SITE REVIEW: Shattered Skull clan

• black knight
  • black knight

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

this is my first site,
http://users.skynet.be/shatteredskull/

learned HTML and made the site in 2 weeks.

Wanted to have some oppinions of experts

Tijl
  • sam
  • sam

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's an impressive site for your first, the layout is clear and simple. It's good to see a banner and graphic style that sets the mood, and actually helps to make the navigation simple and clear. It's totally uncluttered. The background and graphics throughout are great

One thing i would say, is that you haven't allowed your links and content much room to breathe. At the moment they bang against the left and right side of the page. I think with slight margins on both sides, your site would be much improved.

Also, although it is far better than having a small and hard to read font, I think the font you've chosen is really huge in comparison to most sites. Nothing wrong with that, but stylistically it is a bit striking, and it's possible that it makes large blocks of text hard to read. I found myself leaning back a bit to read some of it.

The only thing I didn't really like, was that the "forum" section opened a php page over the top of the current one. I think if you aren't going to make your whole site in php and keep it consistent throughout, you should open a new window for the forum section. Pop-ups, where necessary, are worth doing to avoid people hitting back on the browser. Just my opinion. I know the banner (which is kick ass) takes you back, but I still think it's just too jarring to get thrown totally from the site into that php forum.

Good work overall though. Love how you've gone big with the links etc. Getting sick of sites trying to look "clean" by having miniscule text and links.
  • puKKa
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm. maybe its just me atm but the site loaded slow and the rollover graphics loaded slow.

otherwise it looks good
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi

yeah i think your site looks great and is quite unusual (as sam said) in that it is big and in your face. but I think you pull it off very well so kudos to you.

I completely agree with the point about the forum - it definitely needs to open in a new window. This is fairly standard practice with forums, and with good reason.

I also think you need to add some small margins as mentioned above - it looks cramped against the sides like that.

Unless it's deliberate, I would have the races and classes buttons flush with the rest of them , instead of leaving a gap.

Your rollover images don't appear to preload - seeing as this is so easy and quick to do, I would recommend you insert the little javascript doobie required.

the site looks fine in any res i try (only in IE6 though), so seems to be coded pretty soundly, and to do all that in two weeks with no prior experience is really good! nice one

chris
  • black knight
  • black knight

Post 3+ Months Ago

thx alot :)

I notticed the forum loaded in the same window, but forgot to change it.
I was going to add a php forum on the site, but because my provider doesn't support php (unless I pay) I had to search another forum.
I'll try and add some margins too.

But I don't know anything about javascripts so I can't fix the buttons :(

Tijl
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey tijl

paste this into your html between the <head> and </head> tags (mine's just after the meta tags)

Code: [ Select ]
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">
<!--
function MM_preloadImages() { //v3.0
 var d=document; if(d.images){ if(!d.MM_p) d.MM_p=new Array();
  var i,j=d.MM_p.length,a=MM_preloadImages.arguments; for(i=0; i<a.length; i++)
  if (a[i].indexOf("#")!=0){ d.MM_p[j]=new Image; d.MM_p[j++].src=a[i];}}
}
//-->
</script>
  1. <script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">
  2. <!--
  3. function MM_preloadImages() { //v3.0
  4.  var d=document; if(d.images){ if(!d.MM_p) d.MM_p=new Array();
  5.   var i,j=d.MM_p.length,a=MM_preloadImages.arguments; for(i=0; i<a.length; i++)
  6.   if (a[i].indexOf("#")!=0){ d.MM_p[j]=new Image; d.MM_p[j++].src=a[i];}}
  7. }
  8. //-->
  9. </script>

then include this in the first line of your html where the <body> tag is:

onLoad="MM_preloadImages('yourrolloverpic1.gif','yourrolloverpic2.gif','yourrolloverpic3.gif')"

etc for all your button's rollover images.
eg my first line after the </head> tag reads:

<body background="bkg.gif" onLoad="MM_preloadImages('buttons/1b.png','buttons/2b.png','buttons/3b.png','buttons/4b.png','buttons/5b.png')">

don't think there's any mistakes in there but ne1 correct me if I'm wrong lol :)

hope that helps
chris
  • webmasterbrain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmasterbrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm guessing, maybe you designed this site on a high resolution? anyway, it still works and looks good.

My advice would be:

1. Make it work at a 800 x 600 res: Some people still use this resolution, and they would have to scroll horizontally to read your text, which is a bit annoying.

2. Optimize your images: I tested it on a 56k modem, and although it looks good, I might never had known if I was at all impatient, since it took a long time to download. Some ways to do this: make your images smaller, reduce pallates in gifs, use less images, higher compression of JPEGS, and finally reuse images when possible.

Thats all. Great site, otherwise.
  • bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well Frontpage is good and you can get a copy of the trial and do what you want to get the illegal copy. But overall when WOW is up let me know about your clan and I'll join I'm on the beta and its awsome...Anyways I like your site seeing as your a beginner and need any help e-mail me. 8 out of 10
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Butler, Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOW! For your 1st site, you did one HECK OF A JOB!!! I believe that your banner rocks. I immediately understood what you were going to talk about! Your nav buttons are functioning just fine for me. I did encounter some latency in opening up only 2 of your pages (forms, and oh poopers! i forgot the second name.)

I can't do that much with my site but you did an excellent job. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

All advice is good advice!!
  • black knight
  • black knight

Post 3+ Months Ago

thx, Chris :D
that will help

I'll try to fix the other stuff as well, but haven't got much time right now. Especially the pictures, because some people seem to have troubles loading the site. It's because I have ADSL that I didn't notice this before.

for 800x600 users there shouldn't be any problem, I tested it on different PC's. Only the banner is a few pixels too width and the buttons look too big on that resolution.
I might reduce the font size a bit because it looks really big on 800x600.

btw: bluedragon, feel free to visit the forums if you want to know more about the clan

thx again for all the nice replies

Tijl

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers