SITE REVIEW: rantingbill

• mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

My dad is a big political guru and I suggested he put together a blog. He really liked the idea so I went ahead and set a wordpress up for him. It's on an IP right now because I wanted to get the site completed before we routed the DN. Let me know what you think, I really want this to look good for him.

I went with an older 50's/60's pop culture style because that was my dads favorite era and he didn't want to restrict his blog articles to only politics so the look needed to be something somewhat vague/open ended.

This is the first time I've attempted this style so hopefully I'll get some good feedback from you guys. I'm looking for some sturdy criticism on the design.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the request, can you provide the IP?
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry guys, I must have been tired last night.

Rantingbill.com
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know the navbar needs work, just at a loss for ideas right now. Any design reviews would be extremely helpful.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the textures you have going on. Although I see a couple different themes with the lights and the little round dots at the top that make it look like a sheet of paper out of a spiral notebook. Would you mind explaining a little more about what your were going for with the design elements and the feel?
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suppose the lights could be taken out. The only reason I have them is to tie in the header and the body so they don't look so seperated - for better flow. I used lights because I was having a creative block in that aspect. I wanted a 50's style because it's somewhat ironic. You have a blog purely based on a lot of cynicism, skepticism, and negativity - and yet the website looks like something from the 50's - an era that is remembered for being happy and perfect. Think Pleasantville.

Everyone in all the ads from that era were so "perfectly" airbrushed and happy all the time. Very cheesy smiles, housewives, 3.5 person families, working father. Everyone remembers the 50's as being "peachy-keen" and yet there isn't any of it nowadays. Hardly any working-father, housewife mother household; "housewife" now has a negative connotation.

Point is, I really liked the irony of it all.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I removed the lights, as I agree - they don't really fit with the theme. I changed the dotted border to a solid border - I think it looks a bit better this way. I still think I need something to come down off the header and into the body though; it just seems too separated to me.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay, I just tried to set permalinks and the whole thing broke, won't be back up until monday.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay, it's back up. Please review.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the new header. What do you think about not having the space above it and pushing it all the way to the top of the page (pulls up the content on the page). Also the white box for the footer seems a little plain with everything else going on, could you do something cool behind the footer as well?

The archive pulldown is being a little strange in FF3.5 in OSX.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay, I fixed the navigation and moved the header to the top. Also set the footer to transparent background.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry I have waited so long to give you a review... just before when I visited that site, it was stripped from any stylesheet, so I didn't bother bothering you :lol:

But now I could give you a review... and here it comes.

I think that you should add some space between paragraphs. It looks horrible without them. Feels like the whole entire post is one paragraph.

Nice header... I really like it :thumbsup: Good job. And good job on the name (rantingBill), did you come up with that on your own?

Other than that, I seriously do not have anything to say... seriously... I'm surprised.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it man. It's really getting there. A couple things (all in FF3.5 on OSX) the right side where the header meets the content it seems to be a pixel off. Also the content padding is not the same on the left and right, not sure if thats what you meant to do or not.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

@CXLink:
I'm not sure how to fix that single pixle difference. The problem is that the body background isn't matching up with the header background. I tried resizing the image by 1 px; that misaligned on both sides, I can't change much in the css because everything uses the "center" declaration for the background. I tried percentages but it was either 1px to the left or 1px to the right. Any ideas on this?

I'm not too worried about the padding because I'll be adding google adsense to the right side of the page later on.

@Bogey:
I added <p> tags to the paragraphs. Wordpress decided not to do this automatically for some reason - not sure why. It usually does. But it now has spacing. Yes I came up with the name, glad you like it!

@Everyone:
Anybody have any ideas for the navigation? It looks so plane to me but I just can't think of anything clever.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers