SITE REVIEW: Sleepless Dreams

• Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd like some comments and suggestions on my personal site <a href="http://www.driftingspace.com/sleepless/" target="_blank">Sleepless Dreams</a>. I know that there are a few things wrong and I've been working to fix them, I just wanted to know if anyone spotted anything else. Thanks much!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice page! I like the color scheme, and the page has a great theme. The graphics look great. Just a few minor things, the iframe is a teeny bit to big for the thought bubble, and the graphics dont line up by about 3 pixels with the iframe...Nothing big though!

Great job and glad to see you posted it instead of me ;)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

^bump^
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site seems well designed. I however have never liked sites that popup their main site in a console. Its nothing specific to how you are doing it, I just dislike it in general.

On your main page I like the image of the dog and how it seems slightly blurred. It gives it a nice dreamy touch.

Your links section is okay, but its missing two very important links in the Site Building Resources area:

http://www.ozzu.com/
http://www.bigwebmaster.com/

LOL, sorry couldn't resist.

I am viewing the site from IE 6 with no problems. I also checked it out with Netscape 7 and it works exactly the same, so no problems there. I did not check your site in earlier Netscape or IE browsers, and did not check in Opera.
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, Bigwebmaster! :D I've been meaning to add both of your sites, but I kept forgetting. I'll go do it now! :D
I also dislike pop-ups, but I couldn't figure out how to position my links correctly and get my whole layout centered on the page. A pop-up seemed to be the only solution, but I'm sure it's not.
Oh, and I did check it in Opera a while back and there were a few things that I had to fix.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess I didn't. So here goes.

Not much criticism. I like it. (*lol -- another teenager makes me feel like an old fart!)

The only thing I would suggest is this: You have your nav links set to open in a new window. I generally follow this policy -- if the link goes to somewhere else on my site (or my client's site, as it were), I open it in the parent window. No reason to frustrate your viewers with new windows since they are still on your site. However, if the link leads offsite, then target="_blank" is the general rule. That's when I want them to close the new window and still be at my site.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is exactly what I tend to try to do as well ATNO/TW.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe she could make the link to the popup have onClick="window.close()" or whatever the script is...to lazy to look it up :-P
  • solidsaving
  • solidsaving
  • Loc: ca

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site is cool although I dont like the idea that it takes me to another page later.
  • webbo
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a little chuckle reading the intro and took me a little while to click that the bubbles were actually links. Nice little personal site you have there, don't need a lot more than that. :wink:
  • norb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Portugal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

What a cute site! There is no better word to describe it. Generally well made and organised.

I don't like the initial popup either. But to have layers showing in the right place, there is no better choice. I don't do coding, but Dreamweaver does create the behaviour for me, so putting "close window" function just after the "open browser window" might be a good idea.

Cheers
  • sc@rface
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

very nice site, i like how the actual site is in a popup, nice colors, nice navigation, very creative
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow! you are a very beautiful and talented young lady. i love the website (especially the puppy on the front!). My only comment would be to put the menu names on the thought bubbles as well as having them change when rolled over. I was thinking ummmm where is the menu! hehe.

:D
Rose
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

PS: i am viewing on a 800x600 IE 6.0 and it looks fine :D
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks everyone! :D

Hrmm...closing the parent window when opening the pop-up does sound like a good idea, but I'm sure that many visitors would find that annoying as well. What if the visitor had come from a page that they'd like to go back to? Sure they could just look in their history to find it again...but I know that most of my friends don't know how to do that. :icontongue:

Musik: I did the menu as I did because I just thought that it looked funny to have them all showing at the same time. I'll play around with it, though, and maybe do some sort of fade-in like the buttons on IMadmin's site.
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Layout isnt bad, I dont like how people do that pop-up window thing for there sites it makes me X them out when im trying to close pop-ups. I dont really like Iframes (Actually I hate them) but I feel that type of layout depends on it....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers