SITE REVIEW: Seach Engine

• Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce
  • Loc: North Carolina

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a nice, clean, simple layout, but like everyone has said. What makes a user want to use your search engine over Google, which ironically is your search engine. The only way to have your OWN search engine is to code one yourself, otherwise, you're saying you made that one.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• wish71
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wish71
  • Loc: Italy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really not impressed...

Design is simple but beside that.....

Why a search engine ?

What for?

There are already too many and you are not offering a new one but some powered by.... so same result of google.......
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the bit that tells you your internet details (IP address/ host) - how did you do that?

It's so neat :)
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce
  • Loc: North Carolina

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a simple PHP script.

<?php
$ipfind = getenv("REMOTE_ADDR");
$httpreffind = getenv ("HTTP_REFERER");
$httpagentfind = getenv ("HTTP_USER_AGENT");

echo "IP: $ipfind<br/>HTTP Referrer: $httpreffind<br/>User Agent: $httpagentfind";
?>

I use it in my contact form XD.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool! thanks :) I'll try it out.......
  • lucky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeh, as bryce said, very easy piece of code. Thanks also to Jonny for the pm. He found out how to search mp3 songs for free. very useful.

Go to http://www.ilumu.com. Type the following into the search box:

?intitle:index.of? mp3 [artist] [title]

Replace [artist] with the artist/singer/band you’re looking for and [title] with the song title.

For example, typing in:

?intitle:index.of? mp3 queen bohemian rhapsody

gives you all these sources for this song http://www.ilumu.com/search.php?query=% ... y&www=true
  • webbmonarken
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Sweden, Luleå

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maby you could add a build in proxy?
or..

Google stores cookies.. make shure the site protect people from cookies and stuff..? haha ? ;)

Make it the most integrety protecting serchengine ever.
Not everyone care about that..
But you will have something that google dosnt offer.. ;)

Remove the movie..

Instead you could have joke of the day..

All love jokes right? =)
  • p7
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • p7

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a few things to comment on about this site.

The links at the top of the search engine on the top of the page some of them I don't even think work correctly. I am talking about the Bookmark and Make homepage links at the top of the page. These would be o.k. but only if they work right. It would be great to have people want to use your site as their homepage though.

The picture of the day idea is o.k. but on my small monitor that is only 15 inches I have to scroll down a little bit to see the full picture.

Like a few others have said it may be a good idea to pick a topic that lots of people would like and try to focus on that such as movies or music etc. This is also a possible way to add some more content as well. But this must be somewhat focused on a few things instead of a whole bunch of things that may cause people to lose focus while they are on your site. There is a way to have google just search things within your own site or across the web as well I just can't remember it right now.

The exact same links are at the bottom of the page as well. This seems a little redundant to me. Choose where you want the links to be but only have them one place on the page.

There is also another search engine at the bottom of the page. Why would a person want to use that one over the one at the top of the page?

These are just some of my observations and I am not really trying to be overly critical on my very first post. I just found some of the things I mentioned a little annoying and they would probably prevent me from coming back.
  • lucky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi there p7
thanks for your options
are you using firefox? i tested it using IE and the bookmark and homepage links work.
i haven't really had time recently to sort out a niche for the site. there are already a lot of music/movies portals, and i don't expect this site to be a big competitor, although i would like to generate a little revenue from it (to cover hosting and domain fees)!
  • p7
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • p7

Post 3+ Months Ago

One other quick thing. I am not getting any results when I type in words in the search engine at the top of the page. I think that this would really annoy people as well because it is the main feature at the top of the page.

People use a search engine because they want to go somewhere else. And at the present time this not even happening.
  • p7
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • p7

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucky wrote:
hi there p7
thanks for your options
are you using firefox?

Yes I am using firefox that may be the problem there.

One other thing I just used movies and music as examples. There are many things that a person can talk about on the Internet. :wink:
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SELL some advertising space...
  • lucky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi
where should i place the banners, and how much should i charge?
thanks
  • wayzee
  • wayzee
  • Loc: pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

add some unique content to your site

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 44 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers