SITE REVIEW: SCUBADESIGN

• loki_ison
  • loki_ison

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well life got a little weird and i needed money..so half way though learning CSS and HTML I made this to try and get a little work.

http://scubadesign.net

all advice welcome..
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all i'm going to go straight to the content you have on the site...

1. It barely makes sense.
2. Some major spelling mistakes. I presume you mean "paced world" when you wrote "in this fast past world"?

If you are selling a product it's majorly important that you get your pitch right. You are trying to sell your ability to design and make websites yet i don't think you've gone about it in the best way with the way it was written. Sound like a pro, not somebody that wants to get a few $$'s from the site. If you REALLY want to make sites, make sure people can look at the content of the site and think "wow, this guy know's exactly what he's on about". That's not to say you go all fancy and use fancy words. It's important to be as general as possible for even the "i've no idea what i'm looking for" kind of people.

Nobody really cares about what made them come to your site. I think from reading the index page you've commented more on what people might be doing rather than what people actually came to the site for - to find out what it's about! I actually didn't know what you meant by "dive center" until i read the "about" section of the site. I have to admit comvining Diving and Web design made me laugh a wee bit...not in a bad way. It's just a little random.

For the overall design? you need more colour. Blue and white is okay, but it's just not making me feel like i want to go beyond the index page. I'm honestly not "feeling" your ability to design websites from the lack of adventure on your colour choice. Take for example my personal site, i have a dark background with an orange outline appearing just to add a bit of life to the site. I also have used different shades of gray to continue with the darker theme to the site. If you were to use a range of blue colours then you might have something. Maybe add a border around the bottom of the content box? something that just defines an area of the site.

With regards to the images? I'm not really sure why, but for some reason you've set the "header.gif" file a certain width through your coding. The actual image is 600px by 100px yet in your coding you've chosen to change the width to 700px by 110px. This to me is a big "no no", infact it hurts me to see people still doing this to sites. No image should ever be enlarged or reduced to a certain size through the coding. If you want the image to be 700px by 110px then go into an image editing software and change the width then save and resubmit it to your site.

I'm not really sure what the image on the left actually is, i see what you are doing with the bubbles, but it cuts off when you get to the header.gif file. This means you have some half bubbles. If you wanted to really make that work then it might be an idea to just remove the "half bubbles" at the top of the image before doing the resubmit to the site.

It is not a bad website, but i'm really not convinced you're in a position to design website for people. I don't know how much experience you have or what you are aware of, but i can't see you making a living out of this.

Please don't take this post as a form of criticism. I would be irresponsible if i was to just leave a post saying that it is great. It's not the worst site i've seen, but it's not the best either.
  • loki_ison
  • loki_ison

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know the text is awful..im dyslexic and have a trerrible time write any large ammount of text like that..i did try getting my brother to re-write it all for me..but well..i waited over a month and still he hasnt got back to me lol

My web design skills are along the basic side..im still learning as we speak. HTML and CSS i can manage fairly well but when it gets past that im in deep water. i know i will never make a full time living from this site..the market for one would be too hard to try to..but i am aiming at just picking up a few commissions so that i have a little money coming in..at the moment im kinda screwed for cash hehe

Web design and scuba diving are an odd mix i have to admit..but being a pro diver myself i have alot of contacts in the industy around the world so get to hear when someone needs work done etc. also with a good very good understanding of the buisness side of diving it should help me get along better with the centers.

the image on the left hand side is of a regulator (the thing that regulats the air flow into a divers mouth) i think all divers will recognise the image even in the destorted state :)

btw i like your photos Nightlight and Exposure :)
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't think of anything that hasn't been said already. But overall IMO, the site looks dated and somewhat unprofessional. And I think it would really hurt your credibility. Added to the look and feel of the site, you have no samples of your work. And that is the first thing people want to see. Maybe you could act as a broker or middle man for your friends that have dive centers...
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seriously, what's with all the blue? It hurts the eyes.
  • rosad
  • rosad

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think this site not good, what happens with blue?
  • ziipa
  • Born
  • Born
  • ziipa

Post 3+ Months Ago

My advice is search a few of your competitors and see the difference.
The blue is very hard to look at.
Re design the site.
  • locking
  • locking

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you should change everything, be you own first customer. With that design you don't have a chance. take care
  • wsdjr
  • wsdjr

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try coping your text and paste it in Microsoft word- your spelling and other mistakes can be corrected there.

It is obviouse that you just started-believe me-I still need alot of learning and i have been doing this for over two years.

Try not to use to much color-this almost distracts the visitor-some color and even alot of color is necessary but since you are beginning-do not use color that much untill you get an idea of how to use your colors and graphics.

At this level-use only text and maybe a pho or two. Maybe learnig to use text especially spelling should be your priotity-I want to check back with you.

Hang in there-
  • jfrasier
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately, the site looks like it was cranked out of a FrontPage, or Word or something. Very dated. The teal background and the blue are totally conflicted. I would recommend going to http://www.colorschemer.com they have a free web tool to help with color schemes.

Also, one of the most important things in a web site, almost as important as the layout, is the professionalism of copy. You need to really think about what your message is. The way it is now, it seems more like a blog page then anything else.

Site visitors do not want to know why they visited your site. I am sure they all ready know what drove them there in the first place. A website is like a magazine, or any other type marketing collateral, and as such, needs to be well planned, and developed. Look more into <div> tags and CSS.

Overall I would have to say back to the drawing board.
  • raziel23x
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Canton Mi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well looking at the Sight personally It does now show off what you can do as far as web design. I have a few friends who do this type of work and when you go to there website Your just in Awe to how the sight is fluid and seamless. Your sight on the other hand looks as though it was just was using a page builder that is built in a free web hosting site.
  • scientia
  • Born
  • Born
  • scientia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great job!
Little more design and will be great!
  • Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Sydney, Ozland.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Argh my eyes, I can not even look at it! Sorry this was useless, but, honestly change the colour so people can at least look at the site ;)
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

it does need more work. my advice would be to take a look at some templates and see how sites look these days..... the one you made is really not going to bring you much design work. the thing is - if you were selling something else, you could say 'well it doesn't matter how the site looks - the point is the product...' but in this case, the site is the product - it's your first demonstration to potential clients of what you can do in web design.

try to select a happy color combination through kuler, then pick out a layout you like and try and make something a little slicker....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers