web site: http://www.piercecountylibrary.org/
  • d4_o2
  • Student
  • Student
  • d4_o2

Post 3+ Months Ago

very cool site.. nothing bad to say :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers