SITE REVIEW: silent-ops.com

• webbo
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've created a site based on my research to deliver a rather informative website. All I can is that I started creating this a while ago and realized how much input there really was out there on this particular subject (found me three years of research). Any more ideas for improvement + design tips would be hugely appreciated.

I'm looking to swap %'s for pixel widths for a more dynamic website. Love to lose frames, what do you think? Thanks
http://www.silent-ops.com
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah the frames could easily be left out.

I love the layout you have right now, it fits perfectly! The only thing I noticed that could change would be your guestbook. If you have CGI access use Bigwebmasters (third link at the bottom of http://www.ozzu.com) since it wont link to tripod which equals pop-ups. Otherwise I am sure you could find a php guestbook at http://www.hotscripts.com. Very good job!

I also think that people use <div> tags instead of frames, not positive yet (my next page will probably use div tags..............)
  • norb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Portugal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site looks great and the initial page really gives it the right "war-game" feeling.

In the left bar you could use a transition between the topic-name bar and the background. I am talking about the "Regiment", "SAS Operations"... etc bars. A blur may be nice.

The site does have a "heavy" load. Each of the SAS Operations loads new backgrounds etc, making the site navigation slow the first navigations.

The site content is great and that's what's it's all about.

cheers
  • Alan2
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just took a good look at your site, Very nice design. :)

read all about the SAS, Only one thing, I keep nodding off and right clicking on the mouse. lol.

*Which makes the computer bleep and wake me up again with a "copywright" Click Ok window. :)

But I think you could possibly loose the Left menu and go towards the Button bar accross the top opening the seperate pages below. Which then in turn open the other pages.

So keep the frames. :)

< I like frames when used in the right places and ways.
i don't want to post my current "Personal Page" untill I do another re-build of it. :)
  • Swami Barmi
  • Swami Barmi

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the stark, secret air about the site. Certainly evokes your subject well. As the others have said, the left frame could be dispensed with...perhaps activating the tabs instead of using them as inactive headings?

Mac
  • Scribbler
  • Scribbler
  • Loc: New Castle, DE

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the way the site is set up graphically, as it certainly sets the tone of the sites content. I did sign your guestbook but I'd recommend scrapping it for a less involved one. It asked a lot of questions but displayed very little of what I entered (in my case anyway). Also, I see no sense in having a guestbook where you can hide what you've written from the readers. The way I see it, since guestbooks are just for short comments, they should be readable by all. If a comment I post is too long or of a private nature, I'd just send you an email.
I agree about the frames. Personally I've never liked them. There is a site called "dynamic drive" which has a lot of index-type javascript, etc. which may have an adequate substitute. Other than that I do like the graphics. It gives me a watching the History Channel kind of feeling.
  • mustardplaster
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mustardplaster
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the look and feel of the site. I think as said above that the frames can be left out just have the same but running down the page. apart from some browsers having trouble withe them it makes the page look a bit strange when refreshing.

The content and colors of the site are excellent and fit in well as with the content. I was "kept" interested and read a bit of the site. I like on the operations page the background pretty cool having an image that doesn't detract from th eforground I cannot think of another site that has managed to do that successfully.

Nice work - can see that effort has been put into it.
  • drtydawg
  • Loc: Ft. Lauderdale

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the design and colors
the only thing i cant read the red letters in header
  • kylebacc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kylebacc
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

This site is awsome! Loose the frames though. And you may want to put a border (just a small line) around the topics on the left menu...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers