SITE REVIEW: RawSignal.com

• MysteryLeo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MysteryLeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

So my buddy and I got really interested in news and how to better stay informed. We decided to start building site for topics we're interested in.

http://celeb.rawsignal.com/

We're pretty technical, and that's part of the fun of the project honestly. However, we're not sure if the design and layout is any good. We were going for a clean look that focuses on the news at hand.

Our old design looked like a link farm and was awful. We're hoping this is better, but not sure. What do you all think? Also, are there any examples of sites and layouts that have a better and more usable design look and feel?

Thanks for helping some n00bs
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• sterweber

Post 3+ Months Ago

All I see is one big MC Donalds ad at the right!

Just kidding, looks good it could use a logo.
  • MysteryLeo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MysteryLeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

sterweber wrote:
All I see is one big MC Donalds ad at the right!

Just kidding, looks good it could use a logo.

Yeah. Half of me wants to take down ads until we get enough traffic to build up cred.

Yeah I need to go farm out some logo work to get a logo. I think I'll tie that into our Dec Official release.
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the idea especially the games just note for some of the topics you have "coming soon" text even though they now work, a bit of housekeeping is in order here! One more thing (me been picky but) when you mouse over a topic a box appears around it, good but if you click on any white space i.e. not the title link the related links or the pic nothing happens, which is okay but it makes you wonder what the box is there for after all the hover effect lets you know what your mousing over, take or leave that one I may very well be the only person in the world that finds it odd. ;)
  • creative726
  • Born
  • Born
  • creative726

Post 3+ Months Ago

great site, quickly load no big pictures making site heavy, but ads are making site look weak, so in my opinion just work on header and eliminate some ads is enough
  • MysteryLeo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MysteryLeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

tastysite wrote:
I like the idea especially the games just note for some of the topics you have "coming soon" text even though they now work, a bit of housekeeping is in order here! One more thing (me been picky but) when you mouse over a topic a box appears around it, good but if you click on any white space i.e. not the title link the related links or the pic nothing happens, which is okay but it makes you wonder what the box is there for after all the hover effect lets you know what your mousing over, take or leave that one I may very well be the only person in the world that finds it odd. ;)

Updated the coming soon. They were there, but the algo was still learning.

Glad you like the gamer section. I found the gamer http://gamer.rawsignal.com/ and the celeb http://celeb.rawsignal.com/ sections to be the best.

Some of the other sections are still learning like: http://politics.rawsignal.com/

Yeah the box thing is rather new. Still gathering feedback and usability on it. I'll add your feedback, and see if there's a trend.
  • MysteryLeo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MysteryLeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

creative726 wrote:
great site, quickly load no big pictures making site heavy, but ads are making site look weak, so in my opinion just work on header and eliminate some ads is enough

Good point. the ads aren't making any money anyways right now. I should just kill those.
  • MysteryLeo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MysteryLeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Guys -

I added some email and permalink buttons. I need to create a way to let people share, but I get the feeling things may be getting a little crowded.

Is it crowded or not?
http://celeb.rawsignal.com/

If it is any tips on how to uncrowd? Much appreciated.
  • watson lee
  • watson lee

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice idea to start a site. but there is to much text on the home page. i mean lets display the add in this way. headline in bold and then a short description of the news (one-one and half lines). and then by clicking on the news, reader may read the entire news story. as it is a news site, you can also have a "suggestion/opinion poll" sort of things on it.
  • joekion77
  • Born
  • Born
  • joekion77

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your website took a while to load - I'd recommend working on database optimization.

Design-wise I like the simplicity of everything, and the colors work well, but I feel you should add a bit more style to your logo - plain text is not flattering.
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

your site's great! it's really fulfilling the promise of keeping the viewers updated about real events. the links have cool colors and look matching to overall pages. the design is simple yet elegant and the user interface is easy.
i give your site 9/10!
the only thing i'll suggest is that you should fill up the "Sahara desert" of empty space on the lower right. it creates a "dumb" look-and-feel.

regards
  • Phoenix_Sky
  • Loc: Western Cape, South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there

On reviewing your site my first impression with no holds barred is "Fan-flipping-tastic".

Even though there are a number of other sites with the same service delivery, your site seems to be "modern, clean, professional, up to date, user friendly, quick on the facts".

Well done!!

Yours in Design,
Phoenix Sky Designs

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers