SITE REVIEW: publisher site

• hankhill
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: On the hill!!! Where else?

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

Please take a look at this site I've done, it's been up for quite a while, but I'd like to know what the community thinks.... Thoughts, suggestions, and yes I know the menu on the left is a bit n00bish, but the site owner really loves it....

http://www.necessaryevilpress.com/indextest.html

Thanks all.[/url]
  • minusme
  • minusme

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi Hank!

I think you're layout is pretty good. I like that it's not 'exactly' like every other site. It has it's own personality. I agree the menu bar to the left is a little noobish. I think the yellow shadow around the links and page header are a bit overdone. I really like the effect you used on the 'necessary evil press' logo on the top left.

The color scheme works well, red & gray look good together..

The headings at top right are probably 2 sizes too big (the ones that change with every page)

Nice job!
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Black and Red is more preferrable , grey doesnt suit it much. Try to adjust the navigation a bit , it looks a bit haphazard. A much better header can be added m to make it look a bit more "spooky". Otherwise layout is unique and site looks good. Best of Luck,
  • yktan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • yktan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with sana that a black background will probably be more suitable for the site, or maybe a deeper grey.
  • Lincolony
  • Lincolony

Post 3+ Months Ago

The layout is not bad. I like the colors too. But the logo sounds too big. You will have more space in the main page if you reduce it a little bit.
  • hankhill
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the input. I'm going to work on a new menu when I can get some time to, and I definitely want to revise the header images as well and shrink the logo. For some reason the owner likes everything HUGE, so I have to fight with him on sizing issues all the time. As for the color, I know what you mean by the black background, but I want to stick with grey though I may darken it a bit as suggested by yktan.

Any other comments out there?

Thanks
  • xatrixx
  • xatrixx
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i looked and i think that it looks great
but still you got to change some minor things
i
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I really like the site - I agree with minusme that it's good that it's not exactly like all the other sites. I think there's a few points that would make a big difference too tho:

The slightly excessive shadowing on the navigation links makes it hard to read them, but you've said you're changing that.

The logo with the writing on looks brilliant, but it's width is eating up valuble space for the content of the site - reduce its size a bit I reckon. I love the evil writing on it - the writing on the navigation/headers could be more gothic / evil, as it looks a bit too much like textbook writing + times new romany to be creepy. Maybe try the Chiller or Chilly Moe fonts.
I think http://www.1001freefonts.com has them.

I think you should definitely make the background darker as mentioned as it's making it more difficult to read the body text of the site. I would make the bloody hand on the right a little larger and fainter too as it interferes with the text it lies behind.

The layout is fine in IE + Firefox, but isn't 800x600 resolution friendly - I'm not sure how much that matters these days though, u might want to ask someone in the website design forum.

I know most of those points have been mentioned, but I reckon they'd make a good difference!

Hope that helps :)
  • hankhill
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the comments monsieur_le_christophe, it helps to get as much feedback as possible to put things into perspective. And also thanks for the link to the font site.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers