SITE REVIEW: Razorbackdesign.com

• sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson
  • Loc: Arkansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys. Just need some opinions. My web professor wants to help me start a web company. The problem is, is that he left it up to me on the site. He's allowing me to get help over the web, which is where you guys come in,, hopefully. The site is http://www.razorbackdesign.com Criticism is ok but ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Moderator Remark: Thread unlocked. Thanks for complying with our requests. Users feel free to review now.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

To show that there's no hard feelings, I'll take the first swing. ;) At first glance, the sizes are confusing.

Your body fonts are rather large, and your navigation bar is nearly as large as the content. A smaller font would work better for your nav links and I would use one size for them in both spots - top and bottom.

The graphic at the top is a bit pixelated. It looks as if it's compressed too small or blown up too big.

Swap the gray background in the navbar to the brownish color you used at the bottom. White text on light gray is harder to see. If you end up redoing your top banner, then ditch the red/black and incorporate the brown color.

Check your site layout in multiple browsers - in FF3.5, your validation icon hangs out the bottom of the brownish bar.
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the first review. I wanted to let you know that once my site is to his satisfaction he will be helping me the services. On the subject of the the validation icon, I tried working with the padding but it's not changing anything.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the validation icon, try the following:
Code: [ Select ]
a img {
    border: 0px;
}
  1. a img {
  2.     border: 0px;
  3. }

Now for a review:

[+]The design is simple and the layout is functional... that is good
[-]The 'About Us' page didn't really tell me anything except that you are a small firm with expectations.

[+]I really like the header... looks really cool
[-]What about a portfolio? What have you done? I don't see any

[+]I like the color theme you got going there... I think it really workd.
[-]Like UPSGuy pointed out, I think that the main text is too big... try a smaller and a different font. I'll suggest later as to which font when I get an idea :lol:

How about getting a favicon? I think they kind of add to the identity of a site. More recognizable, especially if done professionally.

The services page doesn't tell me what kind of services you provide... at the very least, it only says you do web design, and that's it... but the title is plural... it says services.

It says, "professional professionally designed Web site"... I don't think the 'professional' is necessary there...

I would also work on the design a little bit... even though it's simple and got a good theme, it is not organized or put together to show professionalism, large text, all that padding between the blocks, and blocks of different widths... besides, the XHTML validation image is an overkill... I suggest you remove it and just mention in your services page that you create XHTML valid pages.

I don't know about any one else, but I don't like centered content like you got there on some pages... I don't mind the headers/titles being centered, but I don't think that center and content mix well.

Since the pages are so small in height, I don't think that it is necessary to put the links of your pages in the footer as well... I think you could safely remove it and center the copyright and make the footer smaller in height...

That's about it for now, when and if I get more to say/suggest about it, I would post it here. Don't get discouraged... that's a great start.
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the replies, they are really helping.
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok,, I've made the changes. Let me know if I'm going in the right direction.

http://www.razorbackdesign.com
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is so much better... the only things I would tell you to fix are the stuff I told you in my previous post that you didn't do, but it's looking better already :thumbsup:
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do I put the little icon on the browser tab for my site.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Create an image 16px by 16px and save it to your directory, then put the following in your code between the:
<head> ... </head>

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" />

You don't necessarily need the favicon on the ico extension... mine, for instance, is a png image.
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know it has something to do with the title,, atleast I think.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I must not have explained it well enough on this post. But I see that you have solved it :)
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah,, you explained it I jumped the gun didn't see your post there when I posted.
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys,, again thanks for all the help, please keep them coming, my professor says I'm making progress and I did give you guys the credit. Which was ok. I think so far I used all of your ideas so far.
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone have some ideals about content placement?
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey sbronson,
The site is coming along. I would suggest adding some more padding around your content mainly on top. Also maybe some more on the nav bar as well.

Why do you change the text alignment between the pages? Do you have any images you can add to the site? I just feel like you could push the design further with something as simple as an image down the right side producing a right column that you wouldn't put anything in. Then decrease the size of the text by about 4px and left align it all. Maybe also connection the header nav and content containers. Just some ideas hope they help.
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah,, It would be nice to had some images,, I'm not much of a graphic designer, nor do I have any images.
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was looking at my CSS file and I'm confused, it does shift but all the margins look the same.
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

A quick question,, hopefully. My contact page shifts a little bit, can someone tell me what I did wrong. I think its the only page that does it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just noticed that you have a different stylesheet for every page... I'm pretty sure that you don't need to do that as every page (especially as simple as that) would use the same CSS. This forum, my site and a whole bunch of others which are way more complex use only one stylesheet (Well, phpBB forum starts out with around 12, but the PHP script combines them all into one huge stylesheet).

Also, the contact page looks fine to me, it's the About Us page that shifts.

Also, I see that you have changed some stuff in your site since my last visit... Great job! It is really looking better already. Weird how small changes make big differences, huh? :)
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the compliment, Those small changes made a big difference,, I was amazed how it is coming along. I'll start working on just using 1 stylesheet
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

good place for images if you dont want to spend much money is SXC. Or if you want to spend a little try StockXpert and iStock
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Again,, THANKS guys,, Its really starting to come together.

http://www.razorbackdesign.com

I just got another compliment from my Prof.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

You want some help with the design? If I give you a jpg (or if you have photoshop a psd) do you feel comfortable cutting it up and coding it? If you want me to throw something together let me know and I will throw a rough together for you.
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have FW8 will that be good enough,, and I can slice and code
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

and by the way thank you very much.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

k I'll try to get something up this weekend. I think I can save it to FW but I am not sure what all editablity it retains.

Also sbronson if you would like to you can use the edit button on a post to edit it or add to it after the fact instead of making a new post. It just helps keeps thoughts together and keeps the topic shorter and easier to read.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thougts?

Here is the PSD.
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,, that looks good,, thank you!
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Only problem I might have is coding the links
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd suggest jumping on Listamatic and seeing if they have anything similar or something that you can easily edit to make work.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 33 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers