SITE REVIEW: QuesLib.com

• Shadows
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Shadows

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a spare time project of mine, I wanted to develop a working search algorithm, I also developed a second relevance algorithm that involves juggling around arrays using a scoring system, hours of fun that was.

Anyway QuesLib hopefully in the future will be a platform for simple answers with little bits of theory but not much since there are bigger and more proven systems like wikipedia for one or mainsteam search engines for another.

My ambition is to have alot of mathematic and scientific facts, something that would be of a valuable use to a student studying astronomy or other sciences for example, this is not to encourage copying but simply providing a easy platform for facts that are out there.

I have alot of work to further indulge in so the editing of tags and records is not yet implemented since I haven't created a login system but I really would like some feedback thus far.

I really would like some feedback and have put content on the about page for an idea on the scope of this project, please try the system and give me your honest opinions. The system to pull the results is using ajax however I will be developing a traditional alternative to promote accessibility in the near future.

try searching for >> help with prime numbers
or >> the earth

http://www.QuesLib.com
  • JasonStanley
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • JasonStanley
  • Loc: London, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very very nice. Great Idea and its a really nice site.

I have a few questions. How do you insure the answers to questions inputted are correct?

The problem I can see with this site is filling it out with content. Are you doing anything to encourage content to be added?

I like the design. Keep up the good work.
  • Shadows
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Shadows

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Jason, firstly thanks for the feedback, now to answer your question and it's an important question which unfortuately requires alot of additional work to overcome the problem of bad data given by guests.

I suspect it will be near impossible to have correct answers, with a bit of luck it will play a small percentage on the actual content within the database, even wikipedia has errors I imagine.

Since the content is going to be user generated, I put my trust in the people to input the data and secondly for users to edit the answers when they come across an error much like a person edits a wikipedia page.

It will take time to see how this spans out, at the moment all additions go straight into the system, soon I will enable my moderation system and will implement further fields into the system like reference resources since I believe Plagiarism may become a potential problem but hopefully one that can be overcome if relevant resources(references) are included.

In about one months time I hope to include a payment system (temporary for say 6 months...) that will pay users a set amount for each approved submission.

I have two problems here, ensuring I can actually make payments so my system needs to be accurate (this money will be coming from my own pocket), I will probably have a system that deducts amount off a db variable and close the payment system after zero has been reached, this hasn't been brainstormed yet.

Secondly ensuring I get the trust of the contributors, I know about the unfortuate scams that go on over the internet so I have to gain the trust of users willing to contribute and ensure them they will actually get paid.

Again I will have to moderate all submissions, I'm hoping a few friends of mine from comp science and chemistry courses will contribute to the project.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very cool, a W3C valid page. I like it.

The only thing that I can see that may make it a little better is that you could make the headings of each result clickable aswell instead of just the "read result" link ...
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice plain simple layout, Love it. Great work
  • Shadows
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Shadows

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the feedback guys and righteous_trespasser, you raise a good point, one which I will implement on my next update.
  • exipnos
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

very very nice...

maybe you have to put a image for the answer.

For example : What is Router? (image Router)

Great work :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

A good idea to make it a valid site... a plus for that in my grade book :D

Also, there is a minus :shock: resize the browser to see what I mean... fix it :)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Also, there is a minus resize the browser to see what I mean... fix it

What are you talking about, I had it at 800x600 and I don't see anything wrong ...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers