SITE REVIEW: Pushing Through

• Ashes
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: The bosom of Dixie.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, there.

I redesigned my site today, and I was hoping you all would critique it.

http://pushingthrough.com/
  • Pixelghetto
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Liverpool, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks cool. Very quick to load, easily readable. Clean looking.

Get's my vote!
  • noxealia
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Spring, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice. If only I knew how to program :). The colors go well with eachother, and niec selection of fonts.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent logo and i love the font selection. The Colours mix well together. You've also got my vote!
  • dojo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Timisoara, Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Love it. Left a message :)
  • Taylor Hewitt
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haven't seen the old one. But I love the banner, and the lil arrows beside the link are great :).
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Three Facts:

1. It is impossible for me to criticise this site.

2. It's absolutely top-notch, down to the little details.

3. I even love it when images are turned off.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sam Hughes wrote:
Three Facts:

1. It is impossible for me to criticise this site.

2. It's absolutely top-notch, down to the little details.

3. I even love it when images are turned off.

Amen to that. I've never seen such dedication to web validation and if your site is any reflection of you and your work, you've done well. Absolutely no recommendations here, you've covered every aspect of web design to the tee. Keep up the great work.
  • Ashes
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, I don't know what to say.

Thank you all so much. You don't know what that means to me. Seriously, thank you.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think your background outside of your content needs to be lightened up a little. It would make it easier on the eyes.

Nice job!
  • Datagg
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Datagg
  • Loc: AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes looks really good. Loaded in a blink of the eye. Cable here
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I Love It! I will say one thing though. I don't really see the point of making the entire banner link to your home page. You have the Index link always positioned to the left in your nev menu, so it really isn't necessary to link the banner as well. Since you banner is so large (and very well designed btw), it would be easy for someone to click it by mistake when viewing other portions of the site. This could be very frustrating. That said, Great Work! Very well done.
  • ausmeister
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ausmeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Me likes, especially your starfish favicon! :P

And loving the little arrows by the side of your links..

Only thing I can think of is to change the black background to a stripey (sp?) one, and add a one px border around your site..I'm just a fan of this technique, but otherwise no worries (e.g. like this one... http://www.merseysidecharities.co.uk/scottish/ )
  • Ashes
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dubya wrote:
I will say one thing though. I don't really see the point of making the entire banner link to your home page. You have the Index link always positioned to the left in your nev menu, so it really isn't necessary to link the banner as well.

It's there for convenience really. I don't know about you, but I have a tendency to just click the banner of sites to get back to the index. Maybe I'm lazy. :)

But you did bring up a good point about how it could easily be hit by accident. Though, I think how convenient it is out weighs the possible annoyance.

ausmeister wrote:
Only thing I can think of is to change the black background to a stripey (sp?) one, and add a one px border around your site..I'm just a fan of this technique, but otherwise no worries (e.g. like this one... http://www.merseysidecharities.co.uk/scottish/ )

Great suggestions! I added both.

Edit: Actually, now I've added both. Silly thing didn't upload the first time.
  • ausmeister
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ausmeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice!! I like that, and now I can (subtlly) distinguish your site from the background! It's touches like these that are the difference between an average looking site and a professional looking site. Great job! :shock: :D
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site still looks the same to me. I even refreshed the browser thinking it might be cached. Oh well, that's not a bad thing. Also, if you want the logo to be linked, maybe you could put an image map so that just the "Pushing Through" portion of the page would link back. Just a suggestion though. Take it or leave it as you wish.
  • Ashes
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try refreshing a couple times. It took me three times for it to grab the new css.

Though, you might already have the new css and not noticed. It's just a subtle difference on flat screen monitors.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Ashes, I was checking out your site revisions and they look great. I just wanted to toss in a comment on your portfolio section, more of a caution. You've included your address information. If this is your actual address, and unless you're comfortable with posting your address online, I would remove that basically for security/privacy reasons. A lot of weirdo's out there. As my father works in a bank fraud dept. and I've heard horror stories of internet stalkers, I'm always cautious when posting addresses or date of birth information online. I usually use my office address whenever an online "stranger" requests it. Just my rant! :wink:
  • Ashes
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm. I wasn't really concerned that much. Not a lot of reasons for someone to stalk me.

I'll think about getting a PO Box. Thank you for the warning.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just looking into your code a little bit and noticed that.. on your board, you are hiding people's IP's but not in the source. As I think it is important to protect people's privacy, I think that you need to either display a TOS or something somewhere that tells users their IPs are being logged and publicly sent (although hidden) or, (and preferably) you could use very simple php to block it out so that it would only display if you were logged in or, even more simply, it could just require something in the url like ?pass=whateverthepasswordwouldbe
ex:
Code: [ Select ]
<div class="hide">**.***.***.***</div><div>User: Message</div>
  • Ashes
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

The code that makes up the tag board was the first thing I ever coded in php, so it's extremely simplistic.

I've actually been thinking about having it hidden now that I know more. However, I haven't done so, because it'd be a tad difficult now to go back in and change all the tags, so they wouldn't be displayed.

I will add a clause to the T&C about it though.
  • harlequeen
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Wales

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the site, but the banner seems a little deep to me. It takes up about a third of my screen
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I missed it the first time, but you spelt navigation wrong (navAgation)!
  • Ashes
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, geez. I did.

How embarassing. I never noticed.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

harlequeen wrote:
I like the site, but the banner seems a little deep to me. It takes up about a third of my screen

what resolution are you at because I tested it at everything other than 800x600 (which shouldn't be used any more really) and it was fine.
  • twitchyeye
  • twitchyeye

Post 3+ Months Ago

That header is incredible. Good crisp layout.
  • Ashes
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you kindly.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers