SITE REVIEW: Raz-Sports.com Website

• razsports
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • razsports

Post 3+ Months Ago

darkermoon,

Yes, you are 100% correct about the width issue. I agree if I can solve this issue and maybe add another graphic or two to home page(to give sports feel) the site would be good :)

I've worked very hard on this site and coming close to a solution :)
  • razsports
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • razsports

Post 3+ Months Ago

darkermoon,

I tried your advice with the changes to the width. It looks very good with the resolution of: 1024 by 768. However, at the normal average resolution of 800 by 600, the blogs and forums links on the right side of the page don't look god at all. The links scroll down like this:

baseball cards
blogs

fantasy baseball
blogs

and there is scrolling.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's probably because they fall outside of 750 pixels because of the way your site is designed. You just have to play with it and if you're going to use a fixed width site, do every part of it fixed width, so it will all look the same on all browsers. Or, if you're working with percentages, work with those and keep it that way, keeping in mind that you must design your site to expand and contract with the screen resolution. I agree that you have to code for 800x600+ but, I'd worry the most about 1024x768 . It has to look okay for all of them (ie. those links on the right get under control) but, optimize the look for 1024x768.
  • razsports
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • razsports

Post 3+ Months Ago

darkermoon,

I totally agree :) I have a nice site with potential. It's just trying to work in some graphics and fixing the width that has been a pain. The only think that a few on here did not understand is my site is not ESPN.com, which is basically all sports scores, stats and news. My site is more or less a sports search engine that includes a directory, site reviews, blogs and forums.

I have a few new layouts I might post shortly. I been working on some more CSS with a few layouts.

• razsports
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • razsports

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Here is one possible new layout I am working on for my home page. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

http://www.raz-sports.com/bats.html
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks nice at 800x600. I'll do a more complete review when I get home. at school now. (some sports nutrition class) oh yeah, and I think the border around the outside doesn't look so good (in my opinion..)
  • razsports
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • razsports

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi dark,

I fixed the home page, http://www.raz-sports.com and the sports site review page: http://www.raz-sports.com/sports-site-reviews.html
  • razsports
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • razsports

Post 3+ Months Ago

darkermoon,

I am going to fix up the sports rumor pages, later today. Also, I am adding sports related graphics to the forums. Oh yeah, I've tried to change the sports blogs look some to make it look like blogs. However, the EasyCms script is not easy to figure out. I might install this new script for the blogs :)

I am in the process now of designing some more graphics.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks good on my screen :)

"This is sports news. " could be changed to something more interesting.. like a slogan.. something like "we are sports news 24/7" or something, what do the other OZZans think of this? yes, I'm pretty sure I just made a new name for ozzu residents.
  • razsports
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • razsports

Post 3+ Months Ago

darkermoon,

Actually, I am working on a new name for this is news. I would like to have links to my blogs under this so search engines pick them up.
  • razsports
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • razsports

Post 3+ Months Ago

darkermoon,

I updated my home page, again. Added the top sports rumor of the day next to the baseball head with sunglasses :) The link about it takes you to the rumors pages. Needed to do this for search engines :)

Now, all I have left is to update the rumor pages and try to change the blogs lookout with some sports icons :)
  • Jepps98
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Umm, not exactly sure...

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it's a sport site, I would recomend you get Dream Weaver. So that way you can animate the logo and stuff. overall, you have done a good job on your site. :wink: Your layout is nice and I love your BG, well sorta :P you should add some thing to the page right under the logo kinda something like this:

Code: [ Select ]
<marquee>You are visiting a Sport Website Please have fun.marquee>

Try adding something like that man.

Overall, it is a alright site, I woud give it a 8-10 :wink:
  • razsports
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • razsports

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jepp,

Thanks for your input. I am against adding animate cause it would slow up load time. Plus, I can not have that many graphics as it would take the point of my site away from the visitor. How many portal or search engine sites have graphics or amination? Not many.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

in my opinion, DO NOT add a marquee.
  • razsports
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • razsports

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dark,

I agree with your opinion, DO NOT add a marquee. Adding a marquee and animation is fine for a game type website.
  • Lord Kai
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dark Moon my point is they are both awesome but newgrounds just has a better appeal and at first stie newgrounds seems like a better choice.
  • Lord Kai
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also I think the site is looking alot better than the last time i looked it up nice job raz
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep, major progress :) I'm liking its feel now.
  • razsports
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • razsports

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I've been working recently on my website with ideas/suggestions from several forums, including this one. Listed below are the two pages I'd like to have reviewed. Oh yes, not all links on these pages are working. Before I get all the links to work I am taking suggestions as these two pages would be my new home page. Anyway, here are the two pages to review:

1. http://www.raz-sports.com/sites.html

2. http://www.raz-sports.com/clean.html

The look, feel, and load time are the key. Thanks
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey RazSports...for the sites.html,

1/ The first thing I noticed was it looks like your banner is not centered with the rest of your content. I would possibly line up the top with the tables you have in blue.

2/ The text you have in the tables is running right against the picture on the left. I would put some padding in there so you don't have them right next to each other.

3/ The red table/border looks out of place. If you formatted it differently it may look better.
  • razsports
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • razsports

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi vetofunk,

Thanks for your input. I see what you mean with padding in the content. I can fix that :) With the red table that lists the sports directires, I've tried different formats and can't seem to get it that perfection :(
  • razsports
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • razsports

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi vetofunk,

You said my banner is not centered. Could you please explain? Looking at it myself using IE and FireFox, it does look lined up. It might not be 100% centered and that is cause I had to set the design up to fit smaller resolutions.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

razsports,

Please DO NOT start a new topic about the same site. Continue from the original thread, I've merged both threads into one.

Thanks.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

sites.html

I think what vetofunk was saying, and what I want to comment on, was that the razsports..com logo was off to the left from the rest of your content. It doesnt line up with your other content, and looks a tad unprofessional. I think the whole top portion has too much white space and could use a border or some form of definition. The images you use beside sports forum and sports blog look cheap. And that animation you have "all american sports, directory search resources", gets annoying and the text is choppy and hard to read. Beside the search button below, it looks like "Sports Answers Prospects" is one link, and it made no sense. Then I realized it was 2 different links. You may want to separate those a little better.

The content below is cheapened with the generic border you have around the table. The content within seem disorganized. I have to agree that the red effect thing you have on the right looks out of place and generally horrible. No complaints about the footer. Put your css into an external file and reference it in. In your meta description... "Search our human edited sports pages", I remember commenting when you first put the site up for review that "human edited" sounded wrong, still does. At the bottom in your footer, you have a <font> tag that should've been taken care of using css.

clean.html

Again with the alignment issues, in addition to the off center logo, you now have an off center baseball. The whole content looks to boring, too much white space. Again with the cheap borders. Again, the content looks disorganized. Its kind of like viewing the same page up top, except you disorganized it a little more and added some images.

To be blatantly honest, neither page appeals to me at all. Mostly because the content is so jumbled up and hard to sift through. If I had to choose between the 2, I'd probably say sites.html was the lesser of two evils, but you should definitely rework the content portion of the site.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 54 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers