SITE REVIEW: Rampantgear.com

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey All, Just pushed this site live and I'm a little worried about performance. We're pushing a lot of image and video content plus a bunch of AJAX/CSS3/HTML5 stuff. I'm curious if a few people would be willing to hit it and let me know about any performance issues you encounter and if so what OS/Browser combo your using. Thanks in advance.

Rampantgear.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.9) Gecko/20100825 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Firefox/3.6.9

Initial load of the page, the video in the background was short and stretched wide. I have a 1440x900 resolution. When I minimized then re-maximized the browser window the video went to what appeared to be the correct aspect ratio. My guess is there's an onresize event that needs to be triggered on initial page load.

While that video is playing, the "The Features" will not react to button presses. If it's closed it will not open until the video is paused and if it's open it will not close until the video is paused. I'm thinking this has something to do with HTML elements not liking to render above Flash elements.

--

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.3 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/6.0.472.59 Safari/534.3

The "The Features" section will slide up and down while the video is playing. The sliding action is a little smoother in Chrome than it was in Firefox or Opera.

--

I don't know if I like the video starting by itself. It seems to slow down the page early on and I didn't know it was the thing doing so until I started looking around. I'm thinking leave that first frame visible, start paused, and put a medium circle (sticker style like the other circles) "Watch Demo" button on the right side of the video.

--

I'll take another look at it from Windows Vista based browsers on this same computer later on today. I have a few things to get done while Ubuntu is running, then I can boot into Windows. :)
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm I'm wondering if the strange video lag/issues with html over the Flash are being caused by the Linux Flash Player. I've had somewhat similar experiences on some really underpowered Macs that we can attribute to the Flash player and I know they're similar. I may be able to solve it by simply forcing that background to load last or at least after the document ready fires.

I'll be interested to hear if the experience is different on the same box under windows. Anyway thanks for the help it gives me something to work with.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Same computer, different operating system.

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET4.0C)

Runs just fine. The "The Features" section is a little jumpy while the video is playing but not bad.

--

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.9) Gecko/20100824 Firefox/3.6.9

Video plays much better than Firefox on Linux did. "The Features" section will open and close while video is playing, but all intermediate frames of the animation are skipped; I click, wait the same amount of time I would for the animation to play, then it jumps to the last frame.

--

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.3 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/6.0.472.55 Safari/534.3

Pretty much equal to Internet Explorer for performance.

--

Keep in mind that Opera is my every day browser. I've been testing in these other browsers because they're not "tainted" by every day use and boatloads of extensions/etc. :)
  • wugger

Post 3+ Months Ago

Using Internet Explorer 8 on Windows Vista

The background video is a little slow to load for me, which leaves a huge blank space on your web site for some users for many seconds making us wonder what's going on. I think you over-estimate its selling point by making it so big. The Youtube videos should just be embedded instead of being opened as a new window and thus taking users away from your site even if temporarily. You can make room for the Youtube vids by shrinking the background vid to 1/4 its current size.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say that same things other are saying about the video. It's not good in the background. My laptop can't see it, and I don't know what's happening.

What is good about the site is your product and tag line: "Just add a 5th Gen iPod Nano to Rampant's View case & you've got a trick ready helmet cam with zero fuss"

I think you should make that sentance, along with the two pictures more prodominent. Make the video off to the right like a YouTube embedded video, and put your focus on your tagline.
  • Longclark
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Longclark

Post 42 days ago

Just Now I have visited your website it is looking good and neat only change need to do is to add some more tabs in your website which will be helpful for all to choose the desired one they need.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers