SITE REVIEW: PutOkoSvijeta - Around The World

• Nebojsa Stanojevic
  • Loc: Around The World

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi to all,
my name is Nebojsa Stanojevic, I am from Bosnia (ex-Yugoslavia), but lived in South Africa since '92. Currently I am organizer of "Around The World - First Bosnian Sailing Expedition" and sailing around the world while making TV series from this trip that is aired on Bosnian public TV, BHT1. (24 half hour episodes).
I am trying to make website that can cover this project in the best way. I made this site on googlepages, more as example what I would like to have on my site, but to be easy to update and add more things, because I don't have internet access all the time. Please let me know what you think about content and what would be the best way to make it on my server (not google) using flash, but to be able to upload only new content, not all site. I made one site with flash, (http://www.putokosvijeta.ba) but is very unpractical to update easily.
All comments and suggestions are more then welcome.
Current site is http://www.putokosvijeta.com (means:AroundTheWorld)
Thanks in advance
Nebojsa Stanojevic
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the site is too white and the content area is too narrow. Plus I think the layout looks too "bloggish"...is that a word.
  • Nebojsa Stanojevic

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know, but google give you very limited options for layout :(
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am very sad to see a site that is done in frames ... this is not SEO friendly at all ... and this from google aswell ... doesn't make sense to me ?

I agree that it has a very bloggy feel to it, but in this case it almost feels to me like it fits in with the whole concept of the site, it's like you're keeping a diary of what's happening the whole time as the trip goes along ...

Maybe you could invest in a nice banner for the site, the one you have now is nice, but it feels like it needs to be worked on a little more ...

If this is going to be on TV etc, you should receive a little money from it shouldn't you? Why not then just hire a professional developer to create a site for you ... ?
  • Nebojsa Stanojevic

Post 3+ Months Ago

HI,
Thanks for viewing my site and critics. BTW, I also have South African citizenship ( I lived in Joburg and Cape Town since 1992). As I am sailing last 3 years I am bit out of touch with all new features that are available now. I did contract ¨professional¨to make my site ( http://www.putokosvijeta.ba ) in flash, but it was very difficult to keep it up to date. Now ( in Costa Rica ) while I repair my boat, I just use what was the easiest way to make ¨Concept¨of website, but I need some advice on what is the easiest way to update site with limited internet connections, that I usually encounter in countries I visit. I want to keep it simple to navigate and have some features (like current position,news....). Any tip what is the best way to do it. Another question. Is it possible to use what I have at the moment on googlepages site to transfer in some other form that is SEO friendly and not do it from scrap?

Neb
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

A boring site. I'll never return to the site again (not that I do to others that I review. Only some. On rare instances).

The logos aren't bad though.

Good luck with your site.
  • Nebojsa Stanojevic

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Bogey,
I don´t mined any comment, but can you be more specific. Is it boring content of the site or that site is not ¨fancy¨?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for not taking offense for my post. What I caught boring is the look of the site. I guess to me I wouldn't read anything on your site since the site is simply white and too bloggish. I have nothing against blogs, I just thought since your site is a site and not a blog, make it look like a site rather than a blog. Make the design a little more colorful, fix validation errors, put in roll overs, some tweaks and things, more images, icons, lighten up the site, cheer it up, and make it your pride. Personally, I'll fall asleep if I try to read your site, but thats me. Maybe others will to, but I don't know.

Anyway, good luck with the site.
  • Nebojsa Stanojevic

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Bogey,
realy, thank you very much for clearing things for me. You are right, this is not blog ( and not suppose to be ). My other problem is that most of my visitors come from Bosnia, and they are mostly dial-up users (remember dial-up :) so I am trying to have simple site for them, but I would like to have site for users that have broadband. This is the reason why I am looking for some advice from ¨experts¨ how to archive that. I agree that even I would not read all that text, but I had to put it. Text on site is only ¨intro¨ or explanation what is all about, but if you look any video clip, ( that is the most important thing on my site) I really doubt that you will find it boring. For me content is the most important thing, but I would like to make it also attractive looking.
Anyway, thanks a lot for replay and just one more question. What is ¨fix validation errors¨.

regards
Neb
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

About the errors, I think I was thinking about something else.

Add a little color to your site like some color for the left navigation and you can try leaving the right content white or a lighter color than the navigation.

You background may be a little darker than the navigation. I think gray works better with your site.
  • Nebojsa Stanojevic

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for info, but I give up. I check the link on w3c and....
I'll stick with sailing and filming, and leave the site as it is (till I found somebody to take care of all these 199 errors)

Again, thanks a lot for "opening my eyes" about lots of website things.

As thank you, I hope that you will enjoy some of my videos from around the world.

Neb
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

You give up? Thats not really a good thing. I can help you if you really really really need it, but giving up isn't a good thing. Try "transitional" rather than "strict" and see about the errors. Maybe thats the only cause, or that might fix the majority. At least, put in the color like I advised.
  • Nebojsa Stanojevic

Post 3+ Months Ago

HI,
When I say "I give up" I mean I give up of trying to do it my self ( I have so many things to do around the boat and filming, organizing trip and milion things you have to do when you do what I do). Thanks for offering help, but it's not that "urgent" to have "the best site".
So far, it works for me, I just want to improve it, but did not know that will take too much of my time. ( I really do website when I have nothing else to do).
Again, thanks for all the input.

Neb
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem. That whats we here for. To provide input and help :)
  • 2stamlers
  • 2stamlers

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want make your site more flexible, adding a new content very easy, changing "look and feel" (actually only look :), you should try using Content Management System - CMS, and best way to decide which one is to start browsing http://www.opensourcecms.com. I like Joomla best, and it is very easy to install, use, administrate, and you have big online forum if you stuck and need help.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers