SITE REVIEW: rooms b.y. root

• desertroots
  • desertroots
  • Loc: Arizona

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a part-time stay at home mom who would like to work into being a full-time stay at home mom through the operation of a web development company. I have just designed my first commercial site and would appreciate some good advice from those who know. Please let me know what you think: http://www.roomsbyroot.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• partyjan
  • Student
  • Student
  • partyjan
  • Loc: Norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

" the first impression a home buyer has of your home will determine if they even see the many following....."

That stands on the left side, but there is a empty big brown square to the right of it. That doesn`t make any sence to me.

1. It would have looked better if you put the text inside the green box and used some padding.

2. Putting long sentences in narrow places is not good. In this example the sentences is long and it is 2 - 3 words on each line.

And I`m a bit unsecure of that orange color on the table background there. It`s maybe a bit bright. Try to tint it a little bit.

On the top where your links is, you could try putting a rounded square in the back so it where more obviouse that it is links.
  • desertroots
  • desertroots

Post 3+ Months Ago

partyjan wrote:
1. It would have looked better if you put the text inside the green box and used some padding.

2. Putting long sentences in narrow places is not good. In this example the sentences is long and it is 2 - 3 words on each line.

And I`m a bit unsecure of that orange color on the table background there. It`s maybe a bit bright. Try to tint it a little bit.

I'm not sure what you mean about putting the text into the green box? To which box are you referring?

The sentence on the left is a recurring theme for the whole site and is on every page. I do understand your point regarding the not putting too long of a sentence in a small place, but it is meant to be sort of a sidebar on each page to anchor the whole site together, so moving it on the first page would not work...perhaps I'll take it out altogether and replace it with different sidebar content?

I understand the point on the orange too...I was wondering about it myself, but the client is pretty firm on coloring wishes, so I will probably have to stick with it for now.
  • partyjan
  • Student
  • Student
  • partyjan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I ment brown box, not green, sorry for that. And if you must have that thing on the side on every page I want you to put it at the top under "reward them" or somewhere around there. Anywhere else, not on the side.

And that white square you have put on hover on the links, it`s something odd about it. It`s just plain white. Try using a different color or maybe a transparent picture or something. It doesn`t cooperate with the rest of the site:P
  • nightvision
  • nightvision

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I got to the homepage, I found that the text:

"The first impression a home buyer has of your home will determine if they even see the many following first impressions as they walk through each room. Make each "first impression" count."

Is on the left hand site. Best thing is to put it in the brown square.

Also personally I feel the image is too large. Better to make it smaller so people can see the contents of your site immediately.
  • partyjan
  • Student
  • Student
  • partyjan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Similar to my comment. :lol: And offcourse, I aggree 8)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I would firstly make the background colour of the header text the same as the rest of the page, it's not quite the same blue ... For me photoshop has the best colour, that's why I like using it ...

Then you may want to preload the rollover images for people with slower internet connections otherwise it looks quite strange.

I think it wise to just remove that text on the left, and then to maybe center your table and keep it one size (760px fits in all resolutions down to 800x600)

the w3c markup validator found 54 errors in your coding, most of these are real easy to fix though ... http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... oot.com%2F

I also think it would be cool if you disabled the rollover of the page the visitor is on and change that text to another colour or something, so for instance if I'm at the "home" page, "home" should be another colour, and not have a rollover ...

partyjan wrote:
And that white square you have put on hover on the links, it`s something odd about it. It`s just plain white. Try using a different color or maybe a transparent picture or something. It doesn`t cooperate with the rest of the site:P
Yeah for sure... that is just a bit too white, and maybe giving it round edges instead of those blocky ones will help aswell ...

And then why is the bottom part with the copyright information white? it doesn't really fit with the rest of the page ...

What is that big brown square for, it's just there and it doesn't do anything, are you going to put something inside it? Also the font that you used on each page as the heading for example "About Us" really doesn't look like the rest and it stands out in a bad way ...

How do I get back to roomsbyroot from the blog? I can't see a link anywhere, that may be very confusing to some internet beginners ...

The picture on the "contact us" page feels like you just threw it in, I don't know what else you can do with it, but it's just too square in there ...
  • desertroots
  • desertroots

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
Okay, I would firstly make the background colour of the header text the same as the rest of the page, it's not quite the same blue ... For me photoshop has the best colour, that's why I like using it ... :arrow: Yes, I love photoshop, too! This is something I did plan on working on. I was under deadline and did not get the logo from the client until late, so I matched closely, but not as closely as I would have liked. I will be working on the site over the weekend.

Then you may want to preload the rollover images for people with slower internet connections otherwise it looks quite strange. :arrow: Preload the rollover images? How do I do that?

I think it wise to just remove that text on the left, and then to maybe center your table and keep it one size (760px fits in all resolutions down to 800x600) :arrow: Sorry to all in this room that don't like the text on the right (and one thing that's going to be harder for me having to deal with clients rather than being on my own anymore) - the client insists on that sentence and insists on it being where it is on each and every page. LOL...we'll just have to live with it, I guess.

the w3c markup validator found 54 errors in your coding, most of these are real easy to fix though ... http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... oot.com%2F :arrow: Cool. Thanks, I saw that. Most of those were due to my haste in getting this page up. I copied and pasted a number of html files into the page and forgot to take out the html tags.

I also think it would be cool if you disabled the rollover of the page the visitor is on and change that text to another colour or something, so for instance if I'm at the "home" page, "home" should be another colour, and not have a rollover ... :arrow: GREAT suggestion. That makes a lot of sense and will be in my upcoming page adjustments!

partyjan wrote:
Yeah for sure... that is just a bit too white, and maybe giving it round edges instead of those blocky ones will help aswell ...

And then why is the bottom part with the copyright information white? it doesn't really fit with the rest of the page ... :arrow: Also good suggestions. I already was concerned with the white and the hover...what do you suggest? I am thinking just a lighter blue. And maybe matching that to the bottom? I want the area with the copyright information to stand out somehow, but I agree it should flow.

What is that big brown square for, it's just there and it doesn't do anything, are you going to put something inside it? :arrow: Nope...keep in mind this particular client is a decorator. She wanted to use that dark brown color on all pages as the background for the content. It was impossible to read, so I was able to talk her out of that, but she is pretty insistent on having that block of color somewhere on the site. I might be able to find a quote or something else that she would like to put there.

Also the font that you used on each page as the heading for example "About Us" really doesn't look like the rest and it stands out in a bad way ... :arrow: That's just Arial header text. I want to make sure and leave it in a font that most folks are going to have and I don't want to put in images, etc. Any suggestions?

How do I get back to roomsbyroot from the blog? I can't see a link anywhere, that may be very confusing to some internet beginners ... :arrow: Good point. I will have to check with the client and see if there is some way to link back from her blog to her page as it is on a seperate site altogether.

The picture on the "contact us" page feels like you just threw it in, I don't know what else you can do with it, but it's just too square in there ... :arrow: I'll have to play with that and tweak it. Again...dealing with the client. LOL - She had this picture on the contact page of her old website and is in love with it, so I'll have to see what we can do.

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. Onward and upward!
  • auctionbump
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • auctionbump
  • Loc: Baltimore

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would first say that you should change to the background color to something more lighter maybe white #ffffff, leave the border around the pictures in the center but change those colors to match your logo text.

I think all you really need to do is change your colors (keep the golden brown) but I think it would really good in white background with black text.

Also, the menu I would change the style of the font. To hard to read.

Goodluck!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers