SITE REVIEW: Rock the 411

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would like some general feedback on a new website I recently created:

http://www.rockthe411.com/

Any positive or negative criticism is welcome. Thanks!
  • multiosbrowser
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

My test area: WinXP, 1024px resolution and WinXP large font size (poor eye sight):

With Opera 9.64 and Sidepanel I get a horizontal scroll bar, but see the whole content. With IE 8 (final) also I get a horizontal scroll bar, but the text at the right side from the header isn't visible. It's cutted (overflow used?). The link with "joining" appears outside of the header after scrolling to right.

With Firefox 3.0.7 all seems ok. What about set a limit with "max-width"? It works with IE 7 and IE 8 and most current browsers.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was confused about there being no category nav in the sidebar on the front page. I eventually found the View All Forums link.

That "Not enough characters" error Ozzu used to have when using the advanced reply button under the quick reply box is there.

I think the category headers could use the same purple filmstrip image from under the header.
  • mrslillianpucci
  • Born
  • Born
  • mrslillianpucci

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a blogger and I definitely think your site has potential. Partner with other sites and work on getting one-way backlinks.
  • tannas
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think Rock the 411 has tuturials like Ozzu does. In the member profiles, there is a link to the Member's tuturials, which then takes you to Ozzu.
http://www.rockthe411.com/member/Bigwebmaster/
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

multiosbrowser wrote:
My test area: WinXP, 1024px resolution and WinXP large font size (poor eye sight):

With Opera 9.64 and Sidepanel I get a horizontal scroll bar, but see the whole content. With IE 8 (final) also I get a horizontal scroll bar, but the text at the right side from the header isn't visible. It's cutted (overflow used?). The link with "joining" appears outside of the header after scrolling to right.

With Firefox 3.0.7 all seems ok. What about set a limit with "max-width"? It works with IE 7 and IE 8 and most current browsers.

Thanks for the feedback, I am looking with Opera 9.64 and I am not getting any horizontal scrollbar. Are you using the zoom tool on the browser or adjust font sizes? or with your General XP settings? I changed it on both and still could not reproduce what you are saying? Could you show me a screenshot of this? I have checked in IE, FF, Opera at 1024x768 and am unable to duplicate what you are referring to with regards to the horizontal scrollbar or cutoff content. I haven't checked with IE8 yet.

Is anybody else getting horizontal scrollbars?

joebert wrote:
I was confused about there being no category nav in the sidebar on the front page. I eventually found the View All Forums link.

That "Not enough characters" error Ozzu used to have when using the advanced reply button under the quick reply box is there.

I think the category headers could use the same purple filmstrip image from under the header.

Yup forgot about about that error, will fix that soon with the advanced reply button. Good idea with the purple filmstrip image, I may try that. My only concern is there might be too much going on with it then, not sure yet though.

tannas wrote:
I don't think Rock the 411 has tuturials like Ozzu does. In the member profiles, there is a link to the Member's tuturials, which then takes you to Ozzu.
http://www.rockthe411.com/member/Bigwebmaster/

Fixed, thanks :)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

To be honest, I can't handle the purple/pink color scheme. I have nothing against the colors, but the lack of color contrast drove me away instantly. I think it would help to augment your color scheme with one or two more colors that aren't variants of purple.

Gotta bust out the grammar goblin here for a sec: "By joining you can write and respond to topics here! Talk to others, and keep up on gossip!"

should be

"By joining you can write and respond to topics here, talk to others, and keep up on gossip!"

Other than that, the layout seems pretty straightforward for an Internet forum.

Firefox 3.0.7/Windows XP
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Profile page oddity.

Attachments:
odd.png
  • jstiles1979
  • Born
  • Born
  • jstiles1979

Post 3+ Months Ago

Concerning SEO

1. I would change Rock the 411 Gossip Forum to keywords (unless Rock the 411 is actual keyword)

2. Will need to put 'nofollow link attribute' on all these links
joining
register
search
login
view unanswered posts (duplicate content page)
view answered posts (duplicate content page)
read more
home (this is an anchor text just like read more)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Gotta bust out the grammar goblin here for a sec: "By joining you can write and respond to topics here! Talk to others, and keep up on gossip!"

should be

"By joining you can write and respond to topics here, talk to others, and keep up on gossip!"

Thanks for the feedback, made the change.

spork wrote:
To be honest, I can't handle the purple/pink color scheme. I have nothing against the colors, but the lack of color contrast drove me away instantly. I think it would help to augment your color scheme with one or two more colors that aren't variants of purple.

Will consider :)

joebert wrote:
Profile page oddity.

odd.png

Fixed!
  • multiosbrowser
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Could you show me a screenshot of this?

Yes, and sorry for the late answer :oops:

http://www.aadmm.de/testen/snapshots/ie8-final.jpg
(jpg-file, 121kb)

On my home pc I use the display properties of WinXP the large font with 120dpi on 1024x768. IE and Opera use the system settings, FF and Safari their own 16px as default. Hope my screenshot show what I want to tell you.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your screenshot, that helps. I will see if I can duplicate that.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers