SITE REVIEW: Rate my Kitten

• Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Flordia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rate My Kitten

I started a site for viewer to be able to rate their cats and post comments on other cats. You can log in and submit pictures. All of the functionality is not there yet but most is. Tell me what you think.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• zhouyi
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Mars,
Your site looks clear and simple,I can understand it easily.

Can you make out a little more clear that: Is it FREE to register? Free to rate or submit? Or,what I have to do for this site if I get the service from it?
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea, every thing's free. I'll take a look at posting that somewhere. Do you have any suggestions of where a good place would be? Thanks.
  • zhouyi
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mars,
Lower Right Corner has enough space for that. The space between "sign in" and "friendly sites". Is it available?

Or, you can check your post some other times, people here may give more valuable suggestions,I think. :D
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

For sure it's a better design than http://ratemykitten.com, but you're going to have to work hard to be bigger than them. One thing I noticed that was missing is a way to view the top kittens, or the low-rated kittens.

It's a bit bright on my eyes, too.

According to W3C there are 95 errors in your XHTML.
  • Sania
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heya Mars I also noticed that when people rate the kittehs, the same images pop up a few times after already rating them.
  • natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas
  • Loc: AFK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Mars,

I like the site overall, including the color scheme (very simple). I did notice that the horizontal stripes in the background make my eyes cross, (just kidding!) but I would change it to something a little less busy. Hope this helps.
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. Yea, I have some broken links cause I'm only about half way done with developing it. That's why I don't have the top sections either. There aren't many pictures right now so sometimes the same one pops up.

I may change the background and loose the stripes. What do you think about a gradient from pink to white?
  • tshang
  • tshang

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think its adorable but agree lose the stripes. The background really does hurt my eyes. I think you would be better off with a solid background or perhaps a gradient fading towards the bottom. The main focus should be on the cute kitties so I think keeping it simple is a good idea.
  • natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas
  • Loc: AFK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mars wrote:
Thanks. Yea, I have some broken links cause I'm only about half way done with developing it. That's why I don't have the top sections either. There aren't many pictures right now so sometimes the same one pops up.

I may change the background and loose the stripes. What do you think about a gradient from pink to white?

I took the liberty of finding a color palette based on your header image... You can check it out here..
http://www.degraeve.com/color-palette/i ... aaffffffff

A gradient or solid background, in my opinion, would look good using a color from this color palatte.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Breeze wrote:
For sure it's a better design than http://ratemykitten.com, but you're going to have to work hard to be bigger than them. One thing I noticed that was missing is a way to view the top kittens, or the low-rated kittens.

It's a bit bright on my eyes, too.

According to W3C there are 95 errors in your XHTML.

Funny you should mention that. That was the first thing that caught my eye too.
  • webdesignerrr
  • Born
  • Born
  • webdesignerrr

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love it this site is amazing
  • Sania
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just looked at it again and the one thing that really strikes me is that it seems a little empty not sure why! Maybe its just me hmm...
  • waachaa
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Rochester, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha wow cool thats a really great idea for a site. nice job!
  • flishyflashy
  • flishyflashy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Honestly on my computer, it is difficult to read the pink text against the background. Maybe a darker shade of pink?? I really can't say. But the real question I had was how do I get to see all the cats, so I can rate which ones I want? It is a great concept, I like the idea of submissions, and it looks like it's programmed well, but as a user, that is what I found myself asking first, is it just random cats, or can I have a thumbnail gallery perhaps of cats to rate as i wish.
  • tihomir_wwf
  • tihomir_wwf

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

few suggestions by me:

1) change the background to solid purple color

2) increase the size of the search box

3) add some borders to 'Sign In', 'What is Rate My Kitten?', etc.

Good Luck
  • beanguy
  • Born
  • Born
  • beanguy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice concept, I think you will attract lots of users. A bit too pinky for my taste but then again, I'm not a cat kinda guy. Good stuff nevertheless.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers