SITE REVIEW: Push-Here

• CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Starting from square 1. This is just a jpg and I am looking for feedback on the design, usability, and layout.

Here is the site I am looking to build and I really like having feedback early on. Any feedback is welcome but mainly I am trying to figure out if this is too stark. This would be one of the portfolio pages (granted it would have more then 2 items on it but it gives you the idea). If you want to see what the blog would look like and I get generally good feedback, I will design the blog page as well.
The idea is a minimalist layout that focuses on the work or the content but still shows a good understanding of design even in the minimalism.

Thanks in advance.

• mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh, you really like the small beveled headers dont ya? :)

I definitely like the sites simplicity. Lots of white space which is good. When you get some more pages mocked up post them, I'd like to see them. Not much to comment about on this, looks good.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do like the little headers. I just think that if you dont need a huge image header why take up the space above the fold? k, I will add the blog one hopefully today.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok so here is the blog layout (the first image was the portfolio pages. Don't read the post I had to chop them to show how 2 would look on the page. I still need to iron out whether I want to do full post or just snippets. And how I will display the post meta but here is a general idea of where I am looking.

Thoughts?

• tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the dsign but without the working site its hard to say very much one thing I would do is not let the different boxers join lines but your are not me... go forth and make it ;)
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I am a little worried about it because it is riding the edge of my Wordpress coding level it feels like, but I hope to start cutting it sometime soon.

EDIT: hmmm just had a thought might try a different route for the portfolio
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

k so here is the idea for the new portfolio page. If you click one of the boxes then it will take you to the clients page. which is similar to the second one (its also the original portfolio idea). I will try to get the completed client page up to show the differences. Thoughts?

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it. True to past posts, I find myself drawn to your color schemes. Looking good, keep up the work.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I would suggest purely for marketability, would be to add in the "details" section a short description of why you chose the design you did for each client. Gives potential customers a feeling of security in knowing you do your research and that your designs are targeted to what your clients want.

ie: the client wished to express _________ and target _________. In my final concept I incorporated _______ to establish _______.

Make sense?
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah it does. So kind of include a mini case study with the details. I like it. It also alleviates me from having to do a case study page.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here you go and do it again :thumbsup: You just can't stop succeeding on great looking designs, can't you?

:lol: I'm making it sound like its a bad thing... it's not. Congratulations on yet another great design, coming from the master designer, ;)

From the images, the only thing I can give you a review on is how the site is designed, how it looks, the color scheme and the position of contents. I can't really give you a review on the usability, user-friendlyness or how the functions of the site are such as hovers and things like that.

I think that you've done a good job with the margins and padding between the borders and the actual content, and you certainly got enough white-space around the borders and content... that is good.

All of your pages look like they came from the same site and generally look the same. Like everybody else would say, and as you know, that is a good thing.

I think I support you on the small conservative headers you like so much. Not so much as their position or how they look, I'm talking about making small conservative headers that doesn't really contribute anything towards the content/information part of the site. Although a bigger header might add to the appeal, or the visual aspect of the site's design and layout as well.

At the top, it seems like you got two headers going on... the top, main, beveled header and the gray wordpress header... not saying that it is bad or takes any points from the design... just something I noticed and felt like pointing out.

Have you tried centering the footer? That is my personal thing, I just like headers and footers centered, but I just felt like suggesting that. Maybe something you could try, and then remove if you don't like it.

Also, what's with the little gray boxes underneath the posts in the blog? They don't seem to serve any purpose there... maybe something you feel like adding there in the near future?

I like your profile and your client's page... that really adds to the functionality of the site... the profile and the client's page are also well structured and organized. Good job.

I like the use of dashed lines you've applied to your design there... really makes your site look a little sophisticated (I think that's the word I'm looking for here).

Anyway, good job. I don't really know what else to say at this time. Keep up the good job :D
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Have you tried centering the footer? That is my personal thing, I just like headers and footers centered, but I just felt like suggesting that. Maybe something you could try, and then remove if you don't like it.

Also, what's with the little gray boxes underneath the posts in the blog? They don't seem to serve any purpose there... maybe something you feel like adding there in the near future?

Thanks, I will give the footer some play and see how it comes out. The light gray boxes are spacers (not placeholders) and I am still kinda feeling them out.

Thanks again for all the great feedback.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup. Glad I could be of some help toward the production of your site.

Good job on it.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, one thing I would suggest is lowering the opacity of the dashed lines, make them much lighter ;)
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

k sounds good, I will try and get some roughs with these ideas up this week.
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe you have established a good color scheme. However, I would suggest the same as Nucleo concerning the opacity of the 'dashed line' content separator. If possible you might even try a higher density dashed line pattern as well, I think the few number of large lines takes away from the actual purpose of the element.

Secondly, I am not sure if it is a placeholder but concerning the 'concrete' texture that is behind the iconography of your selected portfolio. If it is a design element that you intend to keep, I would suggest some more diversity, I dislike the idea of consistently using the same textural pattern too often.

And concerning the header(with the 'Push Here' logo), I feel as if it is unnecessarily plain, I typically lean toward 'elegant simplicity' however it think it seems too clean, if that makes sense. Maybe throw in a small caption/motto along side your logo so that it does not simply look like a bland frame. The design seems to demand a more powerful header/logo, and it seems a bit disproportional.

Overall, I think the site looks very professional, and the aforementioned opinions are highly critical as to provide the most insight to yourself so you may/or may not adopt any of the ideas I have mentioned.

Hope that helps, best of luck!
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the great feedback murcielagossi. I was planning to use multiple textures for the backgrounds. Try to do something that fit well with each logo instead of one that went with all, the concrete was just kind of a placeholder. Thanks for letting me know.

I see what you are saying with the header. I will play with some other options and then post them.

Thanks again.
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem CSLink, I am glad it was of some help. :)
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

updated designs. Thoughts? Hope to finish the home page soon.

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

The updated design looks awesome. I especially like the top bar. Congratulations on the smart design. I don't think I have anything against it, but when I think of something, I will most certainly post it here.
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

That looks fantastic. The new header definitely showcases your logo more clearly while still not taking away from the page content. And I like the addition of the 'motto' that you added, I always feel that it adds more professionalism and clarity to the purpose of the site.

I like the changes to the opacity in the dashed-line separators, I feel that they do not conflict with the content, and yet still provide necessary division.

Furthermore, the addition of the rollover to the links at the top right of the header image is great, I am glad you choose to do a shape that is not necessarily a square/rectangle, such simple rollovers become a bit boring after a while, but the 'V' shape adds a good bit of flair.

Well done. I am at a loss to find a problem with any elements. Good job.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all the feedback. I got some feedback from a couple of other folks and am going to make some changes to the blog page and hopefully get the first page up soon. I really want to get the redesign up. Tired of the 4 year old design that looks like the stuff I did 4 years ago.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

this blog template has a few additions from a couple of my friends.

1 ) I added a background color. One of my friends said there was just too much white. If you guys like it I will add it to the other pages and then put them up once I get the Home page done.

2) I did a little redistribution of content on the blog pages. A friend said it looked to much like I was just dumping the feed in a column and not really styling it.

Thoughts?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers