SITE REVIEW: Quotionary - Your quotes dictionary

• jiahao
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jiahao

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, as the topic mentioned,

I need really some good advice on the website http://quotionary.net

It is actually created base on my own interest on quotes and I would like to improve it. Any comments will be deeply appreciated ! :) Like all of you here, doing website is another of my interest, hehe.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the idea has wonderful potential, but the site could use a little work. Feedback:

- Don't use frames.
- There is no reason for you to be using an client-side imagemap for your menu (on the left) instead of a menu consisting of CSS-styled text options. I'd understand if it were graphically complex, but it's white text on a blue background. Speaking of which...
- Given the relatively monochromatic look of the site (header, logo, menu), that white on blue is a little jarring.
- Why is your menu basically duplicated on both sides of your Flash piece?
- The Flash animation is very jerky for me, not at all smooth. I'm viewing the site on Firefox 1.5.0.3/XP, 1600x1200.
- Ensure that your navigation works. Currently, clicking on "Daily Quotes" on the right-hand menu took me nowhere.
- On the right-hand menu, the distance between options is relatively equal, except between "about us" and "news"; those two are kind of jammed together.
- Your marquee at the top of the page is also not moving at all smoothly for me, it's very jerky.
- The text you do have could use some proofreading.

Again, I think it's a great idea and you're off to a good start. The site's got style, but it sort of falls flat. Keep the quality consistent throughout, and you'll do great.

Good luck!

- Gita
  • jiahao
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jiahao

Post 3+ Months Ago

justG wrote:
I think the idea has wonderful potential, but the site could use a little work. Feedback:

- Don't use frames.
- There is no reason for you to be using an client-side imagemap for your menu (on the left) instead of a menu consisting of CSS-styled text options. I'd understand if it were graphically complex, but it's white text on a blue background\

- Gita

If i don't use frames, where would you sugges me to put my navigation links?

Also, I am a newbie so I don't really understand the CCS style stuff, care to elabroate more?
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your navigation bar is simply repeated at a specific location on each page, it doesn't need to be in a frame.

As for CSS, http://www.w3schools.com is a good place to start.
  • GRex
  • GRex

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suggest you take some time and teach yourself to use a content management system (CMS). For your site, I'd recommend Joomla.

You need them because your interest is in your content, not spending days and days to tweak and hack HTML and CSS. Using them to update your site would make your life much easier.
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

How then, do you get smarter if you take the easy way out?

I suggest you keep at your website, it has great potential. I was sitting their reading the quotes for about 10 minutes. It would be a great resource to teachers I think, just as long as your website shows up on Google.

The only thing that really bugs me is the first page, the navigation on the right hand side. It's very difficult for me to read. The black on white is ok, but after awhile it starts to hurt the eyes, there's no... whats the word, padding between the white and black, its just abrupt.

Thats it for now, great idea!
  • jiahao
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jiahao

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was trying to find a easy way out too. But I use CMS (Joomla), would i still be able to maintain my site's look and stuff?

Or can i just intergrate to the site just for the quotes section, where I can just easily enter the quotes without hacking HTML and stuff.

If you guys recommend to use CMS, what else other than Joomla is recommended for newbies like me? Easy and good?

So two questions
1) Will I be able to maintain my site's look if i use CMS?

2) What are the recommended CMS softwares?
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my (albeit limited) experience, the thing that makes a CMS difficult to implement is needing to retain an existing site aesthetic. The applications I've evaluated use templates, so maintaining content is simply a matter of filling out some web-based forms. But modifying the templates requires knowledge of the underlying code, whether it's (X)HTML, CSS, PHP, Perl, or whatever.

If you want a plug 'n' play solution, check out OpenSourceCMS, where you can try live demo installations of various packages. The interface should give you some idea of how easy it will be to get it up and running. If you've got a CPanel deal with your web host, you might have Fantastico installed. This brilliant script enables one to install various popular applications (phpBB for forums, osCommerce shopping cart, WordPress blogging platform, among many others) with just a few clicks.

But keep in mind that most of these solutions are only "plug 'n' play" if you stick to the default aesthetic (layout, skin, whatever). If you want to retain complete control over that aspect of your site, then as ZeroIQ says, you're really better off learning to code properly yourself.

Should you decide to go with a CMS, Drupal, e107, Joomla, and PHP-Nuke are some of the most popular ones.

Good luck.

- Gita
  • jiahao
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jiahao

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just wondeirng, do you have a good help website for Joomla? I have installed alreadry Joomla manually
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Joomla site itself and the user community are probably good places to get help.
  • jiahao
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jiahao

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks all! I'll use this website temp while try to figure out the rest =)
  • ej3soft
  • Born
  • Born
  • ej3soft

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the people that like quotes find a website like yours is a good new.
I was thinking create a site like http://quotionary.org/ but the work to add, update and review quotes take off the idea of my brain.
  • jiahao
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jiahao

Post 3+ Months Ago

ej3soft wrote:
For the people that like quotes find a website like yours is a good new.
I was thinking create a site like http://quotionary.org/ but the work to add, update and review quotes take off the idea of my brain.

Hi ej3soft, just for your info, http://quotionary.net and http://quotionary.org is the same website :)

Cheers!
  • jiahao
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jiahao

Post 3+ Months Ago

Added the quote of the day.

Was wondering if i should add a counter? any ideas?
  • NewEra
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • NewEra

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have something to say about SEO:
your site has no text
(navigation and main page body are pictures)
you have to have text to help you with the search engine
  • jiahao
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jiahao

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks! Will add some words in !
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Viewed on smaller resolution I have hardly any space for the main text with that logo in the top frame. Frames are not the best idea, but if you need to use them for your menu, then just have two of them. Put the logo on the left above the menu, the search bar below it, and let the main content take up the main frame.

I think it woudl be good if you had your menu a different background colour, maybe light blue, so it stood out a bit more and you knew where it ended and the main page began.

Check for spelling errors. They really stand out on your page. Since most intellectuals that are interested in such material dislike them. And misspelling in a menu image is even worse.

Some mouse over for your menu would be nice. I have no idea what's in any of those sections.

Your logo is kind of strange. Why are you restricting yourself to black and white? Atleast change the colour of the squares. Light blue, red, grey, or maybe even green... If you're doing my menu background suggestion I suggest red.

Finally I got to searching for something and I need flash? Why do I need flash to search for quotes? You should use PHP or something...

That should be enough to keep you going for a while, and really improve your site.
  • jiahao
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jiahao

Post 3+ Months Ago

NewEra wrote:
i have something to say about SEO:
your site has no text
(navigation and main page body are pictures)
you have to have text to help you with the search engine

Hiya,

I checked the search engine today, I realised although I don't have much text on my main page, the website got indexed by yahoo, after two weeks since its creation, and 1 week on MSn after its creation!
  • jiahao
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jiahao

Post 3+ Months Ago

Azoundria wrote:
Viewed on smaller resolution I have hardly any space for the main text with that logo in the top frame. Frames are not the best idea, but if you need to use them for your menu, then just have two of them. Put the logo on the left above the menu, the search bar below it, and let the main content take up the main frame.

I think it woudl be good if you had your menu a different background colour, maybe light blue, so it stood out a bit more and you knew where it ended and the main page began.

Check for spelling errors. They really stand out on your page. Since most intellectuals that are interested in such material dislike them. And misspelling in a menu image is even worse.

Some mouse over for your menu would be nice. I have no idea what's in any of those sections.

Your logo is kind of strange. Why are you restricting yourself to black and white? Atleast change the colour of the squares. Light blue, red, grey, or maybe even green... If you're doing my menu background suggestion I suggest red.

Finally I got to searching for something and I need flash? Why do I need flash to search for quotes? You should use PHP or something...

That should be enough to keep you going for a while, and really improve your site.

Hello! thanks for the comments,

Firstly, you said about searching for something and flash, I don't get you!

Secondly, I'll get someone to check the grammer, if there is anyone who wish to help, please contact me! thanks

Thirdly, I was thinking about the frames thingy, youw ere saying to have two frames but how am I going to sqeeze the login in the frame where my navigation bar lies, it looks strange beacuse my main frame will be sqeeze to the right side
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't really understand but on Firefox it says 'Additional Plug-Ins are required to view this page' and you have to download the Flash update.

I see I can search without flash in IE.

There's something beside the main page that must be the login you're talking about. What does it do and why does it take up so much room?
  • jiahao
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jiahao

Post 3+ Months Ago

Azoundria wrote:
I don't really understand but on Firefox it says 'Additional Plug-Ins are required to view this page' and you have to download the Flash update.

I see I can search without flash in IE.

There's something beside the main page that must be the login you're talking about. What does it do and why does it take up so much room?

hey!, I was trying to fix the bug in firefox.

can you search using the ssearch engine when using firefox after downloading the addon?

I don't understand whta login you are talking about!, could you tell me more?
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know theres a flash box beside the text that says i need to plugin. I just assumed it might be a login screen. But I see now its a decoration.

No, the search bar does not work.
  • jiahao
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jiahao

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys, was wondering if i should add a background music into the website? (those that allows users to start or stop), is it a good idea?

I am thinking of some soothing music.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

As long as it's not on "autoplay='true'," it should be fine. I think what people object to most (I know I do) is music starting in the background without an invitation.

- Gita
  • alexmos
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Europe, RO

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like your website... I like quotes :wink:
There is lot more work ahead though if you want to make it very popular... nice layout... some search engine optimisation...
  • mlsmls
  • mlsmls

Post 3+ Months Ago

site has got good main page flash. But i dont like left menu.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers